“Nicely designed hotel near Capitol Hill” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel

You added Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park with Us for Just $10
Ranked #71 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Düsseldorf
“Nicely designed hotel near Capitol Hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

The hotel is located on New Jersey Ave and D Street and standing right in front of the hotel you´ll see the Capitol. Good first impression. It is two blocks to Union Station which was quite convenient. But, two block into the other direction the area is less good with lots of homeless people living above the I-395 tunnel. It can get kind of loud because right next to the hotel on the left there´s a fire engine station which may wake you up at night when they receive a call.

Small driveway upfront the hotel, not much space. We returned our rental car after check in at the hotel to Union Station because you won´t need car in Washington and valet parking was at ridiculously expensive 48 Dollars a night.

Very nice welcome by Erin at the front desk, room ready at 1:30PM. Nicely designed lobby. The rooms are beautiful, they had an excellent interior designer, stylish and newly renovated. Colourful wallpaper in the room and the bathroom. Comfortable bed, sofa and safe in the room, no fridge. The room had a connecting door but was quiet. Cleanliness was excellent, thumbs up for the friendly housekeeping.

Internet is free in the lobby only, they´ll charge you in the room (12$) as well as in the Business Center. The hotel features a restaurant which we didn´t use.

A very nice hotel, we would consider staying here again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reggie C, Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear urlaubsbaerchen,

I’m happy to know that you had a great first impression of our hotel upon your arrival. We really enjoy our prime location so close to the U.S. Capitol Building. I hope you were able to do some sightseeing in the city.

Our rooms were recently redesigned, so thank you for your nice feedback. I agree with you that they’re beautiful and stylish!

Thank you for your comments about Erin. She’s wonderful and such an asset to our team.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Washington, DC. Please don’t hesitate to reach out to me anytime.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Hebrew first
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed here in March 2013. The hotel is comfortably situated near The Capitol Hill and the Grand Central Station. Good sized rooms, friendly staff etc makes it a comfortable stay. The highlight is the location. It is about 7 minute walk to Grand Central station and a 10 minute walk to the Capitol Hill Visitor Centre. The sight seeing tour companies have a stop in front of the hotel as well.

The pillow menu is a fantastic touch. The in-house restaurant Art & Soul has a good ambiance for dining.

All in all, not an extraordinary hotel, as it has its flip sides. The small lobby is crammed with people logging on to use the free Wi-Fi in mornings and evenings. The biggest disadvantage for people traveling with babies is the lack of a hot water kettle. Also, for people wishing to have tea. Now am not sure if its the American way, but having expresso machines in the hotel doesn't service guests who don't drink coffee. Even if they do, they don't have an alternative as well. For babies needing hot water to prepare milk, it is a disaster. We did request for the hot water in flasks, but the flasks had a really strong coffee flavour.

Just a few steps away, there is a nice little cafe called, Billy Goat Tavern which serves in-expensive but good American breakfasts.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Reggie C, Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear adarshry,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us and sharing your experience with other travelers. Our location close to the U.S. Capitol and Union Station is fantastic, and I’m happy to hear that you saw a lot of the city.

Our Dream Pillow menu is definitely one of my favorite amenities as well!

I really appreciate all your feedback and have shared it with the team. It’s with comments like yours that we can continually improve.

We hope to host you again when you return to Washington, DC.

Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

The Liaison could be such a good place to go, it's well located, nice building, but I didn't get much sleep there. I found the plugs for the ears the morning we left and still I don't feel it's appropriate to serve guest with ear plugs. We didn't have a view from our room and I heard trucks going all night.

The room was pretty nice, everything was but the one thing I expect from a hotel. I don't spend much time in it because I want to visit, but when night falls, I only wish for a good night rest to go on the next day.

It's a nice place and I hope they'll work on that.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Pat L,

I really appreciate you taking the time to review your trip and sharing your DC experience with us and other travelers. It’s with feedback like yours that we can continually improve.

I’m happy to know that you enjoyed your guest room, and I’m sorry about the noise issue that you encountered.

