“FDR was my highlight” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #32 of 234 Attractions in Washington DC
Type: Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Hiking, Viewing foliage
More attraction details
Owner description: Springtime in Washington means the explosion of white-pink clouds of cherry blossoms around the Tidal Basin.
Waterford, Connecticut
36 attraction reviews
“FDR was my highlight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We walked from the Smithsonian Metro stop to the Tidal Basin to see the 3 monuments. We did not quite realize what a long walk it is especially in the 90 degree heat. Our efforts were rewarded by the impact of the FDR memorial. It is like a walk-through diorama history of his presidency. It is beautiful. The quotes inscribed on the walls are relevant to today. I wish I would have had the energy and time to walk through it more than once. I hope to return sometime.
When we completed our walk, we bought over-priced water bottles at the MLK gift shop and grabbed a cab at the taxi stand to take us to Foggy Bottom- a great choice considering how tired we were and that it only cost $10 which is not much more than Metro rides for the 3 of us would cost.

Visited June 2014

• Indonesian first
USA
143 attraction reviews
“Take some Gov't money and clean this place up.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2014

The potential is there - gorgeous marble buildings, water, trees. But it looks like no one does anything other than occasionally mow the lawn. The trees need trimmed, the sidewalk needs repaired, the garbage needs picked up. Oh and PUT IN SOME PARKING.

Visited May 2014
Miami Beach, Florida
53 attraction reviews
“Great walk with my dog!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2014

This was the best walk that I did with my Shiba Inu while in Washington. I didn't realize until we got back to our hotel just how long this "stroll" was - and my 9-year old girl was just taking it all in.

The Tidal Basin is one of the prettiest walks you can ever do especially during cherry blossoms time. I was amazed at how serene it was despite the presidential helicopters hovering above seemingly doing exercises. Leisurely walking on the water's edge past the boat house and the Jefferson Memorial (dogs aren't welcome) and all the way around to the FDR Memorial and MLK (another memorial that doesn't allow dogs) was nice and relaxing while taking in all the sights. I had no idea that there's a wonderful Eleanor Roosevelt Memorial either until we walked past it.

There are many benches in the shade to take breaks along the way. The Tidal Basin was truly a pleasant surprise on this last visit to Washington...and Foxxy and I will definitely be back.

Visited April 2014
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Two monuments In one easy stroll”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

First stop on this long-time resident's favorite things to do in Washington - a Sunday sunset stroll around the cherry tree-lined Tidal Basin. In a circular circuit, you'll pass the Jefferson Memorial (take a selfie on the steps or go inside for a quick visit). Continue walking along one of several paved pathways until you reach the Roosevelt memorial. There's so much or read and see in sections devoted to each of his terms, as well as a lovely granite waterfall (no wading, and no coin tossing). Make your way back and you will have walked a little over two miles. Parking is easy early evening on weekends. I It's a beautiful stroll, it's great exercise and it's free. Tip: far less congested, more serene and just as beautiful before or after the Cherry Blossom Festival madness.

Visited May 2014
Elgin, Illinois
19 attraction reviews
“Pretty”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We walked around the whole entire tidal basin on our visit in Sept/Oct. 2013. It is quite a long walk but it is very beautiful and peaceful!

Visited September 2013