“Good hotel, GREAT location, just tighten up the details!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel

You added Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park with Us for Just $10
Ranked #68 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Fort Lauderdale
“Good hotel, GREAT location, just tighten up the details!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

We stayed at the Liaison over the Labor Day weekend to attend the wedding of some good friends. The welcome cocktail party, wedding and reception were all held at the hotel.

Check-in:
We arrived at the hotel around 12:30 pm, well before the posted check-in time. We were in DC for a wedding, had many friends already checked in so were not worried about having a place to stow our luggage etc. The gentleman at the front desk was nice. He took my name, reservation number etc. and began the process. When room assignment time came, the front desk clerk said "Your reservation is for two double beds..." I stated that our reservation is for a room with a king bed - and pulled out my reservation confirmation page. I reassured him that if a king room was not ready at that time, no worries, had friends in the hotel, we'd be happy to ck our luggage with the bell staff…. He said ok, let me check and then a moment later had a king room ready for us.

Rates: A group rate was secured by the brides however I did some research out here on TripAdvisor and a fellow traveler said she had found a great rate on Washington.org. I scooted out to their website and yes, they offer very good rates for this hotel. We paid $129.95 +tax for the Bed & Breakfast Special – the hotel’s rate for the same special was $154.95 + tax per night. Breakfast is served in the Art & Soul restaurant – we ordered off the menu – all items up to $50.00 per day are credited. We only paid the taxes on the $$ amount of what we ate and of course gratuity.

The hotel is beautiful, comfortable, and as stated in previous reviews in a primo, primo location. Added bonus - it’s very very quiet! (We never ever heard any street noise or noise from neighbors and even though our room was the closest one to the elevator and ice machine we never heard either!) The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows. The room also had a large chaise type sofa, comfortable sitting chair with small glass table between the two and a full size desk and chair. (Standard flat screen TV too!) The closet is a little small. No room to store both luggage and shoes, if we had stayed longer than our two nights a bigger closet would have been necessary. All rooms come with in-room safe large enough for a 15” laptop and etc. Very convenient and much appreciated.

As stated in previous reviews the bathrooms are small, however very well appointed, with plenty of hot water, great bath gel, shampoo, conditioner etc. and very clean! We (my partner and I) were only there for two nights so a larger bathroom was not a necessity.

Touring: we walked (or took a short cab ride to our starting point) to all the big attractions etc. For us all the monuments, memorials the Smithsonian, Capitol Building etc were all within walking distance.

The restaurant:
I'll be direct we were very disappointed by the breakfast at Art & Soul restaurant. (This is celebrity chef Art Smith’s restaurant, Oprah’s former personal chef) Granted knowing this we had expectations. However, I was absolutely floored by the fact that grits are not served at breakfast. (When I spoke with the waiter he said no, they are served at dinner but not served at breakfast!) I've been to diners in NYC, (where an incredible breakfast is $5.99 for two eggs, bacon, toast and grits) well above the Mason/Dixon line and had fabulous grits. I was astonished that the owner and creator of this restaurant, a Mississippi native, does not serve grits for breakfast. With all due respect a complete travesty! In addition the biscuits were terrible. I honestly believe it was a frozen biscuit. Perfectly round with a pointed top, hard, it was terrible.

The wedding reception was wonderful. The party was fabulous, the room was the perfect size. Great dance floor! The table settings were lovely – our friends were thrilled. The appetizers were exceptional, my partner said she could have made a meal of the lamb chops and I had way too many of the Ahi Tuna on Fried Green Tomatoes. They were awesome. I will say however the wait service and bartending service was awful. Two wait staff to handle 42 people for a 4 course meal and do it properly was too few. The bartender and wait staff were assigned and had to handle so many other tasks that they could not attend to their main job adequately. I went to get a drink and our friend’s privately hired wedding coordinator was tending bar, pouring drinks, opening wine bottles. Evidently the bartender had to attend to something else so she tended bar for 20 minutes. Dinner service was slow (as stated above, not enough wait staff), the food mediocre - the sea bass and accompaniments are much better at Fulvios in downtown Hollywood, FL. My water glass was only refilled one time the whole evening (we were there 4+ hours). My partner asked no fewer than 5 times to have our table's water refreshed and it didn't happen. Again, the party was fabulous, we had a great time, but when dancing for 4+ hours a girl needs her water. The hotel is very comfortable, very very quiet, in the best location, it just needs a little tightening on the details!

Reservations staff: The three times I called in – they were not friendly. They're professional, but again borderline unfriendly. Obtaining information felt like I was pulling teeth. They're sales people which means when I call in their job is to book a room. Based on the attitude and unfriendliness I received I booked via Washington.org. The res. staff could not or would not get me what I wanted. (A king room in the wedding block of rooms.) I did some research, went elsewhere received a better rate and breakfast!

