“Posh hotel, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel to your Saves list
The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Pump, Park & Stretch
Ranked #60 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Oakland, California
“Posh hotel, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Overall this place was very nice. The room was clean, the bed was comfortable, and the room was a decent size (it even had a comfy couch). The location was amazing- only steps away from the capital, and the staff was also very helpful. My only complaints were that the wi-fi in the room was extra, and the wi-fi in the lobby was slow and unreliable. Also, the hotel restaurant was delicious, but the only options were gourmet- meaning no chance of a diet coke or plain vanilla ice cream.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Reggie C, Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Dear nskinner67,

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay in Washington, DC with us. Did you visit the Capitol this trip? Clean room, comfortable bed, and amazing location- what more could you ask for when staying in a metropolitan city? We'd love to have you back again!

1,820 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Stayed here in March. Great location - few blocks from Capitol Hill, Union Station, Supreme Court, etc. Short walk to Mall.
No complaints about this place. Paid about 130euro for a single room so I'd expect a decent quality.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Franmol7,

We're glad that you had no complaints and hopefully your stay was more than what you'd expect from a 4 star boutique property on Capitol Hill. It sounds like you were able to take advantage of the great downtown location! We hope to see you next time!

New York City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We got a great rate through a third-party website for our overnight stay in DC, which allowed us to experience an outstanding value for what the Liaison had to offer. We enjoyed the modern decor, comfortable pillows, and some very tasty drinks at the bar. The concierge offered us complimentary wifi for the night, an unexpected (and much appreciated) perk!

There is some noise from the street - but it was less than the normal city noise we have at home. Some previous reviewers have mentioned the location and safety nearby; we walked to the hotel from Union Station at night (past 10 pm) and felt perfectly safe, though the area does clear out at night.

All in all, the Liaison made our brief stopover in DC very pleasant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear metalfrog,

We are so happy at what a great stay you had with us during your overnight in Washington, DC. Especially for being able to provide you with free wifi, that is so nice! Thank you so much for such a great review. We would love to have you back for another stop in DC!

Boston, MA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

I stayed here a couple of years ago, and wrote a review that talked about the pros and cons of this place. Mainly, because the price was right, and the "pros" were good, I said I would stay here again. So I did.

This time, the price was a lot more expensive than last time. I realize it was mid-week, near Capitol Hill, but next time I want to spent $1000 for 2 nights, I'll look elsewhere. This is still a hotel that has very apparent "Holiday Inn" bones.

However, it does have nice touches. It is very clean, with super comfortable beds and an excellent choice of pillows. Slow-closing toilet seats, efficient maid service, close to Capitol Hill/Union Station, etc.

Cons:

I'd requested, in writing, a quiet room "at the end of a hall." I received a confirming response yet was first assigned a middle-of-the-corridor room that overlooked the noisy street. A front desk person was gracious and helpful, and did move me to a room at the end of a hallway, but---annoying.

Also annoying: being charged for internet service. Twelve dollars? Come on. I also dislike being nickel and dimed for water. At least offer a free bottle of water or two. People appreciate it.

So, as I said, it was fine when it was good value. But my next trip (and I've got 2 upcoming), I will check out some other places.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear epilogue,

I am glad that you did in fact come back to stay with us for a second time. I am terribly apologetic to the room location you received. Depending on availability of course, we are able to honor such requests as placing your room at the end of the hall. I am so sorry this was not the case. Please contact my office directly, as I would love to speak with you further in person and see if we can make your next two stays even better!

Loveland, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We picked the Liasion as it was right across the street from the more expensive Hyatt where my husband had a conference. The furnishings were simple, but more modern and even though the layout of our room was typical, the finishing touches made it stand out. Plenty of lighting options for different tasks as well as a simple divan to relax without laying in bed. The lobby offered free wifi which was nice and got us out of the room. The location was perfect for visiting the sites on the Mall with plenty of options for eating within reasonable walking or metro stop distance (Union Station metro stop was the closest with about a 3 block jaunt). Service was great with simple check-in and out and we enjoyed the dine-in option from the Art & Soul restaurant downstairs (best fried chicken ever and only a 30 minute wait on a Saturday night!).

We only had a few complaints, but nothing major. The sheets could have been softer, the shower did need a good scrubbing at the tile and a hook for a garment bag would have been appreciated. Also, while my husband was happy to see the complimentary LaVazza coffee in our room, I would have enjoyed the option of tea as well as a few to-go cups for those days where we didn't have time to sit around and sip our hot drinks. The only other thing that seems to have happened here as well as at other places we've stayed is their claim to only replenish our linens when requested in an effort to save water - every day of our 5-day stay, new towels were hung, including bath, hand and wash cloths.

As I said, these were all minor issues that wouldn't keep us from coming back for our next stay in DC and we'd definitely recommend the Liasion to our friends and family for a great place to call home while in town!

• Stayed March 2013
Sacramento, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

This hotel is pretty much what you would expect from a four star hotel. Good, friendly service, up to date rooms, a spotless property. Like most hotels in this class, little is included in the price of the room. Wi-fi is extra and all telephone calls have a charge, for example. My room had no mini bar or refrigerator. No exercise room. One unusual touch is you can have a choice of six special pillows on request. One is full of magnets, one is pure down, another completely synthetic, there is one that conforms to your head shape and two others. I didn't try any of them as the standard pillows were just fine. The restaurant menu looked good, if pricy. There is a grill/sports bar a block up that has very good food, very reasonably priced, although very informal. The best thing about this hotel is the location, a block away from the capitol.

Room Tip: Sometimes you can get good discounts on internet travel sites, particularly the "blind bid"...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Reggie C, Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Dan834,

Thanks so much for your great review. We appreciate you commenting on the good and friendly service that we provide, along with great modern rooms, which of course were clean as a whistle. I'm sorry you missed our exercise room! It is actually located on the 10th floor! Be sure to ask next time you are staying with us.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

I enjoyed each of my various stays at this hotel, which is extremely convenient to Union Station and most comfortable once you arrive. The rooms are very modern and stylish, with chargers in all the right places, and I found it easy to relax in the room after long hard days. The atmosphere of the hotel was a little cold, though the front desk staff was for the most part very helpful. I don't usually stay in the boutique hotel category, and don't think this experience will change my mind. The lack of services wasn't made up by any special hospitality. It didn't help that the website lured me in with a world famous chef and restaurant, only to find that it was closed for renovation during all of my stays there. When I mentioned this to the front desk they barely seemed apologetic for the false advertising. All that said, I consider this to be a very pleasant and serviceable high end hotel, though as a boutique it has its limits.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear RuHuNJ,

Welcome back! I'm very glad that you were able to get here quickly from Union Station and relax after a long hard day. I do want to apologize that the restaurant was closed during your stay and you were not informed of this. I hope that you will come back again and dine at our brand new revamped Art and Soul. Thanks again for being a loyal Affinia guest!

Director of Operations

Been to The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel? Share your experiences!