“Capitol visit” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel to your Saves list
The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Pump, Park & Stretch
Ranked #57 of 130 hotels in Washington DC
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Capitol visit”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights The room was well appointed, clean and quite spacious . This was our second room as our first one was on a dog friendly floor as we discovered by the noise!! The lack of free wi fi meant that the hotel lobby was always very congested and seating was very limited. At times we had to stand in line for the restaurant as it was impossible to find a seat to have a drink and wait for a table to become available. The complimentary juice in the lobby was a nice touch and very welcome at the end of a hot day . Convenient location and so close to Union station. Restaurant menu was quite limited .

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Claudia E, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear DCH52,

Thank you very much for your review on The Liaison Capitol Hill. I'm glad that you felt the room was well appointed and in such a convenient location. We love when that is such a plus to our guests. We truly hope you had an enjoyable stay and look forward to seeing you again!

1,793 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (269)
  • Polish first
Downey, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

This hotel is one of a kind, very close to the Capital, Library of Congress, Rayburn building, and metro stop.
I first stayed here about 6 years ago with family members. It had a great breakfast, kitchen facilities in the rooms, and it was close to Capital Hill.
It has been remodeled since then, the furniture is upgraded, and it has wi-fi. The only deficiency is that the bathrooms are still small.
There are old townhomes across the street and around the neighborhood. I have been told that decades ago congressmen used to stay in these homes. There are a few markets and a variety of restaurants within a block. The neighborhood is pleasant, but modest - not like Dupont Circle.
A cab driver told us that the hotel rooms can be sold out when there is something special going on with Congress - and there can be heavy security.
It has a wonderful atmosphere and the staff is very responsive.
We liked being within walking distance of the museums.

Room Tip: We liked overlooking the street and the city to the south.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear LoveToTravel99caker,

That is so neat that you were able to stay with us 6 years ago before we became The Liaison Capitol Hill! It must have such a different look and vibe to the hotel than it did previously. What was your favorite part?

We hope to see you again, hopefully before another 6 years goes by!

Modiin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed 3 nights in the hotel for a pure business trip.
The atmoshphere in the hotel was vibrant yet cozy.
The design is modern with a Eurpean touch to it. The room itself was large, very comfortible bed, nice desing again and with small things like ear plugs if you want and a nice music system.
Just very modern and comfortible.
The lobby is small buy very nice and connects nicely to the bar / restaurant which was a happening place in the evenings. Stuff was very nice and helpful too.
On my next trip I'll return.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Claudia E, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear Storm274,

Thanks so much for your great review on The Liaison Capitol Hill. I can imagine that being anywhere for more than one night on a business trip can become draining. I'm so glad that our modern and cozy rooms were able to keep a vibrant mood going!

We very much look forward to your next trip to Washington, DC!

hu10 6as
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2013

Went back to Washington to catch up on missed museum sites stayed at the Liaison it has got better.The rooms have all been updated and it is in the best place to visit every site in Washington. You can arrive at the station shop until you drop or eat every cuisine from around the world but the staff at this venue are the best from reception Catherine, what a star! and Michelle on concierge a mine of information.This hotel was the best all around from our visit to the states from Washington to New York via RIchmond and Boston. The beds are so comfortable and there are 6 pillow choices. The hotel is within walking distance from Union Station, Capitol Building etc Air & Space Museum, Botanical Gardens and Indian Museum. Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Claudia E, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear Bizzyinn,

Neat! What museums did you check out? I'm so happy that the location worked out great for you. You must have been here a while back before the renovation. So glad you liked it. Pretty good upgrade, right?!

