“Wedding & stay at the St Regis, DC” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

You added The St. Regis Washington, D.C. to your Saves list
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   923 16th and K Streets, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20006 (Formerly Carlton Hotel) (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #22 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Hendersonville, North Carolina
“Wedding & stay at the St Regis, DC”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

Had our daughter's wedding at the St Regis in DC over St Pat's weekend - FANTASTIC place and staff!!!
Did the planning long-distance and everything down to the smallest detail was "spot-on", nothing was missed. Alicia and Hector are the best!
From the monment we arrived on Friday until we left on Monday we were treated like family. I can't imagine that there is a better Bellmen staff, especially Caleb, in DC. They took special care to ensure our needs (cars, buses, luggage...) were taken care of.
Highly recommend this hotel if you're looking for a place to have an elegant wedding and be treated special. There Guys Are Good!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, April 9, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are delighted your daughter’s wedding was a fantastic success. Our team is dedicated to creating wonderful experiences for all our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
London W.8.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

A perfect location from which to sally forth and explore the mighty capital. You can walk to almost everywhere. But what makes this place is the courtesy and kindness of all the staff (bar one bolshy old boy in the restaurant). Reception was excellent and the concierges were outstandingly helpful. The very comfortable room came with a 'butler' in attendance - in our case a very large lady tricked out in a tailcoat and white tie - absolutely absurd but so kitsch and she was so charming that we could only be bewitched. We loved staying in this hotel and will certainly return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for the wonderful feedback. We are delighted that our team made sure you had a wonderful visit. We look forward to your return visit very soon.

Hollywood
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

I don't know where to start - I feel like after reading the other reviews, some of those people stayed in a different hotel. The doorman ran to greet us as we rolled up outside, we were quickly given our room key at the front desk and fully welcomed. We were very pleased with our room - music was playing - 2 robes were available, water pressure actually so hard, I had to lower it, and very easy access into and out of the shower. The bed was super soft and large, and our room was very sound proof to the hallway noises. We had staff check on us a few times and actually, because we were running a race that weekend, surprised us with Powerbars, grapes and extra waters for the weekend. The staff always greeted us as we passed in the hallways, and the concierge was very helpful with restaurant, transportation and museum recommendations. There was coffee and many different newspapers - 1 at our door every morning, and several in the lobby, and at lunch time, cookies and lemonade. We requested and received our flight check in and ticket confirmations printed out for us. We were very casually dressed as we were there for a marathon and didn't bring dressy clothes, but were never made to feel that this was frowned upon. I hope my review makes it perfectly clear that we would highly recommend this hotel, it's staff, location, and room quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We completely agree with you, some reviews seem as if the person stayed at a different hotel. We are honored that you recommend our property to anyone that reads your review. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Sliema, Malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel has a fantastic central location, particularly for the leisure traveler and the property is an elegant classical and historical building. The public areas look very well maintained but the room we stayed in was in need of attention and it was terrible to have an office block literally looking in on the room. In general the operational side of the hotel is fine because it is relatively efficient, however it lacks warmth and personal guest attention and experience, Very pleasant, friendly and knowledgeable concierge however, particularly with the kids and the scavenger hunt that he offered to them. Overall a pleasant stay but I did expect better.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are delighted that your family completed the St. Regis Scavenger Hunt that was designed by our award winning Concierge team. We hope that we may have another opportunity to exceed all of your expectations in the future.

New York, NY
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a few weeks as a result of a business trip in Washington D.C. It's not bad, but I didn't find it to have the same standard of St. Regis hotels elsewhere.

Location:
The hotel is well located for proximity to major government buildings, but I found it to be a bit far from things if you visit as a tourist. For example, it's close to the Mall and many museums, but most of the restaurants surrounding the hotel close early, and the ones that remain are not thrilling. The lobby is not impressive.

Rooms:
The base rooms are quite small. I was upgraded, and although my room was large, it was dark and overlooked an air conditioning unit. The rooms are decorated in colonial style, which I've never found appealing. There are no treats given during turndown service, which I found odd but healthy.

Service:
I wasn't thrilled. The concierges tended to be a bit rude and not terribly helpful. The front desk staff was nice, but I had to ask for an iron three times and lodge a complaint before they finally delivered it. (I asked for the iron once each day for three days, so it wasn't a matter of impatience.)

Food:
The only truly outstanding thing about the hotel was room service. I ordered a simple but off-menu item every night (chicken and steamed veggies). The prices they charged for the same dish varied wildly, but the food was very good.

Gym:
For a supposedly posh hotel, the gym was TERRIBLE. Hands down the worst I've seen. It's extremely small but often used, so it feels a bit crowded. Surprisingly, there are none of the free weights, physio balls, or mats that are common in hotel gyms. It's just as well given there was not actual room provided for stretching. Awful. Truly awful.

