“Convenient and comfortable” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Carriage House on Capitol Hill

Carriage House on Capitol Hill
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Washington DC
Carriage House on Capitol Hill
Save Saved
You added Carriage House on Capitol Hill to your Saves list
3rd Street at South Carolina Avenue Southeast, Washington DC, DC 20003 (Capitol Hill)   |
Ranked #27 of 49 Washington DC B&B and Inns
Farmington, Connecticut
“Convenient and comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2014

We spent two nights at the Carriage House and were satisfied with the level of comfort that was provided. We don't need to be coddled when we travel and we were fine with the independence that we found here.
Our bedroom was lovely and very quiet. The bed was firm and comfortable. Everything was very clean and housekeeping did a fine job each day. We were given access to a supply closet that had extra items in case we had forgotten something. I was happy to be able to use their hair dryer as I did not pack mine. I thought some of the touches were sweet, such as the spare reading glasses that were on the bookshelf in the upper hallway. I know I can't read a thing without my cheaters so I would have appreciated that had I lost or broken mine!
Breakfast was fine. There were three choices of cold cereal plus oatmeal packets. There was fresh fruit, bagels, bread, and pastries available. The guest fridge had OJ, milk, butter, yogurt, cream cheese, etc. Coffee was in the pot and was very good. We had plenty to get us started on our day. While a hot breakfast is nice sometimes, we were more than satisfied with what was provided.
Stairs to the entrance are steep and were somewhat challenging with our bags, but the photo on the website shows these clearly so we were not surprised. In our shower, it would have been nice to have a little table or shelf on which to put shampoo and soap. Our first night there we had no TV remote. Those are the only complaints we have.
This B&B is in a lovely neighborhood, close to a park, Eastern Market, 4 blocks from a subway stop and a $10 cab ride from Union Station. It's nice to be able to walk to a wealth of restaurants and entertainments. I feel comfortable recommending the Carriage House to any independent travelers.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

41 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

Out hosts were very attentive and kind. We were impressed with the accommodations and location to the main area of the city. We had a excellent visit to Washington and will absolutely book a future stay here. Lauren and Diane were wonderful. We felt at home! A+++

• Stayed December 2013
surrey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2013

Lauren Powell is a wonderful innkeeper and the Carriage House is an eclectic mix of the family's world travels and decorating skills. The location can't be beat - you can walk from the B&B to the Library of Congress, Capitol Hill, Smithsonian, even the Lincoln Memorial if you're feeling ambitious.

Should you arrive by Amtrak, find your way in Union Station to a customer service booth where, if you're a senior (62+), you can purchase a Senior SmarTrip metro card for great rates on the subway and buses. Once you've loaded a little money on the card, take the Blue Metro Line to the Capitol South metro stop. On exiting, it's a couple of blocks' walk to the B&B.

There are good pubs and restaurants nearby for lunch or dinner at the end of a working or sightseeing day. The breakfast offered at the Carriage House is adequate; however, it could be improved upon with some variety: the addition of cheeses, more yogurts, fruit salads, artisan breads. Having said that, whether you are on business or pleasure, this B&B is near perfect.

Room Tip: Suggest you bring your own reading light as the bedrooms have very low lighting.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Boise, Idaho
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

This B&B is like your own home...but way better. The house is amazing. I enjoyed the innkeepers - they were very friendly and helpful. My room was private and bed was soft and relaxing. They've gone to endless lengths on the decor and have the staples around (water, lite snacks, etc.). Some rooms have a cosy, shared porch. **I would stay here again in a heartbeat.** Expectations exceeded. 5 minutes (very safe at all hours) walk to good food up on 8th. Not very far at all from Library of Congress, Capitol Hill, etc. About 10 minutes walk from Eastern Market (another delight). Several blocks from the Subway - just bear in mind re: luggage.

Only note I'd make it around the stairs. Few but STEEP stairs and then stairs up to the rooms on the inside. If stairs are a problem - you'll definitely want pass.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Great experience overall! I arrived in the evening, and received a very warm welcome. I was shown around the house: my room, which was lovely, the kitchen where I could have breakfast, and was treated with a glass of wine. I didn't see the hostess after that, but the room was cleaned and towels were changed every day. It's an old house, so it's not that sparkly modern glass-and-concrete feel of a hotel. For me personally, it's a big advantage.

The building is a real character house! They also have a very nice balcony on the second floor, and a terrace on the main floor with soft couches to have dinner or just relax. Met the puppies twice during my 3-day stay - very friendly and funny. They never followed me to the stairs, but stayed on the main floor.

The location is wonderful! Can't beat that. Everything I needed was a walking distance from the Carriage house: Library of Congress, different museums, as well as various restaurants. Also, everyone said, it's the safest area of Washington.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Victoria, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

We booked this charming town home for a weeklong stay with our family of four. I can't say enough wonderful things about the Carriage House! First, the location was fabulous! Close to the Metro, great restaurants on 8th Street and Pennsylvania Avenue, across the street from a nice, neighborhood park, and nestled in a charming Capitol Hill neighborhood. With children, one of my main concerns was feeling safe during our comings and goings, and never once did we feel uncomfortable walking around the area, even when our wanderings brought us home very late one evening. The home was clean and fresh smelling, and features a comfortable decor and a kitchen well stocked if one chooses to do some cooking. The owners were there when we needed them, even providing us with extra umbrellas during a few rainy days, and left us alone the rest of the time. This home really offers travelers the best of all worlds... an affordable option to hotels, quaint and comfortable accommodations in a lovely neighborhood, and a location that was better than I could have imagined! I would recommend it to anyone planning a trip to D.C.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brookings, South Dakota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

My wife did her homework on the web and we selected this sight unseen. Wow! What a fantastic place! These folks have done a great job in preserving the 'atmosphere' and character of the historic home, plus adding a bit of their own touch. We loved the space foxes! This is a perfect location for visiting all the main activities of DC.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family

Been to Carriage House on Capitol Hill? Share your experiences!