“affordable and great tasting” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Nando's

Nando's
819 7th St NW, Ste 100, Washington DC, DC 20001-4497 (Downtown / Chinatown)
202-898-1225
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout, Late Night
Neighborhood: Downtown / Chinatown
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“affordable and great tasting”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2013

My friend and I were looking for a place to eat dinner other than the usual Chinese food in downtown DC. We're on our way to Hooter's and saw Nando's beside it. My friend said she has heard a few good compliments about Nando's and surely we want to prove it for ourselves.

The menu was affordable and the ambiance is great! The servers were friendly and quick. We had chicken (plainish and lemon lime), of course, Portuguese rice and mashed potato for the sides. The chicken was great! It was juicy! Plus, we tried their chocolate spoon cake and it was delish!

Highly recommended plus you can eat to your own fill because it is affordable!

• Visited December 2013

Cheyenne, Wyoming
“A Unique Flavor is a Pleasant Environment”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

The Portuguese flavor is unique in a fast food restaurant. This is a inexpensive restaurant where you order at the counter and get your own drink. The inside is bright and pleasant to sit in. The staff was pleasant and prompt. I enjoyed the chicken I was served.

• Visited December 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Havre de Grace, Maryland
“This is some seriously good chicken”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

I decided to eat here for lunch on a day where I did not have a lot of time and I was able to get my food quickly and at the same time not feel rushed. I made it out of there under my target time.

I'd never eaten at one of these before and the waiter explained that it was "self service." You go up to the counter and order, then get your silverware, hot sauce, drinks, etc. and go back to your table. They bring you your entrée. Service itself was quick, perfunctory, and friendly.

It says that it is a South African chain restaurant but then on the menu it says the food is Portuguese. I guess it is a mixture. They offer wine and beer and I ordered a nice Portuguese lager called Sagres. It was nice and light. My chicken dish consisted of dark meat - thigh and leg. It was grilled, had the nice grill char marks on the outside, and was moist and juicy on the inside. There are a few different choices for spice: hot, medium, mango lime, and a sort of lemon herb. I ordered medium and it was very tolerable, as a matter of fact it didn't seem too spicy to me, so most people should be fine unless they are very sensitive. I want to go back and try hot! And mango lime.

Also in the self-serve area are bottles of Nando's homemade sauces. I got some garlic sauce, it seemed to be tomato based, and was very tasty.

Along with the chicken I got an order of chips (fries) and they were ok, nothing special, just typical chips. I ordered a side of "Perinaise" which is like a spicy mayonnaise - I don't even like mayonnaise - but this was very tasty and I devoured the chips dipping them into the condiments.

I am looking forward to some more visits to taste the other items on the menu.

• Visited November 2013
Ilkley, United Kingdom
“Yum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

I love to eat at Nando's in England and to find one in the US is rare. I had to check it out to see if it was just as good. The items on the menu are slightly different but overall it still has the great customer service and Nando's taste to keep you satisfied. One other plus side is the endless flavours of soda on offer. I've since found these machines all around America but never seen one in Nando's before so it was a nice surprise. The machine allows you to choose any type of soda such as Sprite, Coca Cola or Fanta then add any flavouring such as vanilla, strawberry, grape etc. A good addition for the fussy drinker.

This Nando's is nicely decorated and well located nearby the bars and other restaurants.Try it if you've never had a Nando's before, the chicken is amazing and the flavouring one of a kind.

• Visited September 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Really tasty chicken for an upper scale fast food place!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2013

I love Nando's and everyone I've taken there from work or at play loves it, too. A South African chain that has gone global, Nando's has a number of outlets in the DC area and always draws a crowd. To save on costs, one orders and pays at the counter, and the food is brought to the table. You pick up your silverware and sauce and can even wash your hands at the neat looking sink. Refills for soft drinks are free. They also serve beer, wine and sangria. Now, the food. The chicken is really great as are the appetizers, sides and desserts. Everything is fresh and clean. There is South African art on the wall. The noise level can get a bit loud, but for DC, with its trendy new restaurants with high ceilings and no padding, it is bearable. Whether it is a lunch with work friends or a take out on the way home, the product has always been consistent and tasty. Honestly, i love the place. I just wish one were in my neighborhood!!!

• Visited September 2013