“Good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel

You added Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Winter Wonderland
Ranked #70 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
London
“Good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 4 nights and enjoyed the hotel, especially being able to lounge by the swimming pool at the end of a hard day's sight seeing. The central location makes all the main attraction around the National Mall very accessible. The staff are very welcoming and were very helpful when we needed a room change.
Top tip# 1: try the Art and Soul restaurant next door. Very deserving of its good reputation.
Top tip #2: avoid floor 10 - it was the smoking floor before the hotel became non-smoking but the smell still lingers in the air con and can't be masked by the air freshener.

Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Roger A, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, August 26, 2014
Dear Eddy2Names,

I am so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay. I couldn’t agree with you more that we do have a “good location.” I’m glad you were able to take advantage of our proximity to Union Station and the National Mall to get out and see all of the sights DC has to offer and cool off after a long day at our Rooftop Pool and bar.

Once again, thank you for your review. I look forward to sharing all of your feedback with my team here especially about the service you received and how great you found Art & Soul. I hope you were able to enjoy the fried chicken!

We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Roger Aberth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (315)
  • Hebrew first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2014

I stayed in this hotel for one night with my boyfriend. We got a deal on secret escapes and the rate was very low. Keeping that in mind, I was happy with the hotel. The service was friendly and efficient. I liked the fact that they texted when our room was ready.

However, there were a few things that weren’t quite right… The biggest downside for us was the fact that our room was located directly under the gym and we were promptly awakened at 6 am when a hotel quest decided to go for a run on a treadmill. Not good at all! Another mildly annoying thing for me was that there was no complimentary water on offer – only pricy bottles of Fiji water for purchase.

If you get a good deal, go for it but make sure you request a quiet room.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Marjuliini,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. I am so pleased to hear that you received such wonderful service from our team and I will be sure to share your feedback with them about how friendly and efficient your interactions were. It’s wonderful that you were able to take advantage of our check in program with the option to receive a text once your room is available. We are continuously working on making sure our guests arrival experience is a comfortable one, and I am so glad to hear that you appreciated that touch.

We would love to have the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in DC. I am sorry to hear that your room presented noise issues, but, if you do decide to stay with us again, please feel free to reach out to my office directly and I will personally ensure you are given a quiet room.

Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

This was a good hotel but in a bad neighbourhood. I only saw one other review that mentioned the neighbourhood, so didn't really pay attention to it. If you are cabbing it at night or travelling as a couple/group it may not matter but as a single woman travelling alone it was both disgusting in places and not really safe.

First of all you should know I have been travelling on my own and staying in motels/hotels and back in the day hostels for almost 40 years now and I have been all over the world since travelling for pleasure is one of my favourite things to do. These days I am lucky to get away between 3-5 times a year. And while I like a nice place to stay, I am not overly picky - except about cleanliness. Second I live in a Canadian city that has a fair bit of homelessness in the downtown area so that in itself was not what out me off. And finally, I am no shirking violet - I am careful, always mindful of my sense of what isn't right when I walk around but otherwise I am pretty adventurous. I head to NYC once every year! Toronto regularly and I stay out late without issue.

The Hotel: Chic, well appointed, good restaurant with good food and decent prices considering it was attached to a large city hotel and had a well known chef associated with the menu. My executive king room was on the 9th floor facing the street and I had no issue with street noise although noise from the hallway occasionally carried. Wifi was good in lobby but too expensive wifi in the room. The bed, bedding and pillows were fantastic and the lounger was a great spot to relax after a tiring day walking for hours. Service was good.

The Neighbourhood: The street in front of the hotel and the entire walk south to the Capital building was fine. but while you may start out your am going in that direction I rarely came back to the hotel from the same direction - usually by the end of the day I was either walking from the direction of the Restaurant area near the metro. So I would take it to shorten the walk. On the Sunday I walked this way (during the day) from Judiciary Square stop..... Gross and scary is the best description for the area between that metro stop and the hotel. Human excrement in piles (yes piles) on the side of the side walk, a suffocating urine smell (regardless of which side of the road) and groups of homeless people and vagrants every 1/2 block or so .... Sometimes 1-3 persons clustered together and in a few spots 10+. There's a really large rehab facility (street level) about 1-2 blocks west of the hotel. Lots of groups hanging around the facility and within a few blocks of it. After about 3 trips I started going a stop further to Union Station in order to avoid this route, which was better, but it still had issues.

Union Station was much better, especially during the day, but it's the main train station - so lots of homeless folks hanging out there too, although they seemed to be a little less aggressive, possibly because of the heavy presence of security and during the day metro/rail passengers. But the walk to the hotel was still a little rough - on at least one occasion I had to skirt around what appeared to a street drug bust. Hmm.

Needless to say, I ended up either bringing dinner back to my room or eating out and coming back by cab and wishing I had stayed in another area of the City (last trip I stayed In DuPont Circle area and loved it). Sorry - not the hotel at all, it would have been fine in another area.

