“Very good, but...” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel to your Saves list
The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Pump, Park & Stretch
Ranked #57 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Annapolis, Maryland
“Very good, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I stayed here midweek for a conference. The location is ideal, the hotel is clean, well decorated and the service is efficient and courteous. The room was nice, if a little small and quiet. There's a "but" here that's frustrating, because I can't put my finger on it. There's a sort of impersonal feel to the facility and from the staff. It's as if all the right boxes were checked, but that feeling you get at other hotels in the same category just isn't there.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Reggie C, Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
Dear Petertr3,

Thank you very much for writing a review after your recent stay with us. The best way for us to learn where we can improve is by listening to feedback from guests like yourself.

I am thrilled that you were comfortable in your guest room and that you enjoyed our location. Our goal is to make our hotel feel like your home-away-from-home, personable and customizable, so we will keep looking for ways to improve our service.

We hope you will keep us in mind the next time you are visiting the nation's capital!

1,798 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Polish first
Beaufort, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location! Easy walk to Capital Hill and quick access to Union Station. While there are many great lunch options close by - the Senate Cafeteria, restaurants at Union Station - there are few options for dinner within easy walking distance of the hotel. There is a restaurant at the Liaison itself, but I chose not to eat here. There is an Irish pub nearby which was good, as well as a delicious little New York style deli across the street from the hotel which was amazing...but these were the only close options for dinner in the evening.

The room itself was very comfortable and nicely adorned. The bathroom was better than many hotels in which I've stayed. As another reviewer mentioned, the reception with the television was pretty bad - but bearable to watch. My biggest complaint is that wifi internet is not included. It was an additional $20 a day to access wifi in your room. You could access it in the lobby for free and though the lobby is very nice, it is small and offers few areas for seating. In addition, the seating areas in the lobby are beside the front door and very close to the front desk - people were constantly brushing past me as I tried to work on my laptop/tablet in the lobby.

All in all, The Liaison is a great hotel and I would certainly recommend it for business travelers working around the Capitol Hill area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Jeffs1126,

Thank you for recommending The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel! I am very happy to hear that our location was convenient for your stay.

I'm glad that you found the guest room and bathroom to be comfortable, and I hope the next time you're in DC you will try our in-house restaurant, Art and Soul.

We look forward to hosting you again soon!

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2013

I had booked a few days in the Liaison for a break with my girl friend. I was coing in from London, my girlfriend from the west coast. i arrived beore midnight to find that the they did not have the room that I ahd ordered, but had us in a standard with twin beds. The staff were unhelpful, evasive, smug and condisending. I got no responce. As a prepaid customer ther attitude was ..."tought" ..."take it or leave it.."
The next morning the staff in the breakfast room were equally bad mannered, and insisted we sit were we were told to, regardless of the place being empty... in the end we ate breakfast in the Hyatt across the road. They were what you would expect from a top American hotel ....my advise is tay at the Hyatt and and never go neaar those auful people at the Liasison.
They charged $13 a day for wifi...and $6 for a bottle of water in the room....!!

Room Tip: dont go there....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Richard G,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write about your recent stay at our hotel. I sincerely apologize that you did not receive the level of customer service that we believe every guest should experience.

I am following up with our teams on your room type as well as your experience in the restaurant. I truly hope that you will give us a second chance the next time you are in DC.

Please feel free to contact me directly in the future.

Hoboken, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

My fiance and I went down to Washington D.C.for a few days to attend 2013 National Police Week and we stayed at The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel. It's a boutique hotel on New Jersey Avenue, a few blocks from the Capitol and Judiciary Square. If you plan to visit other sites such as the White House, Washington Monument this hotel might be too out of the way but if you don't mind taking public transportation, Union Station is near by. We needed to be close to Judiciary Square.

The lobby is small and it was very noticeable with everyone checking in/out but I thought it was very nice. Since we arrived way before the check-in time (3pm) they kept our luggage for us while we attended a Nationals game. Sure enough they called to tell us our room was ready and we could pick up our keys and luggage whenever we returned.

Our room was very nice and comfortable and the bathroom was just right. We weren't there to watch tv but when we did it seemed like there was a bad signal. We didn't fuss b/c we were barely in our room but it may be something they want to check out. I can not attest to the restaurant but the room service (breakfast) we ordered before we left was very good as well.

We did the express check out which was great. You call down to the front desk and just let them know and they'll charge everything to your credit card even your parking. Getting our car on the other hand was not so great. We handed the ticket to the attendant and he asks if we paid. I said yes, we did express check out and he says no it's not paid. After 10 minutes of this and the helpful doorman actually going in and getting a print from the front desk we finally got our car. I think there might have been a disconnect between the parking attendants system and the front desk.

Over all, we enjoyed our stayed at the Liaison Capitol Hill!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reggie C, Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear bagsnob,

I’m so glad to hear that you had a great stay with us at The Liaison Capitol Hill. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.

National Police Week is one of our favorite yearly events! I hope you enjoyed our location close to Union Station and the Capitol building.

We value all feedback because it gives us a chance to improve, and I’ll be sure to look into the valet issue.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to the nation’s capital.

San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed in April 2013 for four nights. The location is excellent if, as a tourist, one is primarily focusing on the Capitol Hill side of the Mall. Otherwise, the location does seem a bit out of the way, even taking into account the proximity to Union Station. The staff of the hotel are competent but not overly helpful - they do not have umbrellas to borrow at the front desk or from the bell check stand, and the valet staff were minimally helpful in flagging taxis. The hotel is brimming with families, so, couples may feel a bit awkward amongst the kids and teens. The room was just barely upgraded from a Holiday Inn, and the size and decor is disappointing in light of the photographs on the website. The water pressure was good, but the soaps supplied were not of a high quality. We would likely not stay here again, but, we would make a special trip to eat at Art & Soul off the lobby again.