Double check on the restaurant hours. We were told by a woman at the front desk that breakfast in Art & Soul began at 6:30 am on Saturday's. My partner and a woman we were traveling with arrived downstairs at 6:30 Saturday morning and breakfast begins on Saturday at 7 or 7:30. They headed down the street and picked up breakfast and coffee at Starbucks.

Overall a great stay, we would stay at The Liaison again based on location and the ability to get a great rate on a holiday weekend. As stated previously this would be a great hotel if they tightened up on the details!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
LiaisonCapitolHill, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2010
Dear Jules0413,

Thank you for all the detailed comments and feedback on your recent stay with us. The team and I take all the comments we receive and go over them one by one. We study each area and look into what we need to work on and how to improve the guest experience. I have forwarded all the information you presented to each of the departments represented.I also spoke to the Restaurant team and they are addressing all of your service and food feedback. Please know that we are looking into constantly improving and moving forward. I am glad that you thought the hotel was beautiful. Thank you. It's good to hear you enjoyed the comfortable bed, pillows, and quiet atmosphere. I am glad that you had a fun time at the wedding. Please send your friend's my best wishes.

We hope that you can come back and visit us again. If there is anything I can do for you in the future please let me know.

Dani Elhachem, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Hebrew first
Long Island,NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2010

This is my second stay at the Liaison Capitol Hill (stayed here in April 2008.) We stayed for two nights and had one room.

The room: the beds are very comfy, and so are the pillows. 6 choice pillow menu a nice touch. Rooms are average size, with a desk and chair, also another comfy chair in the corner. Flatscreen tv in room, along with safe and coffee maker. Bathroom was nice and clean and so was shower.

Lobby: Very trendy. Nice seating area with a bar. We did not eat in the restaurant attatched to the hotel.

Pool: cool rooftop pool open until early October. We went around 8:30 at night, and the pool has lights in it that change it's actually pretty cool it makes the water looks different colors. A lot of furniture out on the pool area so you can sit. (Very cool furniture by the way.)

Service: Great as always. Staff here is great. Location of hotel cannot be beat!

Downside is now free WiFi in rooms. However there is free WiFi in lobby.

Valet Parking about $45 or so a night I believe.

Other: breakfast buffet at the Hyatt across the street is good. $20 per person.
Try the DC Ducks tour. It is so cool!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Dear NYMX5793,

Thank you for visiting us again! It was a pleasure having you come back. We are glad to hear that your room was comfortable, clean and that you enjoyed the pillows, comfy furniture and coffeemaker. The roof top pool is a place we designed with you in mind; a place our guests could sit and sip on their beverage of choice as they enjoy the relaxing atmosphere. I am glad you were able to enjoy it. Guest service is our number one priority and our team is very aware and fully committed to providing excellent service. We also thank you for your suggestions and comments.

We would love to keep having you come back. If there is anything I can do for you on your next visit, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Boston, MA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2010

I just got back from 2 nights at the Liaison, which I booked last minute and chose for the Capitol Hill location. I usually stay in Foggy Bottom, and had not done too much research. I quickly chose the hotel based on website photos, a quick look at TA reviews, and price. When I got there, I was a bit disappointed to realize that the Liaison is the old Holiday Inn.... no question they've done a nice job refurbishing and decorating it, but it still does have Holiday Inn bones (small bathrooms, windows that don't open).

A courteous man checked me in quickly. However, when I went to my room on the second floor, I didn't care for it. There was a humid sort of unpleasant quality to the air, and I could hear every word of a loud conversation b/w two women yacking nonstop in the next room. I went back to the front desk, where the man who'd checked me in was assisting other people. He turned from them to ask if I had a problem. When I told him, he was outwardly still courteous but obviously annoyed. While I waited for him, a different man came out who was very friendly, professional, and helpful. I told him that I'd specifically requested a quiet room on my reservation form, and asked if he could put me at the end of a hall or something. He was great, and my new room, far down a hallway in a corner, was quiet and extremely pleasant. The bed was very comfortable, the room very clean. I appreciated the "pillow" menu, and the opportunity to try a Tempurpedic pillow, which I loved--plan to buy one now.

Some details: the king size bed was extremely comfortable, with high quality bedding. There was no refrigerator in the room. No bathrobe, but the towels were thick and plentiful. There was a safe, an iron, and a coffeemaker.