Please feel free to reach out to me any time. We look forward to hosting you once again.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013 via mobile

On holidays from Sydney (Aus) we were fortunate to have booked with Affinia in both NYC and DC . Boutique hotels in the best of locations and with helpful and friendly staff made for a wonderful holiday. The Liaison was a short walk to Union Station, restaurants in 7th ave and with Capitol Hill at the end of the block. While I have read some negative comments on the size of the bathroom we found the bathroom size fine, particularly the provision of a bath. The room was a good size, well appointed and quiet. I have to agree with other reviewers comments that Affinia excels in the comfort of their beds and their menu of pillows we found, having stayed at other hotels in Los Angeles and Las Vegas, that such attention makes for an even more enjoyable and relaxing holiday. Many thanks Affinia we will definitely be booking our next travels with you.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reggie C, Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear J N,

Thank you so much for your kind review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel. It is wonderful to hear that you had such a nice time at Affinia hotels in both New York and DC during your vacation!

The comfort of our guests is Affinia's top priority, so I'm glad that you enjoyed our beds and our Dream Pillow Menu so much. It sounds like our Capitol Hill location was perfect for you to visit some of DC's most popular attractions and nearby restaurants while you were here.

Thank you again for recommending our hotel, and we look forward to hosting you during your next trip to the United States!

Orlando, Fl
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2013

How can a place whose chief purpose is to provide a place to sleep, have an attached parking garage where the valets honk the horn rounding the turns - ALL NIGHT LONG....
AND at 04:00 start whistling for cabs for departing guests? Can't they use handheld lights or something?
Of course, the drunken people partying in the hallway from 2:30 to 3:00 didn't help. I don't know if the person who told them to shut up and go inside was with them or a hotel employee.

So when I go to check out, I get the, "Was everything okay?", to which I respond, "No. I was kept up all night by cars honking in the garage and bellmen whistling for cabs." The young lady nods and says something to the effect of she's heard this before. After which she presents me with my receipt and says, "Have a nice day !!" (insert smiley face here).
I had decided to stay in DC to get more sleep than I would have, going home and back to work early in the morning... So much for that plan. Was totally wiped all the next day.

I stay in hotels an average of 25-30 nights a year. I have stayed on the first and second floors in places like Madrid, Athens, Paris, London, and New York City with some pretty wild traffic. I have never had such an irritating experience (okay - except for the place where the fire alarm went off twice in one night).

Art and Soul Restaurant was very good. I might come back to eat, but doubt I will stay again. I cannot believe I am the only person who has had this experience (especially as the employee did not seem at all surprised) - yet management apparently does nothing to correct the issues ?? So much for a boutique property in one of the most sophisticated cities in the world.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the front of the hotel unless you are a "dead to the world" sleeper. Not h...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Dear fpc99,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us. I sincerely apologize that you did not get a good night sleep because of the noise. We would love to have you return and can do our best to find a quieter room for you if you let us know in advance. We also have ear plugs in our guestrooms because we know that city noise can be hard to get used to.

I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your meal in Art and Soul, and I hope to see you there again soon!

Please reach out to me at anytime.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2013

An excellent location (on Capitol Hill) with a modern vibe, with comfortable rooms and a great restaurant on the first floor. A bit pricey, but not by DC standards. Staff was friendly, the room clean and well appointed, and the bathroom roomy and well equipped.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reggie C, Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear chrissrli,

Thank you so much for the great review of The Liaison Capitol Hill after your recent stay! It's great to hear that you enjoyed our staff, guestrooms, and Art and Soul restaurant.

Your comfort is our top priority, so I'm glad that you like our contemporary decor and that our location on Capitol Hill was convenient for your trip.

We hope to host you the next time you are in the nation's capital!

Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed at liaison Capitol Hill mid April and found the bed to be the best hotel bed I've ever slept in. Clean crisp sheets and just wonderful. Location was good being close to Union Station which was very handy. Loved the pictures on the walls signifying the 'liaison' theme of the hotel. The bar and lobby were pumping when we were on a Friday night which gave a great positive vibe to the place.
All in all I'd recommend the hotel to anyone visiting Washington as a tourist as it was an easy walk to Capitol Hill and the fabulous museums down the road. Staff were exceptional in providing advice on local attractions.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Reggie C, Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear MBofSA,

I am thrilled to hear that you found our Affinia beds at The Liaison Capitol Hill to be so comfortable during your stay! It is so important to us that our guests get a good night sleep when they are away from home.

We are really lucky to be located as close to Union Station, the Capitol building, and the National Mall as we are. It sounds like you were busy exploring while you were here!

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay in April and for recommending our hotel. We hope to see you again!