“A clever conceit” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Surfside

Surfside
2444 Wisconsin Ave NW, Washington DC, DC 20007-1845 (Upper Northwest)
202-337-0004
Neighborhood: Upper Northwest
Washington, DC
“A clever conceit”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2012

Make your own mexican food. Pick whatever ingredients you like and the staff makes up your taco, quesadilla, or what have you. You have no one to blame but yourself. The result is okay. The cooking happens in the open so you can watch, and it looks reasonably professional. Nothing extraordinary, but very edible. I wouldn't drive five miles to eat here, but I'd be happy to go back if I were in the neighborhood. It's not expensive, but if you care about a couple of bucks, eat at the Chipotle nearby instead

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

77% Recommend
Dallas, Texas
“Tasty!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2012

Met up with an old friend in the DC area back in May and she took me to Surfside, one of her favorite eateries. It was a tough choice ordering at the counter from the numerous selections of Caribbean fare and a taco bar. It happened to be Cinco de Mayo so we had our margaritas served in mason jars with our delicious Aruba salad, which consisted of romaine lettuce, tomatos, plump grilled shrimp tossed with a lime Caesar dressing. There's also a full bar. You can't go wrong there.

• Visited May 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
palm desert ca
“Hidden treasure”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2012

Unique little place in Georgetown that serves Caribbean food cafeteria style. It has a wide variety of very tasty choices. You order on a line and are notified when to pick it up. It has its own parking lot across the street.

Visited October 2012
Plain City, Ohio
“Just ok”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

A step above chipotle which is just down the street. Food was fine, but it is very loud unless you eat outside.

Visited September 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
“Not worth it”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We came in about 9 PM on a Wednesday & it was packed. Not realizing there was a ball game on upstairs on the patio/bar, we queued up and filled out our order forms to dine in.

I chose blackened tilapia tacos with chips & queso, while my husband ordered chicken tacos with mole and a side of chicken tortilla soup. The girl that began taking the order was pushed aside by an older man who, in his haste to push us through didn't wait for us to order drinks or give us a buzzer so we'd know when our food was ready. By the time I got his attention regarding the buzzer several other orders had been taken. He looked confused and thrust the little gizmo into my hands. It went off three times, never related to our actual order.

Our food appeared and another, third staff member asked if this was finally our. Taking our 4 plates (very awkward, more plate than food, they could consolidate to make it easier to carry) we went upstairs. There was a table free but no chairs. My husband asked on of the sports-watching patrons if the empty chair near them was free and literally everyone with a spare chair near them pulled it closer, defensively.

Not willing to eat standing up in a noisy bar, we returned to the main floor and asked for our food to go. I got a look from the first clerk I'd ordered from that conveyed her annoyance, but having just paid $35+ for some tacos I wanted to eat them someplace relatively comfortable. With a little eye rolling we got our food and went to our hotel.

I'd give this place 1 star based on service and ambience, but they get 2 because the tacos were good. The blackened fish had a nice spice. The yellow rice was fine. The tortilla chips were decent. The salsa was delicious. Their soup was good for one bite, but proved too oily for my husband to finish. The queso was flavorless and pretty much like paper mâché paste in texture.

Honestly, I wouldn't go again, but if you do stick to the tacos and either go on a quiet night or just get the food to go from the start.

• Visited August 2012