“Hospitality and location are awesome!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast
13th and Q Street NW, Logan Circle, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ranked #9 of 50 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Cleveland, Ohio
“Hospitality and location are awesome!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2013

My two friends and I were going to spend 2 nights. However, one of my friend's motorcycles broke down and we ended up only spending one night. There was never any mention of returning all or part of our money for the night not spent there. This didn't bother us so much although it would have been greatly appreciated as we are on a tight budget.
However, the thing that bothered me the most was the fact that I left my purse there and instead of doing me the courtesy of mailing it back to me and absorbing the $15 cost....Jane, the owner, went into my wallet and took out the mailing fee. I told her she could...but what choice did I have I live in Cleveland and needed my ID and credit cards....since she had $160 of our money for the room not stayed in it would have been a nice courtesy to have returned it gratis.
However, that said the room was clean, shower, however, was cold, breakfast was scrumptious, and staff were courteous and helpful. Cookies were amazing.

Room Tip: There is one room (not sure the number) that has a large kingbed and a day bed. The bathroom is smal...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
bnbaccomDC, Owner at Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
It has been quite stressful to reply to this review. Despite giving us reasonably positive ratings, this guest makes some comments that quite honestly are hard not take very personally. This September celebrates our 30th year welcoming guests to our home. In all our years, we have enjoyed thousands of guests, many who have become long treasured friends. It is certainly unfortunate they encountered mechanical troubles with one of their motorcycles; however they also did not tell us they would not be arriving until after 8pm, well after a reasonable time to re-sell the room reserved and after many hours of our evening waiting for them. We do not feel the financial responsibility should have rested with us. Further, with respect to mailing her purse, this guest expressly requested that the purse be mailed to her by express overnight delivery—the most expensive shipping method possible. The actual cost was $25.05, which we recovered $20 taken from the wallet in the purse at her direction. Meeting her needs also required waiting in line at the post office for close to an hour, and rearranging my Monday morning schedule in order to get the purse mailed in the timeliest fashion she insisted was needed. Her expectation was actually that we should have done this on Sunday, hours after their departure, finding some miracle shipping establishment open on a Sunday. We love our guests, and thoroughly enjoy our interactions while they are spending time here in Washington. We know thankfully; most mornings, we will enjoy a full table of great guests reminding us how much we enjoy this business.

209 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Clarksboro, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed a two night stay at the Aaron Shipman House in room #6. The home is beautifully restored and meticulously cared for. Our room was very comfortable and clean. We did not make use of the jacuzzi (the original reason we chose this room) due in part that it has some protrusions on the bottom of it that look as thought they'd be very uncomfortable and that it may have been a tight fit for the pair of us. The shower, however was very spacious. The water temperature and pressure were very good. Breakfast service was announced each morning over the in-room tele-com system. If you did not want to partake in breakfast or had a special request, the night before you could simply note your preference on the kitchen's whiteboard. A Keurig coffee maker and tea were readily available in the kitchen at all hours. Freshly baked cookies were always available on a small server near the front door. I believe this was my husband's favorite amenity.

The owner, Charles, was an absolute delight. Each morning he would join the guests for a family style breakfast where he would help promote conversation among everyone. (“family style” = no assigned seating, we all sat at one long table together, and we passed the plates around the table serving ourselves as much or as little as we liked.) These morning conversations were one of the highlights of our trip. It was wonderful to hear travel stories from other guests, learn about the area and the Aaron Shipman house's history from Charles, and enjoy many hearty laughs. Although the breakfast start time was fixed at 8am, everyone was free to linger and chat for as long as they pleased. Charles even has a photo album showing the restoration of the home that he was happy to allow my husband and I to peruse while he answered all of our questions about each photo, etc. We were very sorry to have missed out on meeting his wife, Jackie, as she was traveling during our stay.

Another huge plus for us is that the Aaron Shipman House is an easy walk to the Metro subway line. We used the “Shaw” station as it was the closest and easiest walk from the B&B (from Q Street; we went left on Vermont Ave, right onto R Street, arriving at 8th & R where the Shaw Metro Station is located. Just a few blocks / under 8 minutes walk). We did not drive anywhere in DC since the Metro subway and Circulator bus lines have stops at or near every point of interest. The subways are exceptionally clean and we felt completely safe the entire trip (unlike may other city subways on which we have traveled). Finding our way around using the Metro was surprisingly easy. And if we had any questions, the Aaron Shipman House staff we always willing to help. Janice, Grace, and Marie were an absolute pleasure. A nicer group of people would be hard to find.

In summary; the location is great, the home is beautiful, we wanted for nothing, we felt welcomed from the moment of our arrival, and the Aaron Shipman House 'family' are among the nicest we have ever had the pleasure of meeting. A “5 star” experience all around.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is quiet
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

We stayed at the Aaron Shipman for 10 nights when we arrived in DC from Australia. We were in the basement apartment, so were fully self contained with a completely equipped kitchen of our own, a small outdoor area and a bedroom that is separate to the living space. The accommodation was nice, comfortable and convenient and had everything that we would need to stay for as long as we wanted. The location is fabulous - 300m to an excellent grocery store, and some of the best bars and restaurants in DC are just around the corner (about 100m away). Jackie and Charles were wonderful, friendly, hospital and knowledgeable hosts - and when we decided to join them for breakfast it was a delicious meal! We will definitely be looking to use this accommodation for our future long term visits to DC.

Room Tip: Basement Apartment was great for longer term, self sufficient living. Only down side being that ther...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Pawleys Island, South Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Charles and Jackie were wonderful host. Location was perfect. Their home is lovely. Breakfast was outstanding we meet all the other guest which was nice. Our room on the the 3rd floor was very quite and comfortable. We had a great stay. I'd give our stay an A. Thanks Jackie and Charles love those cookies!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

We purchased two parking spaces; we parked one car and went to the theater with the second car. When we came home after the theater our second space was occupied. So we paid that space but still had to park on the street late at night.

• Stayed August 2013
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Charles and Jackie are the best, clean, comfy and just all around lovely. The location is perfect and it really is all that you can ask for.

I have stayed twice, once with my wife and once with my son and it is where I will be staying from now on when I go to DC.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2013

My friend and I spent a 3 day weekend here and it was just wonderful. The host is charming and informative and the house is simply beautiful breakfast is great, and, having a formal breakfast is an excellent way to meet the other guests. I love places that do this!

We booked the two rooms that share a bath in the hallway right outside, which is a good way to keep costs down while still staying in a nice place.

The house is close to many trendy restaurants and it is wonderful just to walk through the streets lined with beautiful old homes.

I higly recommend!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!