Room Tip: 9th floor even on street side was above street noise.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled solo
Roger A, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, August 22, 2014
Dear karkel12,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. While it sounds like you truly enjoyed your stay at our hotel, I am very sorry to hear that you were uncomfortable in our neighborhood. Ensuring that our guests enjoy a comfortable experience is very important to us, and guest safety is a top priority. Our team is very familiar with our neighborhood and are always more than willing to assist in any way to ensure that guests have a wonderful experience.

I would love to have the opportunity to speak with you more in depth about your time with us. If you would be so kind as to contact my office directly at your earliest convenience, it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Bellmawr, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

Just got back from my second quick trip and stay in the Liaison on NJ Avenue in Washington DC. Literally right down the street from the US Capital this great little boutique hotel is a clean, friendly place to stay. My 12 year old son and his friend loved the roof top pool after spending the day visiting all the monuments. I got a terrific price on Hotwire for the stay and cannot wait to go again. BTW the staff was awesome... the kids and I were made to feel welcome and appreciated by everyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a corner room upper floors.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear snave669,

I am so pleased that we had an opportunity to welcome you back to The Liaison Capitol Hill! Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. It sounds like you and your family truly enjoyed a wonderful stay, especially with regards to our Rooftop Pool. It is a wonderful way to relax after a hot day in the city and I’m happy that your son and his friend enjoyed it so much.

We can’t wait to host you again the next time you are in the area. I will be sure to share all of your feedback with my team here, especially about the service you received from our team. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2014

We stayed there in early August because we were attending a conference. We were a little concerned when we saw that there was construction on the hotel entrance, but that turned out to be a non-issue. While outside one could hear the construction, we could not hear it at all in our room or on the rooftop deck/pool. The hotel staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was clean and updated and a decent size. The free wifi was a nice surprise. We went to the rooftop deck and pool and LOVED it. Bed lounges, lots of places to sit and relax. The location was also great, we were able to walk to the convention center (although that was about a 20 minute walk), the Newseum, Chinatown, and many of the government buildings. When we go to DC again, we intend to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled on business
Dear Christine S,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay during your business trip. I couldn’t agree with you more that our location truly is a special one and it is good to know that our proximity to Union Station, the convention center, and Chinatown made it easy for you to get around the city.

Once again, thank you for all of your feedback. I will be sure to share your review with my team here, especially with regards to how friendly and welcoming our team was. Service is our number one priority and I am pleased to hear that you had such consistent and pleasant encounters with the team.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

We booked the hotel through Hotel Tonight for an anniversary experience. We got a good deal, but we knew (because we'd checked TripAdvisor) that the hotel was under construction, so we'd have to enter through the attached restaurant. We thought that was acceptable, so we went ahead and booked.

What we didn't know was that the Liaison would not only close their main entrance, but would then book out the hotel restaurant on a weekend night, so that guests would have to enter and exit through the garage. (The bouncers informing us of the detour were by no means polite about it, making us feel very much like second-class citizens in the hotel.) Heaven help anyone who needed to use a wheelchair--their jury-rigged entrance and exit lacked a wheelchair ramp, because they'd blocked off the garage entrance closest to the hotel. Setting aside ADA compliance, pity the poor women navigating this train-wreck of an egress in high heels.

In the end, the rooms aren't awful, but they're nothing special, and for the price (even discounted) you can get better at other hotels in the city. It's the little things: most hotels in this price point in D.C. will have robes for their guests, a complimentary bottle of water,* and a much more generous number of towels. The Liaison's service is nowhere near as nice or attentive as the Fairfax, and the rooms at Kimpton hotels are somewhat more stylish. The pool deck--a major draw, and quite stylishly done--is tiny for a property of this size and was exceptionally crowded. There is no dedicated elevator for the pool deck, which means the elevators are frequently damp.

Given how they treat their guests (at least those not there for an "event"), there's really no reason to take a gamble on this property.

*Four dollars for a small bottle of Fiji is ridiculous, even for a D.C. business hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Roger A, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Dear MerryDevil,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience about your stay with us. I truly appreciate having the opportunity to hear from guests through Trip Advisor. Feedback like your helps my team continuously improve on the service we offer.

I want to apologize for some of the issues you experienced during your time with us, especially with regards to entering and exiting the property during our restaurant buyout. The arrival experience of our guests is very important to us and I am very sorry that this was not the case for you.

We would love to have the opportunity to host you again once our front entrance project is complete. If there is anything that I can do for you, please feel free to reach out to my office
directly.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2014

I'm really happy with this hotel for a number of reasons
1 excellent beds
2. clean
3. free wi-fi
4. friendly staff
5. good air conditioning
6. plenty of ice
7. nice rooftop swimming pool

I don't recommend the restaurant. Some of the food was really terrible

Room Tip: We had a third floor room on the street side and it was fine, actually relatively quiet for a city.
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Dear Martina C,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful time staying with us, and, I am very happy to hear that you were a “happy traveler.”

I truly appreciate all of your feedback and will be sure to share is with my team; especially with regards to the service you received. Service is our number one priority and it’s very good to know that all of your encounters were such positive one.

We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in the area. I see that you enjoyed our beds. Next time you visit, please be sure to check out our complimentary pillow menu that I’m sure you and your family will enjoy. If there is anything that I can do for you, please let me know.

Roger Aberth

Been to Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!