If you are on an expense account and want the SPG points, you could do worse than booking here. On the other hand, I would assume (hope?) that DC has better hotels to offer.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your detailed review. We will take immediate action to address the service issues you raised. We certainly appreciate all the information you provided and it will certainly allow us to improve our service. Thank you again for the information, we look forward to exceeding all of your expectations in the future.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for three nights in February. When we arrived were given a room without a bath tub, though I'd emailed to request a tub and had received a reply which implied the request would be met. When I phoned to ask about the tub we were moved to a room with a tub that happened to be much nicer. This was a lifesaver since the first room felt small and cramped. The TV was not opposite the bed, so watching it would have been awkward, and there was an old dinged up dresser in the closet. It felt shabby for what we were paying for it. The second room was nicer in every way, including the decor, though I'm still not sure I'd have wanted to pay the sticker price for it.

After the move, my only (minor) complaint is that housekeeping tended to take things away without replacing them. On our first night, we showered before dinner, and then while we were out, housekeeping took our towels without replacing them. The next morning we had to call for new ones. We were given a whole pile of them, but sure enough, they kept disappearing over the next couple of days until we were down to two -- just enough to finish out our stay.

We also discovered that housekeeping had taken away our dirty coffee cups. The next time we made coffee, we drank it out of glasses and assumed that the sight of the glasses with coffee dregs in them would prompt housekeeping to bring new coffee cups. It didn't.

Finally, the shower gel disappeared.

In short, if you manage to get an upgrade or have some kind of discount, this is a pleasant place to stay, though you may have to keep phoning to ask for things. But if you're paying full price, you may be disappointed.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing a detailed review of our hotel. I am very sorry about the housekeeping concerns you raised. There should have been more attention to details when our room attendant serviced your room. The configurations of our rooms do vary. Not all of our rooms have soaking tubs, but we do our best to honor guest requests for rooms with bath tubs. I hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back and exceed all of your expectations in the future. Once again thank you for all the information you provided. We do strive to improve our service every day. We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Teaneck, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

It was a disappointment from the moment we pulled up. First, the front desk had only one person in attendance, who seemed distracted and whose suit was not clean. Then we entered the room, #220, and were struck by the two things immediately: the room was not particularly clean, and the bathroom was extraordinarily small and uncomfortable to use----there was absolutely no room for toiletry bags and the shower was dangerous and hard to use, you literally are required to climb up and down a step ladder to access the shower, which is no fun in your 50s, and even less fun when wet and slippery. Additionally, the water pressure was horrible, and we also noticed that we received one bathrobe, not two, and no soap.

I called down to the desk, to discuss the bathroom, robe and soap; and was told that a better room may become available the next day. That evening I also attempted to to order tea from the butler only to learn that I did not have butler service, something I thought was part of the St Regis experience.

Next day, I called Starwood customer service and reported all this; notwithstanding that this was on Starwood's radar, and that I personally spoke an additional 4 or 5 times with the front desk, including in particular Norberto the front desk manager, during in my entire three day stay, I never received soap or a second bathrobe, nor was the room ever properly cleaned. I somewhat expected to find flowers or fruit in my room with an apology note, but instead I was completely ignored.

On about my 5th call, when Norberto actually said "do you still want me to send you a robe?", I was incredulous, and requested that he comp breakfast for us, and he did. It may be ironic that both mornings, the service was horrendous: waiting 15 minutes for a table to be cleaned and set during peak hours when the restaurant was less than half full, waiting 25 minutes for coffee and tea to arrive, waiting more than 15 minutes for the bill. The woman managing breakfast was beyond frazzled. No one knew what to do first. the food was good, the service extremely poor. And it was not just us---we had other friends who stayed at hotel at our (sad) recommendation: both families also experienced less than satisfactory service, We also met two couples from Houston at the hotel there for the same conference, and they were appalled at the lack of service,

The list goes on and on. I asked for a New York Times while waiting for a table at the half empty restaurant and the woman manning the entrance did not know what I was talking about--I had to actually explain that it was a newspaper! Then, when we checked out, the bellhops could not locate our car key and we lost another 10-15 minutes. It may also be the only time in my life I checked out of a luxury hotel and no one offered us water for the car trip.

I also fail to comprehend how this property is part of the FHR of the Platinum Am Ex card; it is is below their standards.

I ask: what on earth is going on? The level of service was equivalent to a Bminus hotel. I think this is an embarrassment to the St Regis brand. Granted, the lobby is beautiful, but I sadly have nothing else positive to say about the hotel. I would never stay here again, I would never recommend this property, I feel like it distracted from my experience in DC rather than adding to it.

Room Tip: My tip is to book another hotel. Stay away!