“An experience definitely worth repeating” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum

Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum
6th and Independence Ave., SW, Washington DC, DC 20560 (National Mall)
202-633-1000
Ranked #11 of 479 things to do in Washington DC
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The most popular of the Smithsonian museums features the Wright Brothers' 1903 Flyer and Lindbergh's Spirit of St. Louis.
Georgetown, PA
15 attraction reviews
“An experience definitely worth repeating”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Visited the museum at Dulles Airport in early April 2013. It was a wonderful experience. Parking costs fifteen dollars but admission is free. There is an outstanding collection of aircraft from World War II through Iraq as well as an entire section dealing with commercial aviation. The fact that this facility houses the actual full sized aircraft is amazing. The highlight of our visit was being able to see the space shuttle Discovery. It was truly and awe inspiring experience. This facility is even more inspiring if one thinks about the history associated with the aircraft on display. It is relatively easy to get to by car because it is not in the heart of Washington, D.C. The entire family would enjoy this experience. Tours are given at various times of the day highlighting the aircraft on display and they take approximately an hour and a half.

Visited April 2013

Red Bank, New Jersey
15 attraction reviews
“Great museum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Our family visited the National Air and Space Museum last month, during a short trip to Washington DC. This was not the first time we had been there- we came back because we liked it so much on our previous visits.
Our 3-year-old daughter was bored, but our 6-year-old son and 8-year-old daughter really enjoyed themselves. So much to see and do! They have a special hall with hands-on activities for children and this was where we spent more than 50% of our time there. :) The kids got to sit in a real airplane and pretend they were flying it- one of the highlights! There are so many captivating exhibits for adult visitors too- you could easily spend hours here. We had limited time, so we couldn't do as much as we would have wanted to, but we know we will definitely be coming back.
The cafeteria where we had lunch only offered McDonalds and Boston Market and was quite overpriced, but considering the museum itself is free, I guess this was to be expected- they have to make some money somewhere.

Visited March 2013
Hong Kong, China
66 attraction reviews
“Great museum!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

My sisiter who lives close to the Dulles Airport took me to this museum today. We arrived about 4:00 pm. The typically $15 car parking fee was waived. The museum is free. My sister has been there about 10 times, so she sat down in a comfortable chair to people watch while I walked around the museum. I read many of the signs. I studied the aircraft. I would like to have been able to board the Concorde to see what the interior was like, but the aircraft are viewed from a distance. I was particularly interested in seeing it, the Enola Gay and the Space Shuttle, Discovery. There is a lot here to see. I am very impressed with the facility.

Visited April 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
“Must see-but crowded!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

Wonderful museum, something everyone should see! My kids (13, 8, & 2) all enjoyed it. It was very crowded & we had to wait in line about 30 minutes to get through security before entering. I was also pushing a stroller which was a bit difficult threw all the people, but I managed. Glad we went!

Visited March 2013
Perth, Australia
10 attraction reviews
“Simply Awesome”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013 via mobile

We loved this place. I am astounded by the number and calibre of pieces they have on display. My husband and I are science geeks and we had a ball here. I only wish I could score it 6 or 7!