“Beautiful Hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

You added The St. Regis Washington, D.C. to your Saves list
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   923 16th and K Streets, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20006 (Formerly Carlton Hotel) (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Breakfast for 2 Included
Ranked #17 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Michigan
“Beautiful Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This hotel is very beautifully decorated and the staff was extrememly friendly. It is located very close to the White House, so it makes it a good place to stay that is in walking distance to many sites.

I think that some of the things I am going to say may have something to do with the fact that I stayed at a fabulous hotel the night before I was here, but there were a couple of let downs. This may seem small to some people, but it was hard to find any outlets in the room that were not in the bathroom and when you are traveling having all of your devices charged is important. Also, the hotel buffet breakfast was not great. For the price, I would have expected more variety, but it was slightly better than what you would get at a Holiday Inn Express.

There is another hotel in DC I would choose to stay in before here, but it is still an excellent hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit! I have passed along the feedback you provided to the appropriate individuals for follow-up. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Bloomfield Hills, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

If you are looking for a new, state of the art hotel, this is probably not going to be the hotel for you. When you walk in, it feels like you have gone back in time. Lots of wood, crystal and dark colors. Location was great, service was swift, room size was good, bed was great and bathroom was spacious and full of marble.

The elements are there for a top notch hotel, but then you notice some of the things that diminish the experience. Elevator doors squeaking and straining to close, TV in the mirror of the bathroom unwatchable because of static, electric outlets for desk hidden away behind drapes on the wall.

Nothing was a show stopper, but you probably want to check out the competition.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We have addressed the elevator noise and TV reception issues you mentioned. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Thank you again for the valuable feedback as it certainly allows us to improve our service.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2014 via mobile

I stay frequently with the St regis properties and this is not a st regis. Location perfect and value great but rooms and service far away from there usual standard. Staff a little demoralized. If you are looking for a perfect location and good value then this hotel is perfect but don't expect a lot.

• Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry we fell short of your expectations and would welcome the opportunity to speak with you. We are committed to delivering the best experience to all of our guests. I look forward to speaking to you at your earliest convenience.

wilmington,nc
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The staff were attentive, the location great, but the hotel itself was drab and the room was dark, damp and musty. We overlooked the air conditioners and an empty building- a major downer for my 15 year old twins. No water or coffee in the lobby, and parking is $45 a day, which is ridiculous. This was no 5-star hotel. I would not recommend.

Room Tip: Get a room overlooking the street!! And don't let them "upgrade" you- that is the hot...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am sorry we failed to meet your expectations. I welcome the opportunity to speak to you about your review. Please contact me at your earliest convenience. We are committed to exceeding our guest expectations.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I stayed here last week, like a previous reviewer, I used American Express Fine Hotels & Resorts to book the room. Like a previous reviewer, I tried adding my SPG Gold number in advance. Apparently, that wasn't possible as Starwood said they couldn't add it. I had called the hotel directly & left a message asking for it to be added with their reservations team, but that didn't happen. So, consequently, upon arrival, they didn't know I was a gold. Luckily, I had my number in the SPG app, so I was able to receive gold benefits (complimentary internet).

Part of the FHR benefits are breakfast for 2 and $100 F/B credit. I specifically mentioned, at check-in, that my parents would be joining me for breakfast the next day and that I'd be using the credit for that. Sure, no problem, I was told. At check-out, the bill for breakfast for the 3 of us was $122. Only $60 was covered with the breakfast for 2 benefit, and I was told that the $100 F/B credit didn't apply to breakfast - but too other items (had I known this and been informed at check-in, I would have planned accordingly - but this was not made clear). So, I had to pay the additional $62 out of pocket - something that should have been explained correctly when I checked in.

NOW....WITH THAT SAID....I originally wrote this review & then deleted it and am adding this part to it:

I filled out the email survey I received from Starwood. In it, I mentioned by disappointment about the FHR breakfast factor. They actively credit my credit card back for the $62 difference - without me asking for it. I was fine paying it as that was what I expected and I did not make a scene or argue about it at the front desk at checkout at all. But I did chalk it up to experience & accepted that I was paying the extra $62 out of pocket. The fact that they read my survey AND took corrective action on their own without me asking for it, made me change my rating from a 3 to a 5 as this is the service I would want & expect out of St Regis and this type of action creates loyalty.

Now back to my review....

The pros:
-Service, generally a polite & positive interaction with all employees
-Internet worked well throughout the stay
-bathroom amenities were good
-THE PROACTIVE ACTIONS THAT MANAGEMENT TOOK WITHOUT PROMPTING TO CREDIT BACK THE BREAKFAST CHARGES

The cons:
-Shower head wasn't what I'd expect in a luxury hotel - decent pressure, but not a good wide stream
-Towels...I would have expected more plush towels, these towels were rough & reminded me of old Holiday Inn towels rather than those of a luxury hotel.
-The FHR F/B credit and how I wasn't able to utilize it as anticipated - NO LONGER A CON AFTER CHECKOUT....
-The rain killed the TV service...it wasn't a hurricane, it wasn't a crazy lightening or thunderstorm - just regular old rain, not even a hard rain. And that caused the TV to go out. When contacting the front desk, the confirmed with engineering that the rain caused the TV to go out.

From a rate perspective, this hotel cost more than a comparable product would have costed - however the Amex FHR benefits brought in line & the additional after-checkout service was welcomed and makes me more likely to stay at the hotel when in DC in the future.

Room Tip: I only got free wifi due to my elite status - otherwise it's paid.
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the detailed review. I am sorry to read about the issues that should have been better including the reservation process and the overall experience. I have shared all of the feedback with our team and please know that your constructive feedback regarding certain aspects of our product and service is being investigated and all outstanding issues will be resolved in due course. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Manhattan Beach, California, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

I stayed here last week based on the prices I saw on line. It was a very good reasonable price for the St Regis chain which i like.

I was OK with the room, I was first given an accessible room (which was spacious) and then led to my very small room. Nicely decorated, but tiny. Lobby was pretty and the bar looked great. Lots of folks coming and going. Service was not up to the standard in which i remember from other St.Regis hotels. Perfunctory, not warm

All in all, my advice is to see the room first and then book it. I was told that Expedia travelers get lessor rooms. I don't love that.

Might go back, but would shop around.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I would be intrested in obtaining additional feedback from you. I would greatly appreciate speaking to you at your earliest convenience. Regarding third party reservations such as Expedia, we honor the room category our guests confirm during the reservation process. Thank you again for your feedback, I look forward to speaking with you.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

We stayed here for my wife's birthday and our stay was Excellent. I am particular about how I am treated at hotels. The front desk staff, Butler service and restaurant and bar crew,Special thanks to our fantastic bartender Reda who was extreemly friendly and exceeded our expectations for service all pleasant and professional .The hotel was elegant and the rooms were very clean and comfortable.we will definitely be returning

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review. We are delighted that our staff exceeded all of your expectations. Thank you again, we look forward to welcoming you back.