“Sorry to say but for me the Liaison was just OK” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel

You added Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Offers & Announcements
A Winter Wonderland
Ranked #70 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
Auckland, New Zealand
“Sorry to say but for me the Liaison was just OK”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

I came to Washington for a conference at the Convention Centre. I stayed for 7 nights. I booked on Expedia and had a good deal by Washington standards (although still expensive).

The hotel is just OK. I like hotels with personality. The Liaison has some nice artworks and some friendly staff but otherwise, that's it. The rooms are boringly corporate with the same standard layout of every corporate style hotel the world over (especially in the US I find).

OK, the good things. The staff is nice, the bed is comfy and I like it that the manager replies to Trip Advisor reviews.

So, first up. Check-in was fine. The lady was very friendly (Maria). She said she'd give me a nice room as I was staying so long and had come a long way. She also gave me free internet for the same reasons. This was much appreciated although it outrages me that in this day and age, any half decent hotel would even think to charge, particularly one which sets itself in the business market.

The room was nice although I do have to wonder what the "not quite so nice" rooms are like. Maybe the difference is the size? Or maybe it was because mine was at the front? There was a strange smell which never went away so I was left to conclude it must have been some sort of cleaning product. The bed was comfy although extremely high so anyone with a hip replacement best beware. The room was missing some amenities and in particular a fridge. Again, I find this odd. I know that in the US, that disgusting entity known as "non dairy creamer" is acceptable and the norm but I really do prefer milk in my coffee. Hence, the coffee machine was never used as even had I bought my own milk, there was no fridge in which to keep it. There was also a dearth of information - the info supplied was very brief. Sleep quality was disturbed from early morning onwards by the man at the front of the hotel blowing his whistle for the taxi. OK, I know that city centres are busy places and there is always noise but this seemed excessive. It also was highly inefficient as the one time I asked him to locate a taxi for me, he was so ineffective that I ended up doing it myself.

Next up, the bathroom. What more can I say. If you do have to have such a small bathroom then maybe a shower without the bath would be a better choice? Who takes a bath in a hotel anyway? And in this environmentally aware era, a shower is better anyway. Having said that, the towels and toiletries were nice although I failed to understand why there were larger refillable shower condiments and smaller ones especially for people to steal and take home with them.

Then there was the wardrobe. I am not a large person but I was attending a conference and had my business and my casual gear. The wardrobe was teeny tiny and had there been 2 of us in the room, we'd never have fitted it all in. Then the safe is low in the wardrobe, preventing you from storing your shoes or your suitcase in there.

Moving on, I came home from the conference mid afternoon one day, only to find the cleaning lady servicing my room. To my horror, she had the door wide open and seemed completely unaware that anyone had entered the room. I dread to think how many would-be burglars could have walked by. Without meaning to sound histrionic, the door to the top floor gym was opposite and there was almost a thoroughfare of people through there during the 15 minutes I waited in the corridor for my room to be ready.

Lastly, the neighbourhood. It is very nice to have the Capitol at the end of the street and the proximity to Union Station was good. However, it is dodgy. I don't care what the "half empty, half full" person says below, but it does not feel safe, especially after night and doubly especially for a woman on her own. I had no idea the area would be like this when I booked. I walked to and fro the conference. I had the good fortune to pass many other hotels on the way in the downtown. The W is particularly wonderful and I SO wish I had chosen to stay there. So, would I come back. An emphatic no. Mainly because I would prefer to stay in a different neighbourhood.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Roger A, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, November 11, 2013
Dear nesbitevans,

Thank you for providing such detailed feedback about your recent stay with us while in Washington DC. I truly enjoy having the opportunity to speak to guest through this forum and find out what they liked as well as did not like during their time with us. Such feedback helps my team and I really gauge the needs of our guest since we are continuously implementing new systems to close the gaps where we have fallen short.

I am very sorry to hear about some of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay and would like to personally follow up with you to discuss the issues you disclosed through your review. If you would be so kind as to call my office directly, it would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to speaking with you soon.

