“Delicious food but skip the gyro” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Greek Deli

Greek Deli
1120 19th St NW, Washington DC, DC 20036 (Dupont Circle)
(202) 296-2111
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Dupont Circle
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
“Delicious food but skip the gyro”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

If you go, you will be pleased by a wide variety of greek dishes and good quality ingredients. If you head there particularly for the gyro you will probably be disappointed---the gyro is completely overhyped and made with something more akin to a patty rather than shaved meat. Nevertheless, the bread, feta, olives, spanakopita, soup, etc are all delicious and reasonably priced for this expensive city. Also, it is a to-go place with tables and chairs out front so dont go expecting table service and if the weather is inclement you will have to find a place to eat.

• Visited May 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

Ellicott city, md
“Heavy”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Greek Deli is one of the local go-to place. Many people from my office swear by their soup and homemade bread. And there is the soup Nazi (the owner who stands in the cashier calling "Next". I have tried this place several times but always find the food very heavy. I tried their lentil soup and the chicken soup. Both were very thick and can filled you up. I also tried their meatloaf and meatball. Again, like a load of rocks in your stomach.

Their pricing is good and their food is homemade. This place is just not for me.

• Visited February 2013
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
State College, Pennsylvania
“Great Food, Friendly Owner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

A recent visit to Washington, DC brought me and my family to the Greek Deli - based on a strong recommendation by Trip Advisor. We wanted an easy lunch to take on a picnic to show our daughters the White House.

The line at the Greek Deli extended out the door, which is not uncommon, but it moved quickly. When we arrived at the front, the owner saw our daughters and gave us great advice about what to order for them. The one had the chicken souvlaki, the other meatloaf and orzo. Both dishes were a big hit with the girls. Plus, they threw in a couple of large, soft cookies for them for free. What a great welcome to the city. They have earned loyal customers.

My falafel sandwich was excellent, though the pita was a bit hard on the bottom. I think that was an anomaly, because my wife's falafel and daughter's souvlaki pitas were perfect. That aside, the food was excellent. I highly recommend the Greek Deli.

• Visited March 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
State College, Pennsylvania
“AWESOME takeout lunch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

Our family had lunch there today: fresh, healthy, great service, great food--made with love. Vegetarian options. I had an awesome falafel, my daughter loved her chicken souvlaki, and my other daughter scarfed up the meatloaf over orzo. All DELISH. We received great advice and special attention from the owner, who was a character, in the best sense of the word, and he gave our two kids free chocolate chip cookies! We would eat here again in a heartbeat. We took our food over to Lafayette Park and had a picnic lunch at a chess table in front of the White House! Fun!!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Very good lunch....good price”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

I have been there and love it. I love the gyro and the lemon soup. I valve also used the for a catering for 200 people. Kostas is wonderful and always greed you with a smile.

• Visited December 2012