“Great Hotel - Restaurant over priced & not so good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel to your Saves list
The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Romance or Retreat
Ranked #69 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Washington
“Great Hotel - Restaurant over priced & not so good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed 5 nights in the Liaison booked through Virgin - June 2013. Location is absolutely great - just a short walk to the Capitol Building and 10 minutes max to Union Station - Perfect. You can also pick up the hop on/off tour bus outside the front door. My experience of the hotel was as expected though I was disappointed the brochure talked of the paintings of ex presidents and Winston C / Maggie T in the foyer but they had re-decorated and taken then down to be replaced with a hideous piece of modern art representing the city. We were on a quiet floor apart from the odd door slamming. Rooms were very stylish and modern though the bathroom was sooooo tiny. Spotlessly clean throughout but the pool area needs upgrading - Furniture a little tired and needs parasols for those who just want to sit with a drink. As always kids in the hotel pool take over - This is not a hotel for kids and parents if you wanted to have a pool holiday take your kids somewhere else - inflatables in the pool irritate me as this pool was more like a dipping pond. I don't need screaming kids on a hot roof top. Michelle on concierge duty was lovely and helpful - She even arranged my shuttle back to the airport. I would definitely recommend the hotel for a short trip but anything longer than a week I would suggest you chose a place that has a bigger lounge to relax in and pool. We enjoyed it though and felt it was good value except for our awful almost raw chicken in the over priced restaurant. Only used it once and never went there again - there are cheaper eateries nearby and serve great food / drinks at reasonable prices.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reggie C, Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, June 30, 2013
Dear 670Tracy,

Thank you so much for your review following your recent stay with us. The feedback we receive from our guests is so valuable to us and really helps us understand what we do well and where we have room to improve.

It's nice to hear that our location was convenient for you to visit the Capitol Building and Union Station as well as to take the hop on, hop off tour. I'm glad that your room was quiet, clean, and that you liked our new guest room decor. I am thrilled that you got to meet Michele and will make sure that she gets to read your wonderful comments.

I appreciate your feedback regarding our rooftop pool and our restaurant and will make sure that I discuss your points with our leadership team for consideration.

Please feel free to contact me directly anytime.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (302)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

Close to union street station safe area clean hotel rooms are awesome comfy bed and linen breakfast is just wonderful pleasant experience for the money gym is very basic nice pool great size tv nice shower

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Dear Andrew C,

Thank you for choosing to stay at The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel during your recent trip to Washington DC. I really appreciate you taking the time to share some feedback following your visit.

I'm glad that our location near Union Station was convenient for you and that you found our guest rooms to be clean and comfortable. Those are two of our top priorities!

It's also great to hear that you got to enjoy our newly renovated restaurant, Art and Soul, and that you spent some time in the fitness center and at our Rooftop Pool & Bar.

We hope to have the opportunity to host you again soon!

3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

Windows are terrible you cant see out of them, bathrooms small no venting fan in bathrooms, internet $13 no free anything. The only thing good was the food at the bar.Parking? Be prepared $48 a night. Valet, tell them what yu want them to do. I wouldn't stay again

• Stayed June 2013
Dear DownwitRiverside,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us. We truly believe that feedback from our guests is the most valuable way to know what we do well and where we need to improve.

I would love to hear more about your stay and what you think we can do differently that would encourage you to return. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime.

Rochester, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Wildly impressed. The room was clean, comfortable, and even smelled good. And the food...best in-room dining experience ever - so delicious I felt compelled to write a note of thanks to leave on my dinner tray! Who does that???

Dear Becky C,

Thank you for your wonderful feedback following your stay at The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel.

I am thrilled that you were so comfortable and that your in-room dining experience was the best ever. What a compliment! I have shared your fantastic feedback with our team here. We all love hearing about our guests' experiences.

We hope to see you again soon. Please feel free to contact me directly anytime.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Very central to Capitol Hill and the main sights of Washington. Easy walk to Capitol Hill Suggest give the Segway tour a go. Great fun. Smithsonian Institutes and Capitol Tours free entry. Very hot. The mall is 2 miles long so a long walk and for the fit only

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Maryke S,

I wanted to thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us! I'm glad that you enjoyed your visit to Washington DC so much. It sounds like you were busy while you were in town!

I'm happy that we are located so perfectly for a trip to the Capitol and that you tried the Segway tours and saw the Smithsonians and the Capitol. You're right - DC does get hot this time of year!

We hope to see you again soon!

Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

My office booked me into this hill for a week's worth of meetings and having read other reviews about street noise I asked for a "room high up and in the back." They accommodated me on the 10th floor and as far back as I could get. And it was perfect.

Check-in was seamless and courteous.

The room was large with sofa and the bathroom small but sufficient. The closet was barely large enough to hold a week's worth of suits. The safe is on a shelf in the closet positioned about a foot off the floor so you have to stand on your head to get into it. Dresser drawers were provided, which is a pet peeve of mine. I HATE sliding my socks, underwear, folded shirts and miscellaneous into a shelf and then digging for them. And it doesn't matter if I'm staying a night or a week, I always unpack my suitcase and put my clothes away. I appreciate drawers!

The room had a long work space and WiFi was barely adequate. If I left the laptop unattended for even a few minutes, my WiFi disconnected. The bandwidth was problematical for Skype but adequate for email.

The calling rates were posted and are OBSCENE, so don't even think of making a phone call from the room under any circumstances, including emergencies. Sometimes I wonder why hotels even bother installing telephones and then posting rates like this.

The hotel is the former Holiday Inn across New Jersey Ave from the Hyatt. It is busy, busy, busy catering to conferences, so the bar is quite the meat market. They have a good selection of beers and appetizers, including an excellent cheese plate.

Breakfast is managed well with a limited menu. I checked in for 7 nights and was handed 7 breakfast vouchers not to exceed $20. There are enough selections that you can slide in under $20, but for some odd reason the voucher states it is limited to the continental breakfast only, which just happens to be the highest priced menu item at $16, leaving little room for juice ($4.00) and coffee ($4.00) plus tax.However, I was told at the front desk it was a $20 voucher and I only had two waiters tell me it was for continental only, but I pushed back. But on my last morning - the seventh - I was informed the voucher was no longer eligible because it expired the day before. And therein lies the biggest problem with this hotel - communication among the staff. See my review of the restaurant Art & Soul to see what I mean.

Room Tip: High up and in the back!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

Excellent location for meetings on the Hill. Good knowledgeable, friendly (but not intrusive) service. Excellent service recovery after a minor problem at breakfast in the restaurant. Next time I'd bring a swimsuit for a morning swim in their lovely rooftop pool.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reggie C, Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Dear Peggy P,

I wanted to thank you for your great review of your recent stay at The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel! I really appreciate you taking the time to share some feedback with us.

It is fantastic to hear that we were located conveniently for your Hill meeting. I will be sure to share your comments regarding our friendly service and service recovery with our entire team.

We hope to see you again soon, and that this time you get to spend some time at our Rooftop Pool & Bar!

Hotel Manager

Been to The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel? Share your experiences!