Roger Aberth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
  • Hebrew first
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Great location close to Capitol, Mall, and National Gallery of Art. Recent renovations with comfortable bed, boutique hotel amenities, and quiet for the location. Friendly staff including concierge services.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Peter V,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. I couldn’t agree with you more that our location truly is an excellent one and there are so many sights to see right here in our own neighborhood.

It’s wonderful to know that our team was very friendly during your interactions with them. I will be sure to share all of your feedback with my team here, especially our concierge staff.

We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in the area, if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Stayed from Oct 28-Nov 1 in room 826. Two nice and comfortable queen beds. The staff and check in was a breeze. I wish they had a fridge in the room.

There is a lot of street noise and to my amazement there was two
Pairs of ear plugs in the night stand. The resturant downstairs was the main culprit of the noise and the fire station a block away. Also, there was no TV guide of what local channels are. I figured it out on my own. I would def stay there again. Thanks for a great stay

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear djlametzger,

Thank you for all of your feedback regarding your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. It sounds like you were able to enjoy a comfortable stay with us during your recent business trip and I am very pleased to know that you considered it such a great stay.

Pune
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

Good location. Good service, efficient and friendly. Well appointed rooms. The whole hotel feels clean and well maintained. The Art and Soul restaurant is well worth a visit. The breakfast is really great. Don't miss the homemade biscuits. Simply fantastic. It is also great for dinner in their outdoor pavement location. Excellent wine list and the menu goes from the diet conscious to the absolute rich.

Room Tip: high floor and located in the front left hand side(the side away from the Fire station)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear DGPNQ,

Thank you for such a fantastic review regarding your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. I’m so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your time with us. I will be sure to share all of your feedback with my team here, especially our Art & Soul staff who will be just as thrilled as I am to hear how much you enjoyed the restaurant.

We look forward to having the opportunity to host you again the next time you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Hotel Liaison for 3 nights in November 2013. Rooms were extremely comfortable, loved the decor, very nice bathroom. We had dinner at the restaurant downstairs and were impressed with the service and food quality, although a little on the pricey side. Concierge was very helpful when asked about bus tours etc, overall very impressed. Only bad thing was the cost of wifi. $13 a day is a bit excessive, although you do get free wifi in the Lobby.

• Stayed November 2013
Dear Rob0203,

Thank you for your review about your recent stay with us. I’m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay, as well as, our property so much. Sounds like you had a comfortable one. I will be sure to share all of your feedback with my team here, especially about the service you received.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

We Amtraked it to Washington DC arriving at Union Station.

The hotel is just a block away from Union Station.

We had two rooms on the 8th floor. The Liason is modern, the rooms are well furnished and well maintained. The staff were excellent. Our room had the largest bed in it that I ever slept in.

Our kids couldn't stop commenting about the size of their beds.

From the Liason, walk up 'E' street to 7th street and there is the Restaurant strip, Chinatown, Madame Tussead's, the Crime & Punishment and Spy Museums. It's an easy 15 minute stroll. Capitol Hill is a short stroll. We walked from the Liason down to the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum and down as far as Lenfant Plaza, the Washington Monument and to the White House.

The 'Hop on Hop off' bus stops out the front and originates at Union Station. There is a large food court in Union Station as well as all the food trucks parked up just opposite the Post Office beside the station at lunchtime.

The Corner Bakery Cafe is just around the corner.

The Circulator Bus and subway trains stop at Union Station too.

There are several Soup Kitchens near the Liason. The homeless and unfortunate tended to congregate outside these places waiting for their meals. We had no issues walking by. We are a party of four and well travelled. These people were just waiting for a meal......no different to us walking up to the restaurant strip to have our meal.

There is a Fire Station right next door to The Liason. I've noted where both the Fire Station and Soup Kitchens have been noted in other posts.

How you treat the Fire Station next door depends on if you are a "glass half empty" or "glass half full" person.

You will hear the fire trucks when they depart.

Otherwise we heard minimal road noise. If you are a glass half empty type then the fire truck siren may annoy you. If you are a glass half full person then if the Hotel catches fire you can relax knowing that the fire department is right next door!

It's your call.

There was no fridge in our room but ice buckets were and ice machines were on each floor.

