“Beautiful art, insightful tour” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #97 of 485 things to do in Washington DC
Activities: Group tours/walking tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the Smithsonian Institution that concentrates on crafts and objects from the sub-Saharan region of Africa.
Accra, Ghana
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Beautiful art, insightful tour”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our docent Paula, was a wealth of information, having lived in Kenya and Senegal She was able to shed light on the pieces and create an experience for us that just wouldn't have been possible by just wandering through and admiring the huge collection that they have.

Having lived in Africa for 7 years, it was very special to experience to take a virtual tour of the continent through its art.

Visited January 2013

639 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 370 helpful votes
“Nothing To Write Home About”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

After having visited the Freer Gallery, my friend and I crossed over to the National Museum of African Art. Having visited Africa and having gone to a few art galleries, I have really unimpressed with the collection that this museum had. They have a few very nice pieces, but for the most part it was what you would expect, nothing jumps out at you. Very unimaginative and a great disappointment to my friend and I.

Visited June 2012
Middle River, Maryland
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Boring”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

I had to go to this museum for a class. I was kind of interested in going since had never been. I felt very uncomfortable being there seeing as I was apart of a minority in this building. It is not at all interactive and there are do not touch signs on everything. I was expecting a lot more .

Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Wonderful Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

Upon entering the museum we were greeted by wonderful docents, Paula and Linda! They provided an orientation to the museum. They showed us to a locker area where we could leave our coats and bags for free! Then we were taken on an incredible tour of the different exhibits. There is a really neat modern Moroccan photography exhibit, very provocative!

This museum visit is a must and I highly recommend it!

Visited December 2012
Libertyville, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Exquisite Art and Amazing Tour!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

We had a fabulous time visiting the African Art Museum. It is an amazing collection of art from all over Africa. We particularly enjoyed pieces we saw pieces from Morocco, Senegal, The Democratic Republic of Congo, and Ethiopia- a fabulous array of various art from all over the continent. The docents are amazing and have an in-depth knowledge of all of the pieces and exhibits; I highly recommend having one give you a tour. Linda and Paula are particularly wonderful docents!

Visited December 2012

Been to National Museum of African Art? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage National Museum of African Art, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.