“Nice hotel near the Capitol” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel

You added Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park with Us for Just $10
Ranked #68 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
NYC
“Nice hotel near the Capitol”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2013

Stayed here while attending a professional conference across the street at the Regency Hyatt, an older and more expensive hotel.

The Liaison is a "boutique" hotel with a contemporary, upbeat design and decor. The rooms are small but nice. There is a coffee maker in the room.

Downstairs there is a contemporary, upscale restaurant but no coffee shop or gift shop. The business center is free and the staff very friendly.

I find the Liaison much more comfortavble than the Hyatt.

• Stayed October 2013
Roger A, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear DrKatieRN,

I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed our “contemporary, upscale” hotel and restaurant during your recent business trip with us and had a very comfortable stay.
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your experience at The Liaison. I will be sure to share all of your feedback with my team here especially with regards to our hotel’s gift shop. Because we do not have vending machines available for guests, we do have a gift shop located on our lobby level that is open from 7am-11pm. My apologies that this was not communicated to you.

We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for you, please feel free to let me know.

Roger Aberth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Hebrew first
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We recently stayed at the Liaison Capitol Hill for 3 nights. I selected this hotel based on its convenient location and also due to a previous experience with Affinia. Upon an early arrival we were able to store our bags with ease so that we could do some sight seeing prior to our check in time.

LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION. Seriously that's enough to stay here. Everything was within walking distance. We walked to Union Station, The Capitol, Verizon Center, Newseum, Ford Theatre, Old Post Office, The National Mall, Spy Museum etc. There's also a liquor store next door, a starbucks and a great little corner bakery where we had breakfast every morning.

Our room was ready on schedule and my first impression was that it was very clean. Yes the bathroom is small but it had everything we needed. I actually liked the motion sensor bathroom light. I do agree that the coffee tray was in an odd location due to its proximity to the bathroom/plug-in but I have two arms so I just moved it over to the desk for the duration of our stay and used that area as a vanity.

The beds were extremely comfortable and the bedding is really nice! The sheets stay nice and cool :) I took advantage of the pillow options as well. And I'm glad they have a safe in the room to lock up passports/extra $$ etc.

I did have one issue with my bill at the end but it did get fixed. The only thing I would have liked to have seen done differently would have been to have a mini fridge in the room, and free wi-fi, both of which are pretty standard in hotels these days. I didn't bother paying for wi-fi because $13 per device seemed a bit steep. The free wi-fi in the lobby is convenient, but gets gets crowded and sometimes its nice to have some privacy, like when you're trying to let all your friends and family know that you just got engaged :P

Overall it was a good stay and given the events of this trip I expect we'll be back.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Newfie-K,

Congratulations on your engagement! What a wonderful and special time for you and your fiancé, I wish you both all the best! Thank you for such an amazing and detailed review of your recent stay with us. You hit on so many of the points that truly make our property special and one that I am proud to work in. I am very pleased to hear that we lived up to your expectations and more during your trip, especially with you having prior experience with the Affinia brand-a double win!

I truly appreciate all of your feedback and will share it with my team here. We would be delighted to host you again the next time you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Rotorua
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

We recently spent 4 nights in Washington DC sightseeing and stayed here. The location was excellent easy walking distance to the Mall and museums, Capitol, Union Square Railway Station and several restaurants. Also the Big Bus which we used to visit all the attractions stopped right outside the door. The concierge staff were most helpful and friendly. The room whilst a little on the small side was very comfortable and quiet. We did not eat at the hotel so can not comment on this. There are 2 great Irish Pubs around the corner!
Would recommend this hotel for anyone looking to stay in the Capitol Hill area

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Ruth G,

I am so happy to hear that you were able to enjoy all of the sights of DC during your recent stay with us. I couldn’t agree with you more that we truly have a great location here with access to so many attractions and sights. I will be sure to share all of your wonderful feedback with my team here; especially our concierge staff who helped you navigate the area.

Thank you for your review regarding your recent trip to our nations’ capitol. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Fremont, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed 7 nights as part of family gathering and sightseeing. All staff: front desk, concierge, housekeeping, restaurant, room service, and tech (wierd phone issue) were great. They flowed up quickly and thoroughly on any concern I mentioned. Comfy, clean, great decor.

Stayed October 2013
Dear eljoh1,

Thank you for such a wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. Service is our number one priority and I am so very pleased to hear that everyone you came in contact with provided such excellent and welcoming service. I will be sure to share all of your feedback with my team here.