We look forward to having you come back a third time.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for one night late Dec 12 for a quick 2 day side trip from NYC and chose the hotel because we staying at a sister hotel, the Affinia Shelburne, in NYC. Location is excellent; less than 10 minute walk from Union Station and 5 minutes to the Capitol Building. Having caught the very early morning bus from NYC, we stopped in to drop off our overnight bag and were delighted to be told that our room was ready for an early check in - excellent ! Room was fantastic with everything you need and very comfy beds - we stayed in a Double Queen room which was more than ample for our family of 2 adults + 2 sons - 16 & 10 yrs. The hotel and our room were a very warm & welcoming haven after our 1st long and rather cold day of walking the Washington Mall and all it's amazing memorials & sights. Had dinner & breakfast at Art & Soul and enjoyed both meals, although the menu choices for the boys were a little limited. Our 16 year old also used the gym to run up a quick 5kms on the treadmill and said the facilities were great. Concierge was very helpful with directions & tips when heading off on our 2 days of sightseeing and the hotel was more than happy to hold our bag after check out for pick up just prior to catching our early evening bus back to NYC. All in all a fantastic stay with excellent service provided by all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Claudia E, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear tmprb,

How wonderful that you chose to stay at The Liaison Capitol Hill for those two reasons: the excellent location and due to your pleasant stay at The Affinia Shelburne. That is so wonderful to hear that we were able to accommodate an early check-in for you. I'm glad that two adults and two boys were able to have a nice comfortable stay with us!

We look forward to your next trip to Washington, DC

Prospect, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am generally in D.C. on business, but also find time to enjoy the capital's attractions. If you are visiting for either, I highly recommend the Liaison. You are minutes from the Hill, the national mall, Union Station, the courts, Chinatown and pretty much every other worthwhile spot. The service is excellent, the decoration is tasteful and the restaurant is good. There is free wifi in the lobby, but the room rates aren't outrageous. There is a great area for hosting business events and the valet also is reasonable for D.C. The room I stayed in was fantastic; easily the nicest room I've had (and I've stayed in some of the trendier hotels in the area), especially for the price. There was no problem with early/late check in and this was during the mad rush/preparation for the presidential inauguration. I was very impressed with this fantastic property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Claudia E, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Worldtravel41,

That is so great that you find time to squeeze in our Nations Capital's main attractions even when you are here on business! I'm so glad you would recommend us to both business and leisure travelers. We are so glad that we are the nicest hotel room you have encountered! That is such a compliment!

Looking forward to seeing you next time!
Inglewood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Got a great deal on this room for a weekend convention, and was very excited because I've stayed at the Affinia in New York, which is amazing.

Katherine at the front desk is a total star, sweet, helpful and smart. She gave such a great first impression. They obviously take good care of the place, and had delicious cider at the front, votive candles along the floor, and an onsite restaurant. The concierge was very helpful as well (can't remember his name), but he gave us a map and set us on our way.

The walls are quite thin, but the rooms themselves are appointed very nicely (adorable headboards, and wonderful lighting for readers). I love the multi-outlets station on the desk - we charged all of our devices at once. There is ample storage beneath the sink in the bathroom which is a definite plus. Heads up - if you're staying with multiple people in the room, there is no separate water closet.

So here's what happened that wasn't so cool - there were some noisy young ladies in the room next to us, close to midnight. I had to call the front desk twice to get someone to come up and talk to them; I called back and asked to get another room. The lady who answered wasn't as immediately responsive as I would have liked, given the hour that I called (approaching 12:30 AM) but to her credit, she got us a corner room and was very discreet about bringing the new key up.

The other issue was billing. The initial reservation was made under my card, but one of my roommates checked in before me and was required to use her card. Although I checked out with a partial payment of cash, and handed the front desk person my card for the balance, my roommate's card was charged instead of mine. We checked out on the 14th, she apprised me of the situation on the 16th and was informed that an email with a receipt would be sent to me ASAP. I have not received an electronic receipt, but I was finally charged either yesterday or today (23rd or 24th).

Overall, it's in a good part of town - near the red line of the Metro, walking distance of the Convention Center, but away from the hustle and bustle, in eyeshot of the Capitol building. The front desk staff was cordial (led by my Katherine!) and helpful. Walls are thin, but the bed is comfy and the room is nicely done (dope red drawer).

I would stay here again, but I hope the billing is taken care of in a better fashion, and I hope they can do some sort of retrofitting to add more soundproofing.

Room Tip: Get a corner room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lizzykins_1913,

I will definitely let Katherine know what a stellar impression she left on you! And concierge too! The multi-outlet charging station does come in handy when you travel with tons of electronics! Please contact my office directly, I will email you a receipt ASAP.

Looking forward to hearing back and of course seeing you next time!
Claudia Eggspuhler

Been to The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel? Share your experiences!