Housekeeping certainly seemed to clean the room well enough while I was resident, but they neglected to replenish the cream for the coffee, and the bed looked hurriedly made, the towels hung askew. A bit annoying, as I always leave a $5 tip each day for housekeeping. Still, the staff I saw in the hallways were really friendly people--hopefully a fluke.

I did eat at the bar one night. The food was very good, as was the service.

I would stay here again because of the location, and because it was good value, considering the rate I received.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled solo
Dear Epilogue,

Thank you for all the feedback on your stay with us. We appreciate guest comments because we are able to take note of all their experiences. We have been and will continue working very hard in the improvement of our hotel at all levels both service, operations and structural renovations. As you can understand there is always room for change. Our goal is to move forward everyday towards offering our guests an overall great stay and experience. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the comfortable bed and bedding especially the Tempurpedic pillow (glad your thinking of getting one on for yourself!). It is also great to hear you visited Art & Soul Restaurant.

We would love to have you come and visit us again. If there is anything I can do for you in the future, please do not hesitate to let me know.

Dani Elhachem, General Manager of The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel
Bath, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2010

I was a little disappointed with the upkeep of the hotel. There was some pretty extensive water damage around the window. However, it was quiet even with a fire station right next door, was near the Metro, and the bed was nice. The cleaning ladies were hit and miss with whether they left a lot of towels or the bare minimum and they never replenished our coffee for the in room coffee maker even when I left a note asking them to. We had to speak with a supervisor of some sort to get the package price we had booked, but we did get it. One of the reasons we stayed there was for the rooftop pool bar. However, it closed at 9pm. We had hoped to sit there in the evenings. The bar downstairs was freezing and too trendy for us. I think if we go back, I would try another hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Ardeasnest,

We really appreciate all your comments and feedback on your recent stay. Let me first apologize for all the inconsistencies in our room service to you. I have spoken to housekeeping about these issues and find it to be unacceptable. As a hotel we are moving forward to constantly bring our guest quality service and I am sorry you didn't experience that. Our goal is to constantly improve all areas of the hotel both on the physical and operations side. I am at least glad to hear that you were able to enjoy the proximity to the Metro and a quiet room with a nice bed.

We would love to have you visit us again. If there is anything I can do for you, please contact me directly.

Dani Elhachem, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel
Jena, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2010

I spent a great weekend at the Liaison in April with my girlfriend. The hotel is in a fantastic location in DC, with views of Capital and easy Metro access. The room was modern, clean and extremely comfortable.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
Dear Dtd1,

It is great to hear that you had an excellent stay with us. We are delighted when guests can come to our hotel and experience a clean and comfortable room where they can relax. The Capitol Hill area is such a powerful part of Washington DC and we are glad to hear you found our hotel to offer you not only a a great view but also easy access to the metro.

Thank you once again for visiting us. We would love to have you and your girlfriend back! I know your in Germany but always know that you have a place here at the Liaison Hotel in your future visits.

All the best,

Dani Elhachem, General Manager of The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2010

Fantastic hotel, great location, unpretentious in every way.
Chelsey served some fantastic Mojitos from the roof top pool, which in itself was a fantastic addition...
If you’re lucky, like we were, you may witness models being auditioned for a catwalk show.....
When I return to DC, I know with confidence, that I will be returning to the Liaison

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
DearMShiel,

Thank you for your comments about your recent stay. I am very happy to hear that you enjoyed our roof top pool experience and the bar service. It is always great to hear when guest can relax and take advantage of our hotel's location in the Washington DC area. We are always looking forward to improving our guest experience so thank you for all the feedback.

If there is anything I can do for you in the future please do not hesitate to let me know. We hope you come and visit us again.

Cleveland, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2010

I recently decided to take my family to DC for the long Labor Day weekend. Funds were very tight because of a chronically ill younger child (including brain surgery). I wrote several hotels explaining my situations and the Liaison was the only to reply. They were so kind and offered to comp our room and parking fees. This made it entirely possible for us to take this trip. The hotel is in a great location and is very modern. The valet staff was great. We couldn't have asked for a better pool. How cool to have it on the roof with great couch like places to sit. Awesome experience. This is what customer service is all about.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
LiaisonCapitolHill, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, September 8, 2010
Dear HappyDad1970,

It is great to hear that you and your family had an awesome stay with us. The roof top pool is a place that was creatively developed with our guest's comfort and relaxation in mind. I am glad that you found our team and location helpful. We know that sometimes getting away for a little while can make such a difference int he everyday tasks. I hope that you were able to gain new strength from your visit.

I wish you and your family especially your young child the best of luck and wishes. You are in our thoughts. If there is anything we can do for you in the future, please let us know.

Best Regards

Dani Elhachem, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia hote

Been to Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!