We look forward to having the opportunity to host you the next time you are in the area. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

I recently stayed here on a business trip and the hotel staff could not have been more helpful or any kinder! The front desk supervisor, Luana Paladino Calloway, went out of her way to assist me in making electronic PDF copies of presentation materials I needed under a tight deadline for work that evening. That certainly wasn't in her "job description," and she could have kindly pointed me to a Kinkos or other place nearby where those services are customarily offered (at cost) - but she didn't. Instead, she smiled and could not have been more gracious in assisting me with this request. That kind of helpful attitude was indicative of the entire staff whom I encountered during my hotel stay - from the gentlemen at the front door, greeting me when I came in and offering to be of assistance, to the room service staff who delivered my delicious meal that evening. As for the rest of the hotel generally, the rooms were very clean and modern, and the hotel itself is very centrally and conveniently located. I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking to stay on Capitol Hill. Thank you to the staff again for a great stay!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Dear DCtraveler5555,

Thank you for such a wonderful review regarding your recent stay with us here at The Liaison Capitol Hill. Service is such an important part of what we do here and I am so very pleased to hear that your stay was made all the better by the interactions you had with so many members of our staff. I will be sure to share all of your feedback with our team here, especially Luana who truly is a gem.

Thank you once again for such an amazing review. We look forward to hosting you again the next time you are in our nation’s capital. If there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Nelson, New Zealand
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We recently stayed at the Liaison for 4 days.
Room was satisfactory, but tired and a little snug. Bathroom very small and shower was over the bath. Motion activated light in the bathroom was a little odd. There was no power outlet for shaving or drying your hair in the bathroom -it was outside the bathroom door right alongside the tea and coffee making facilities! Not ideal or hygienic!
Hotel is situated within fairly close walking distance to Union Station which was helpful. There is a small shop on the corner next to the hotel which sells stores and alcohol. We were approached multiple times by people around this area asking us to give them money.
Only ate at the Hotel restaurant on the first night of our stay. We felt very squished in,even though there seemed to be plenty of empty roomier seating options available - almost sitting on top of the people at the next table. Very uncomfortable and made conversation virtually impossible. The service here was very umm.....disengaged!! However food was okay. We ate elsewhere for the reindeer of our stay.
Front desk staff pleasant.
This was a very average hotel - we would not stay here again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Sterling-Stoke,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us while visiting DC. My team and I truly appreciate all of the feedback we receive as it helps us gauge guest needs as well as implement new systems to close any gaps where we have fallen short.

I am very sorry to hear that you did not fully enjoy your vacation with us. We strive to offer exceptional service and would love the opportunity to host you again and get it right. Please feel free to reach out to my office directly if there is any way I can be of service to you.

Lancaster, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

I stayed at the Liaison Capitol Hill recently on business and had a suite. What a joke. I have had better rooms at a Holiday Inn Express. The attached room was not conducive at all to meeting with or entertaining colleagues as there was a completely made up fill sized bed in it. Also, there was a bathroom in each room of the suite. The bathroom that was in the "bedroom" side of the suite had a nice shower, but the grout was dirty and had missing or chipped tile near the floor. Also, there was no place within reach to hang a towel. The bathroom that was in the "living room" side of the suite did not have an outlet so if there were other people actually sleeping in that side, they would have to share the other bathroom to dry or curl their hair or use an electric shaver.

There was a refrigerator (if you could call it that) in the "living room" side. It was about 2 feet high at the most, was dinged and marked on the outside and only had 1 shelf right at the top. Barely room to put anything in it. And I would have expected a small microwave oven, but there was not one. The rest of the furniture in that room was extremely bulky making it hard to fully open the door between the 2 rooms.

However the part that I found to be most aggravating/amusing was the motion activated lighting in the bathrooms. Now I don't know about you, but if I need to get up during the night to use the restroom, the last thing I want to do is turn on a light. Since the lights are motion activated, you have no choice. As soon as you walk into the bathroom the lights go on. So - you have 2 options. 1. walk into the bathroom with your hands over your eyes and then turn it off without uncovering your eyes. or 2. let the flash of bright light blind you before turning them off. Then - to make matters worse - when you are showering, the motion sensor does not detect any movement behind the shower wall or curtain, so the lights GO OFF in the middle of your shower. This again leaves you with 2 options. 1. complete your shower in the dark. or 2. stick a limb out of the shower and shake it all about (think Hokey Pokey here) to get the light to go back on.

The only part of my stay that was satisfying was the fact that our conference/meeting rooms were nicely set up, the food was good and the young man responsible for the AV equipment was FANTASTIC - very polite, helpful and knowledgeable. So if you are looking for a nice place to hold a conference, this is it. But otherwise - STAY AWAY.

Room Tip: if you want a good room, stay somewhere else