“Not My Thing But Not Their Fault” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History
10th Street and Constitution Ave, Washington DC, DC 20560 (National Mall)
202 633-1000
Activities: Group tours/walking tour, Dining
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Established in 1910 and located on the National Mall, this prestigious museum, part of the Smithsonian Institution, holds the world's most extensive collection of natural history specimens and human artifacts including the remains of dinosaurs and tools used by early man.
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Not My Thing But Not Their Fault”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

I don't find Natural History very interesting, sorry, so in terms of the 'content' of the museum, you may want to look elsewhere. I can say, however, that I easily spent several hours here as their exhibits are so extensive it takes that long, even if you're not reading every plaque or listening to an audioguide.

I particularly enjoyed the exhibit on the early settlements in Virginia and the prize-winning nature photographs.

Visited August 2013

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Kids Loved It”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

My family loved this museum. It was the main thing we wanted to visit while in DC and we were not disappointed. It had a little bit of everything. I also love the fact that it was free admission. We spent 2 hours there and I don't think we saw everything. My kids really liked the exhibit about ancient sea life as well as the different animal bones. When we went, the museum was packed, so be prepared for major crowds - to the point where it was hard to push a stroller through sometimes. Expect to spend at least 2 hours exploring. Depending on how crowded it is, it might take a lot longer just to make it through the crowds. I also noticed that there weren't too many places to sit down while in the museum. Where they did have benches, there weren't a lot of them and they filled up very quickly. The museum shop, like others I've been to was overpriced, but I expected that. There were a decent amount of items under $10, though. Other than that, we had a great time. I would definitely recommend this museum, especially for kids.

Visited December 2013
Boston
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Great Museum. Great collection. Excellent exhibits on evolution and human brain. A collection of animals like no other with the possible exception of the Harvard Museum of Natural History, but in a much nicer building. Overall one of the World's best.

Visited November 2013
Duluth, Minnesota
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Good tour.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

Probably my favorite of the Smithsonians. Lots to see. The animals, fossils and gemstone exhibits were my favorite.

Visited November 2013
Binghamton, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Everything and More!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2013

One of the main stops on our trip, we loved visiting the museum. Such a great way to compare life size to the pictures and diagrams we grew up learning about. We went through each exhibit although the Saturday mid-morning crowd made some difficult to navigate.

Visited December 2013