We found The Liason to be fine. We will recommend it and use it again. There is free Wi Fi available in the lobby.

I do have to mention one issue. A plate of complimentary cakes was discovered placed in our room a few nights prior to our checking out. The letter attached to the cakes was addressed to a person we didn't know. Complimentary bottled water was also included with the cakes.

We immediately rang the front desk to tell them that a mistake had been made and that a plate of cakes had been left in our room in error. The front desk transferred our call and eventually the cakes were removed by hotel staff.

Not 10 minutes later hotel staff knocked on our door and had a second attempt at placing the plate of cakes back in our room.

Again the cakes were addressed to a person we didn't know.

I refused to accept them and told the hotel staff member that the cakes were not meant for us, and that I'd told this to the front desk and told him to go away.

When we checked out there was a bill for these cakes included in our account. The amount was removed and the hotel recognised the error and rewarded us for being honest. That's fine but really the whole matter was unprofessional on behalf of hotel staff and it's been on my mind.

It tarnished what was really an enjoyable stay there. It's the second attempt by hotel staff to leave the cakes in our room and then having the cheek to bill us that's been on my mind.

As mentioned The Liason is only a block from Union Station. It's an easy 5 minute walk. Here are some directions:-

Out the front of Union Station there are fountains that resemble large bowls. There is one fountain at either end of the station terminal building. Walk out of the terminal building and over towards the right fountain.

The roads are a little confusing at the front of the station terminal because it's a circular drive. With the right side fountain in front of you can you see the street sign for vehicles exiting Union station that has an arrow directing them out of the station to Massachusetts Ave? It's slightly diagonally over to the right.

Once you've spotted that street sign look another street over and you'll see two white flag poles.

Now........ look over beyond the flag poles and you'll see an awning on the corner of the building a ways over. The awning looks exactly like a set of piano keys.

So......line them up. Massachusetts street sign. Two white flag poles. Piano key awning over in the distance.

That piano key look alike awning is The Corner Bakery Cafe. You should be able to spot the Bakery awning from the front of Union Station. Walk over to the Bakery.

On the other side of the corner opposite The Corner Bakery is The Wells Fargo Building. That's "E" street running between the two buildings.

Walk down between The Corner Bakery Cafe &The Wells Fargo building along "E" street. You'll pass The George Hotel.

Walk down and at the end of that block you'll see a Liquor Store. That's New Jersey Avenue.

Turn left at the Liquor Store. Beside it is the Fire Station and beside that is The Liason.

It really is a 5 minute walk from the Station even with luggage. The Liason is opposite the Hyatt so if you can spot the Hyatt earlier you know you're there.

Room Tip: Our rooms were adjoining on the 8th floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Dear Brian P,

Wow! Thank you for such a detailed and informative review about your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill; after staying a week with us, you not only the property inside and out but also our area. I’m sure many reviewers will appreciate the directions you provided to many places right here in our neighborhood including Union Station, Corner Bakery Café, and the stops for both the Circulator bus and the Hop On Hop Off bus tours. I’m sure you found that all of these locations are easily accessible and within walking distance for our guests.

Overall, it sounds like you and your family truly enjoyed your time with us and had a very comfortable stay. I am sorry to hear about the issues that arose with your receiving an amenity incorrectly. However, it’s good to know that our team did correct the matter and had the charge removed from the bill. Thank you for your feedback regarding this matter. I will be sure to share it with my team here to ensure that instances such as this do not happen again.

We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in our nation’s capital. If there is anything that I can do for you, please let me know.

Cherry Hill, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2013

I do not typically write hotel reviews however, I do want to bring notice of my Big Surprise of satisfaction I received while staying at The Liaison Capital Hill.

Hotel design was very interesting, bed linen was superior, impressive fresh smell and clean hotel.

I did not know what to expect, never stayed at an Affinia Hotel before, will be sure to try again. By the way view of the Capital is awesome!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Dear oldslaem,

It’s so wonderful to hear that you were so pleasantly surprised during your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. Thank you for taking the time to write a review regarding your recent business trip.

As a first experience, I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us and I will be sure to share all of your feedback with me team here.

We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Roger Aberth

Been to Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel? Share your experiences!