“Very nice stay, had a nice time but expected a bit more from this brand.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

You added The St. Regis Washington, D.C. to your Saves list
The St. Regis Washington, D.C.
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   923 16th and K Streets, N.W., Washington DC, DC 20006 (Formerly Carlton Hotel) (Dupont Circle)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Book Early and Save
Ranked #20 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Dallas, Texas
“Very nice stay, had a nice time but expected a bit more from this brand.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

We moved to this hotel after a weekend conference at George Washington University where we stayed at another hotel. It was an easy walk to get to the St. Regis. Also there is a convenient metro station near the hotel so it was easy to get around town and back to the airport.

I had very good service when I phoned to make a change to our reservation, called the rooms manager who not only took care of dropping a day from my reservation, he also pre requested a nice room upgrade (I didn't ask for that, it was simply offered). We were on the top floor in room 824 which was a large corner room. The room was large with a comfortable seating area including a sofa. The bed was great. No view to speak of as our room looked across K street.

"Butler" service was fine (we didn't really need anything special). Rooms have no coffee makers but one was sent up upon my requesting it. However, I thought it was not really very upscale to only send up paper coffee cups.

They had my favorite type of hotel robes but no slippers?? Surprised at that since most luxury hotels provide slippers (note to self to always pack a pair). The marble lined bathroom was lovely, it only had a shower and I prefer a tub but the shower and sink area were large. The toilet was not private from the rest of the bathroom. Only one bar of soap in the bathroom so I didn't have any in the shower when I needed it, after the first day a second bar was supplied by the housekeeper during servicing the room.

Really large room but they didn't make good use of the space, much of it was just empty space where they could have put a useful piece of furniture. There were only a couple of small drawers for our clothes (and one of those was filled with cans of snack and candy bars that I had to remove in order to use the drawer for our belongings). Small fridge filled with drinks but it had just enough room for a couple of things that we needed to refrigerate. There is plenty of room to put another chest of drawers in this room. Closet was pretty tiny but this is an old historic hotel so some things probably can't be changed. Not enough outlets for all the devices that we tend to bring these days. I would think that lamps with built in outlets could be found to match the gold leaf decor of the room.

Room service dinner was excellent with quick delivery. Turn down service was good. Lobby is beautiful. We made it a point to go down for the nightly Champagne sabering. After reading so much about it, I was disappointed. We were seated at one end of the lobby but the staff member pouring the champagne only offered a few glasses to those seated in the center. I had to go to the front desk and ask for a glass for myself and my husband. They seemed put out that I made that request but someone did finally show up and offer us the Champagne.

The location is excellent, just a couple of blocks from the White House and a nice walk to the Smithsonian museums and the monuments. The doormen were much more friendly than the front desk staff, offering umbrellas during the one day that it looked like rain.

I might stay again since we are Starwood members but next trip we would probably try another historic hotel instead.

Room Tip: Ask for an in-room coffee maker and they will deliver one to your room. Get to the Champagne saberi...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
KSt20006, Manager at The St. Regis Washington, D.C., responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate your detailed comments as they assist us in improving on service. With this being a historic building, unfortunately during the remodel we were not able to include bathtubs in every room. We have several rooms with bathtubs which are available upon request. In addition, we also provide slippers upon request. I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you will consider the St. Regis in the future.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
Abu Dhabi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

The St Regis is a top chain. So top I shared the elevator with Tony Blair (he was texting and ignored me).

Rooms are modest by US standards but nicely furnished with comfy beds, good linen and solid wood furniture. Showers strong and towels good.

The Adour restaurant is over-hyped. A place to impress clients rather than experience a spot of comfort. The food is well done but of the over-fussy, over-sauced, drizzled, sprinkled variety. Flavours were muted but all done well in a rather pleased with itself way.

At the time of writing the bar was being refurbished and a temporary bar in the rather cold reception area (more rugs and wall hangings please).

Nonetheless an agreeable place in a working town. You will not be disappointed but you are unlikely to be thrilled as well.

At the time

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

We are pleased that our newly renovated bar and lobby are have reopened and are available for guest use. I hope that you will have the opportunity to experience this beautiful new space. I apologize that your experience in Adour fell short of your expectation but hope that you will consider returning so that we may welcome you back the next time you come to Washington.

