“Very good, make a reservation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Founding Farmers

Founding Farmers
1924 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington DC, DC 20006-3607 (Dupont Circle)
+1 202-822-8783
Website
Menu
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
Founding Farmers is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 2,623 restaurants in Washington DC
Cuisines: American, Dessert, Vegan, Vegetarian
Good for: Bar scene, Doing business, Local cuisine
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Cross street: 20th St. / Pennsylvania Ave. (Foggy Bottom)
Transit: There are two Metro stops within 3 blocks of the restaurant, Orange/Blue lines at Farragut West or Foggy Bottom/GWU. The red DC Circulator bus Georgetown/Union Station line stops on Pennsylvania Ave. at 21st street, as well as on K Street and on 19th, all just one block away.
Description: We serve only fresh, American Family Farm sourced ingredients in our great signature dishes like Chicken Pot Pie, Butcher's Cut meats, Chicken N' Waffles, big green salads, rustic farm sandwiches and soups, tall, delectable pies and desserts, in an atmosphere that's comfortable and welcoming like a farmhouse. Founding Farmers is a Certified Green Restaurant, operates Carbon Neutral with offset credits via CarbonFund, and has been designed to meet LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold certification criteria. Founding Farmers was the first LEED Gold restaurant in DC, and was the first full service, upscale LEED Gold restaurant in the U.S. We are proud of our partnership with George Washington University and have established an annual $5,000 scholarship for a student studying sustainability, and have recently enhanced our partnership with an apiary (beehive) on Lisner Hall.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Very good, make a reservation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

FoundingFarmers is a very good place to eat in DC. The prices are a little high, and you definately need a reservation, but in the end I think it is worth it. This is a nice dinner with friends kind of place more than a quick business lunch, I think. The mussels are good as was the lobster mac and cheese. There are a lot of things to choose from, and ask the wait staff lots of questions because they know a lot about the menu and are happy to help.

Visited March 2012

84% Recommend
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Herndon, Virginia
“Great holiday breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

My daughter (home from college) and I were on our way to walk around Georgetown on Christmas Eve. Deciding to start with breakfast downtown, we searched various options and settled on Founding Farmers, based largely on the reviews here. With the federal government's decision to close that day, parking was no problem, and the crowd that reportedly causes long waits on weekends did not materialize that morning. We were seated right away, upstairs. The restaurant was bustling, just not packed to overflowing. The service was great, we both enjoyed our entrées, and the hot beignets were a wonderful treat. We did not feel at all rushed, and certainly did not leave hungry. Our coffee cups were refilled regularly. Our table for two was quite close to those on either side of us, but we weren't bothered by that. We enjoyed the decor-- even the bathroom (only saw the inside of one of them) was pleasant and informative. (Yes, informative-- sage advice on the wall, such as, "No man was ever shot while doing the dishes.") The breakfast tab was reasonable, though not cheap-- a total that I would be more accustomed to paying for lunch than breakfast, but then again, the order of beignets was an extra, and my daughter ordered an extra side of fresh fruit, so I felt we got great value for our money. A perfect start to a pre-Christmas dad-and-daughter downtown date!

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
milwaukee
“Solid”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went for Brunch on a weekend. Good well done food, smaller than expected portions.

The space can get loud.

The staff is very good.

Visited January 2013
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“The best mussles ever”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place is at the back of the building organization where I worked and was (and is) a place I love to visit. The food and cocktails are excellent. They have the best mussles ever - and I have tried many. The only issue is it is crowded and it is very hard to find a seat if you do not have a reservation. Solution - just go earlier.

Visited June 2012
Bethesda
“Just average”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Honestly, I cannot figure out what all the fuss is about ? To start with, the drinks are astronomically priced. I'm not a gourmet spirits person, so I could not taste the difference in my vodka. Then our dinner was OK, but nothing to write home about. In fact, my flank steak was tough, and not very flavorful. The rest of the
food was decent but hardly memorable. I will not go here again.

• Visited December 2012