Room Tip: We had a room that faced the main street and had no noise issues.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reggie C, Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Kroupdog,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I hope you enjoyed our location just blocks from the U.S. Capitol and Union Station.

We always enjoy comments from guests so that we can continually improve, and I will be sure to share your feedback to our associates.

We would love to have you back for a special trip to Art and Soul restaurant. It’s one of my favorites for sure.

Please let me know anything that I can assist you with.

New Castle, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

Me and my friend traveled to DC to tour the museums and relax for the weekend.
I understand that everyone's preferences differ, as well as what they're staying for; therefore, some people may have ill feelings about The Liaison Capitol Hill, but I think that anyone posting negative reviews is just nit-picking. If you are looking for a nice location, great service, and comfortable accomodations, there should be absolutely nothing to complain about at The Liaison.

Parking for the night is $48 and the valet were very professional and the process was quick and easy. If you would rather not pay $48, you're going to have to find street parking (which is meter-fed), or go find a parking garage. When I first arrived, I was impressed with how neat, clean, and decorative the lobby was. The hotel's restaurant Art & Soul and its bar can be seen through the lobby. Check-in took less than five minutes, and the staff was very friendly and welcoming. I had previously requested a sound pillow and the pillow was sent up less than five minutes after getting in our room. Even the person delivering the pillow was extremely friendly.

We stayed in the two queen beds deluxe room. Every amenity you could think of was provided. The beds were extremely comfortable, with plush pillows, giant headboards, and overhead reading lights. The decor was sleek and modern. The bathroom is tiny, but it's not like more than one person needs to be in the bathroom at a time. There were extra towels and washcloths, and there were huge bottles of shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. At one point, we needed a wine opener, and they quickly sent that up as well.

There was a rooftop pool and bar, but we could hardly see it because the door was locked, since the pool doesn't open until Memorial Day weekend. The gym was large, with several different cardio machines and weights. The machines were all touch screen.

The location of this hotel is a big plus. You can see the Capitol from the front of the hotel, and the National Mall is within walking distance. We went out for dinner, and the bell hops quickly called us a cab, who sit in front of the building, which was very convenient as we didn't have to find and flag down a cab ourselves. When returning to the hotel, we stopped by the bar at Art & Soul. The bartenders were extremely friendly and knowledgable, giving us suggestions and conversating. The bar was not loud, obnoxious and messy, which most bars are at midnight on a Saturday. The bartenders at Art & Soul went around to every guest, told them it was last call and asked if they needed anything else. We were the last ones there, and they did not rush us out.

I did not experience the noise anyone is complaining about. It was actually very quiet at night. Even if there was noise, it was to be expected, since the hotel is located in a busy part of town.

The next morning, we ate breakfast at Art & Soul. There was a short wait, and the hostess came to get us in the lobby when our table was ready. The staff here were also very friendly. The food was the best breakfast food I have ever had, and it came out fast. We wanted to walk around some more before we left, so we were able to leave our bags with the bell hop. Check-out was quick and easy.

Overall, I had a perfect stay at the Liaison. The price was extremely reasonable for the amazing service we received. Besides the location, the best thing about The Liaison was the great service, and the fact that we felt cared about. I usually don't get that in other hotels; they just want to get you in, take your money, and see you on your way. From the front desk, and concierge, to the bartenders, the service at The Liaison guaranteed me to return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Kelly M,

I can’t wait to share your review with our entire team! It sounds like you had wonderful time. Thank you for highlighting our “nice location, great service, and comfortable accommodations.”

We hope to see your back during the summer so you can check out our Rooftop Pool & Bar. It actually opens up today, Friday, May 24th and is open through Labor Day.

All your comments regarding amenities like our Dream Pillow Menu, service at Art and Soul restaurant, and guestroom look and feel are exactly what we strive to hear.

Please let me know when you plan your next trip to Washington, DC. We look forward to hosting you once again.

Düsseldorf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel is located on New Jersey Ave and D Street and standing right in front of the hotel you´ll see the Capitol. Good first impression. It is two blocks to Union Station which was quite convenient. But, two block into the other direction the area is less good with lots of homeless people living above the I-395 tunnel. It can get kind of loud because right next to the hotel on the left there´s a fire engine station which may wake you up at night when they receive a call.

Small driveway upfront the hotel, not much space. We returned our rental car after check in at the hotel to Union Station because you won´t need car in Washington and valet parking was at ridiculously expensive 48 Dollars a night.

Very nice welcome by Erin at the front desk, room ready at 1:30PM. Nicely designed lobby. The rooms are beautiful, they had an excellent interior designer, stylish and newly renovated. Colourful wallpaper in the room and the bathroom. Comfortable bed, sofa and safe in the room, no fridge. The room had a connecting door but was quiet. Cleanliness was excellent, thumbs up for the friendly housekeeping.

Internet is free in the lobby only, they´ll charge you in the room (12$) as well as in the Business Center. The hotel features a restaurant which we didn´t use.

A very nice hotel, we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear urlaubsbaerchen,

I’m happy to know that you had a great first impression of our hotel upon your arrival. We really enjoy our prime location so close to the U.S. Capitol Building. I hope you were able to do some sightseeing in the city.

Our rooms were recently redesigned, so thank you for your nice feedback. I agree with you that they’re beautiful and stylish!

Thank you for your comments about Erin. She’s wonderful and such an asset to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Washington, DC. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me anytime.

Hotel Manager

Been to The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel? Share your experiences!