“A real MUST STAY!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast
Save Saved
You added Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast to your Saves list
13th and Q Street NW, Logan Circle, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Upper Northwest)   |
Ranked #9 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Indianapolis, Indiana
“A real MUST STAY!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

I have thoroughly enjoyed my stays at the Shipman House for many years. While I am usually in town for business, this time I had the pleasure of taking my daughter on a holiday getaway. I love the way Jackie & Charles are such genuinely kindhearted hosts& always prepared to accommodate various situations. (my daughter is vegetarian) I can't say enough about the breakfast, not your “run of the mill”. Plenty of fresh fruit, yogurt, breads, & the oh,so yummy egg dishes or french toast! The rooms are always clean & comfortable. But the real bonus this trip was the BEAUTIFUL Christmas decorations. Really revved up our holiday spirit! We are planning to make the Shipman House an annual holiday trip,and would recommend this as a “must stay” for anyone! This B&B is an attraction in itself. From the beautiful wood work inside to the garden patio area outside. Thanks for a wonderful visit. See you in February!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I recently had business in Washington DC and a friend recommended I stay at Aaron Shipman House. I'm so glad I took her advice! After long days of meetings and business dinners, going to this home instead of a hotel was so comforting. Almost like going home. The house is beautiful. Holiday decorations adorned all of the common spaces - - absolutely gorgeous! Fresh cookies greeted me at the door. The room was immaculately cleaned and comfortable. My hosts, Jackie and Charles Reed, were very welcoming and pleasant. Eggs benedict for breakfast one day -- what an unexpected treat!

I will absolutely stay at this wonderful home the next time I am in Washington, and I wholeheartedly recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Although the location was fine, the room was rather cold. Grandchildren's noise could be heard until midnight. Breakfast was only served at 8:00 with no flexibility. It was a very poor quality breakfast compared to other B & B 's we had stayed at. Although we were told to park inside, every night we arrived there was another guest's car inside, and we had to park outside. The bathroom's tap pressure was very low (in room two). In our opinion this was not a high quality bed and breakfast comparing to the many other B&Bs we have stayed in. Probably we will stay at a hotel for our next visit instead.

• Stayed December 2012
Spotsylvania, Virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012 via mobile

Let me start off by saying the house is beautiful and the location is perfect-We prefer B&B's over hotels due to the personal service and extras most B&Bs offer. Jackie and Charles were wonderful host and very friendly-however, when we arrived parking was crazy--you park in a little lot behind the house (which was full when we arrived) and we were told to get everything out of our car. However, we did upgrade and ended up parking behind a gate right behind the house. If this is something you want to do arrange it before you go, there are only 2 spots and there may not be availability. Breakfast was also a little crazy-food was not impressive. We had scrambled eggs,bacon and biscuits. Fruit and cake was also offered. Being that we are regulars at B&Bs we are use to a more unique breakfast which usually consists of a few different courses and in some cases different options are offered. The biggest issue we had though was the forced conversation at breakfast--at B&Bs you always end up meeting new people and we have often found we are still talking to new people well after breakfast was over. This was different though. They want you to introduce yourself and tell where you are from-the host sit with you at breakfast (1st time we have seen this also) along with possible grandchildren who didn't wear their shoes to the table. I understand that they live at the house full time but I found it unacceptable they didn't have shoes or socks on at the table of complete strangers. We talked with another couple who were 1st timers at B&Bs and they loved it. So maybe it's us, being regulars at B&Bs it just wasn't what we were use to, for others it may be fine.

• Stayed December 2012
bnbaccomDC, Owner at Aaron Shipman House Bed and Breakfast, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
It is always difficult to hear when a guest does not thoroughly enjoy their stay in our home. We do appreciate all their positive comments, especially about the house. The Aaron Shipman House has been our personal home for 37 years, and a B&B for 28. Perhaps we do operate differently than other Bed and Breakfasts, but the personal nature of our home is one of the reasons we have done it for so long. We enjoy breakfast with our guests, engaging in the conversation, and in some cases, developing friendships well beyond their stay. Many have told us this is also a treasured part of their stay with us. Over the years, we have seen friendships develop that started at our breakfast table, including 2 weddings. We do generally start the morning with a quick introduction with first name, and whatever other information a guest wishes to share. From there, conversation always takes its own course, and we are sorry if this was not enjoyable to these guests. Breakfast is prepared by myself, and is served family style. We feel we offer a plentiful breakfast with many choices, but it is true, as we serve family style, there is just one main dish each morning. We work hard to try to keep the choices varied, and while trying to meet special needs such as vegetarian, lactose intolerant or gluten free. We are in agreement concerning our grandchildren’s attire at the breakfast table. They absolutely should have had shoes and socks on, a conversation we have had, but ultimately we were not able to achieve cooperation. They were visiting, and have since returned home. Future guests should not encounter this issue. Our normal arrival instructions are to pull to the front of our house, where we can greet guests, then direct and meet them at our designated parking. We are in the heart of a big city, and parking here is always a challenge. We are fortunate to have parking for 6 cars, but as we have 2 cars ourselves as well as 7 guest rooms, parking is something we manage. These guests chose to seek out the parking prior to checking in, and when they found it difficult, called our reservation service instead of us directly. The service contacted us immediately, and our housekeeper met them within minutes. We feel we reacted in a timely and efficient manner. It has always been our advice to not leave anything of value in your car, no matter where you park in the city. While our parking is on private property, it is still open and visible to anyone. We continue to believe this is just smart advice. No one would want their vacation spoiled with a car break in. We know our style may not fit the needs of every traveler and encourage any guest to read our reviews, and ask any questions or concerns to be sure our home is the right choice for their stay in Washington.
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

Beautiful house lovingly restored, delicious and plentiful breakfasts, perfect location. You should see the woodwork all stripped manually. If that wasn't enough, the hosts, Jackie and Charlie, treated us as members of the family. Would go back anytime.

Room Tip: Room 7 in the back corner of the third floor is small, cozy, well-lit (2 windows) and very quiet. A...