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2013

Stayed at the St Regis in Washington DC for 2 nights in January and it was a great experience. The building is beautiful - gorgeous flowers in reception and all very tastefully decorated. We had a room on the first floor with an ok view. It was really quiet and very comfortable. Everything was spotless and the staff were really helpful (we had to change the book over the phone). The location is also a great advantage - 2 minutes walk from the White House with good transport links and places to eat close by. The very helpful concierge recommended an excellent restaurant 10 minutes walk away. I had an extremely comfortable weekend there and would definitely return. The price we got for the room was also excellent. The only slight comments I would make is that there are no coffee/tea making facilities in the room and the doors do not have door closers/hinges to stop them slamming - but both very minor and did not spoil my stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your stay with us. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future. Please keep in mind when you do return that coffee makers are available in the room upon request. We look forward to seeing you soon.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My 9 years old son and I went to DC for the first time, on an invitation. Upon Check-in, we were immediately upgraded to a suite. My son was jumping up with excitement. The service was simply impeccable from the checkin to reservation to the restaurant.

The front desk even wrote a handwritten note to welcome son & left cookies/milk in the room. All other details were attended to keen perfection.

We often stay at the St. Regis wherever possible, but my most memorable experience will be the one at DC. Your staff is off the hook awesome. Thank you for making our trip so great!

Room Tip: Close to the White House. Literally 3 minutes walk! Great restaurants around the hotel. My son and...
Dear Guest,

I am pleased that you and your son enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for submitting your praises of the hotel and service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Washington DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband booked a night for us at the St. Regis in Washington, D.C. for our anniversary. It is a beautiful hotel with lots of history. Everything was superb! We had a room on the 8th floor overlooking K street. The room was quite and comfortable. Will definitely go back again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We look forward to the next time you are in Washington D.C. Thank you for taking the time to post comments regarding your experience.

Jacksonville, FL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

I am writing this review based on the property's 4 diamond rating. It is not a 5 diamond property like many other St Regis and there is certainly a difference.

The building itself is beautiful and just two blocks from the white house. The lobby is small but stunning with fresh flowers and good seating. They were renovating the bar when we were there in December so they had moved the bar to the lobby. No problem.

The rooms are nice. We had a superior King and a deluxe double connecting rooms. Both rooms were spacious and clean and the beds comfortable. Rooms were facing the street so a nice view. There were no newspaper on our door in the morning but several different papers in the lobby that we grabbed. I am sure we could have requested paper on the door. There were robes in the rooms but no slippers. A quick phone call to guest service and slippers were delived to our room. The rooms had DvD players. We went to the concierge to get a dvd for the children. Unfortunately she only had a couple to chose from.

We traveled with 3 young children who wondered why there was no chocolate on the pillow? This St Regis doesnt really have any of the special touched you find other places.
There is a gym and a great restaurant on site. Starbucks is across the street and was a great breakfast option with kids before heading down to the mall.

Service here is fabulous. All requests were met and in a very timely matter. They will get you what you need.

We would stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments. We pride ourselves on our service though our historic location does not allow us the space to include certain requirements of five diamond properties such as a spa and multiple dining outlets. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to your return.

Clayton, Missouri, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Location is the only positive comment about this property. The hide a bed in the room was the most uncomfortable thing I have ever experienced. It took four requests before they brought a bed board. Another multiple reminders for our morning paper, which never made it during our six day stay. They never provided enough bath towels, even after several requests. Finally, the staff was less than friendly. We never felt as if they cared about us. Would not recommend this property. Last year we stayed at the Four Seasons in Georgetown. That is where we will return.

Dear Guest,

I sincerely apologize for your experience while staying as our guest. I would like to speak with you directly regarding your experience. Please contact me at your convenience at ammar.samad@stregis.com or 202-580-6784. Your feedback is appreciated as we are always striving to provide the best service to our guests.

Director of Rooms

Been to The St. Regis Washington, D.C.? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about The St. Regis Washington, D.C.

Location: United States > District of Columbia > Washington DC > Dupont Circle
#14 Luxury Hotel in Washington DC
#17 Business Hotel in Washington DC
#26 Romantic Hotel in Washington DC
#30 Family Hotel in Washington DC
Price Range (Based on Average Rates): $$$$
Hotel Class:5 star — The St. Regis Washington, D.C. 5*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Starwood, Travelocity, Priceline, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Despegar.com, Hotels.com and Jetsetter so you can book your The St. Regis Washington, D.C. reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
The St. Regis Washington, d.c. Hotel Washington Dc
St Regis Washington Dc
Washington Dc St Regis

If you own or manage The St. Regis Washington, D.C., register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.