“Fanastic !” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel

You added Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park with Us for Just $10
Ranked #71 of 135 Hotels in Washington DC
Melbourne, Australia
“Fanastic !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We stayed here for one night late Dec 12 for a quick 2 day side trip from NYC and chose the hotel because we staying at a sister hotel, the Affinia Shelburne, in NYC. Location is excellent; less than 10 minute walk from Union Station and 5 minutes to the Capitol Building. Having caught the very early morning bus from NYC, we stopped in to drop off our overnight bag and were delighted to be told that our room was ready for an early check in - excellent ! Room was fantastic with everything you need and very comfy beds - we stayed in a Double Queen room which was more than ample for our family of 2 adults + 2 sons - 16 & 10 yrs. The hotel and our room were a very warm & welcoming haven after our 1st long and rather cold day of walking the Washington Mall and all it's amazing memorials & sights. Had dinner & breakfast at Art & Soul and enjoyed both meals, although the menu choices for the boys were a little limited. Our 16 year old also used the gym to run up a quick 5kms on the treadmill and said the facilities were great. Concierge was very helpful with directions & tips when heading off on our 2 days of sightseeing and the hotel was more than happy to hold our bag after check out for pick up just prior to catching our early evening bus back to NYC. All in all a fantastic stay with excellent service provided by all.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Claudia E, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear tmprb,

How wonderful that you chose to stay at The Liaison Capitol Hill for those two reasons: the excellent location and due to your pleasant stay at The Affinia Shelburne. That is so wonderful to hear that we were able to accommodate an early check-in for you. I'm glad that two adults and two boys were able to have a nice comfortable stay with us!

We look forward to your next trip to Washington, DC

Claudia Eggspuhler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Hebrew first
Prospect, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

I am generally in D.C. on business, but also find time to enjoy the capital's attractions. If you are visiting for either, I highly recommend the Liaison. You are minutes from the Hill, the national mall, Union Station, the courts, Chinatown and pretty much every other worthwhile spot. The service is excellent, the decoration is tasteful and the restaurant is good. There is free wifi in the lobby, but the room rates aren't outrageous. There is a great area for hosting business events and the valet also is reasonable for D.C. The room I stayed in was fantastic; easily the nicest room I've had (and I've stayed in some of the trendier hotels in the area), especially for the price. There was no problem with early/late check in and this was during the mad rush/preparation for the presidential inauguration. I was very impressed with this fantastic property.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Claudia E, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Worldtravel41,

That is so great that you find time to squeeze in our Nations Capital's main attractions even when you are here on business! I'm so glad you would recommend us to both business and leisure travelers. We are so glad that we are the nicest hotel room you have encountered! That is such a compliment!

Looking forward to seeing you next time!
Inglewood, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Got a great deal on this room for a weekend convention, and was very excited because I've stayed at the Affinia in New York, which is amazing.

Katherine at the front desk is a total star, sweet, helpful and smart. She gave such a great first impression. They obviously take good care of the place, and had delicious cider at the front, votive candles along the floor, and an onsite restaurant. The concierge was very helpful as well (can't remember his name), but he gave us a map and set us on our way.

The walls are quite thin, but the rooms themselves are appointed very nicely (adorable headboards, and wonderful lighting for readers). I love the multi-outlets station on the desk - we charged all of our devices at once. There is ample storage beneath the sink in the bathroom which is a definite plus. Heads up - if you're staying with multiple people in the room, there is no separate water closet.

So here's what happened that wasn't so cool - there were some noisy young ladies in the room next to us, close to midnight. I had to call the front desk twice to get someone to come up and talk to them; I called back and asked to get another room. The lady who answered wasn't as immediately responsive as I would have liked, given the hour that I called (approaching 12:30 AM) but to her credit, she got us a corner room and was very discreet about bringing the new key up.

The other issue was billing. The initial reservation was made under my card, but one of my roommates checked in before me and was required to use her card. Although I checked out with a partial payment of cash, and handed the front desk person my card for the balance, my roommate's card was charged instead of mine. We checked out on the 14th, she apprised me of the situation on the 16th and was informed that an email with a receipt would be sent to me ASAP. I have not received an electronic receipt, but I was finally charged either yesterday or today (23rd or 24th).

Overall, it's in a good part of town - near the red line of the Metro, walking distance of the Convention Center, but away from the hustle and bustle, in eyeshot of the Capitol building. The front desk staff was cordial (led by my Katherine!) and helpful. Walls are thin, but the bed is comfy and the room is nicely done (dope red drawer).

I would stay here again, but I hope the billing is taken care of in a better fashion, and I hope they can do some sort of retrofitting to add more soundproofing.

Room Tip: Get a corner room.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Lizzykins_1913,

I will definitely let Katherine know what a stellar impression she left on you! And concierge too! The multi-outlet charging station does come in handy when you travel with tons of electronics! Please contact my office directly, I will email you a receipt ASAP.

Looking forward to hearing back and of course seeing you next time!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is my second time staying at The Liaison and I didn't like it as much as the first and that was solely based on the expensive extras. $12 a day for Wi-Fi per device (so that is $24 a day for a phone and computer), they charge to use the computer in the business center and over $1.00 per page to print. The room service was also expensive and not that great.

Design wise this is one of the coolest hotels I have ever stayed in. In fact I find myself shopping for decor and furniture similar to what was in my hotel room. The hotel staff is very friendly and helpful when needed. The hotel area is another disappointment, there isn't a lot of things open over the weekend and it's not a vibrant hot spot. I actually don’t think I will recommend this hotel to other travelers based on the boring location and the expensive extras. I found hotels closer to vibrant areas that don’t charge all the extras and the nightly rates were less expensive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Claudia E, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
Dear ATLtoEUR767,

Thanks for your honest review. I'm sorry that location didn't appeal to you. I'm assuming you were not here on a museum and Washington, DC touring basis. That is so neat that you began shopping for similar furniture that we have in our guest rooms! Too funny.

Houston
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

My husband surprised me with a quick weekend getaway for my birthday! The hotel was very modern and clean inside. The room was a very nice size and clean. The bathroom was nicely updated and the shampoo's and washes were a nice brand that I opted to use them over my own, which I never do! The only downside about the location was the distance to eateries. We were so tired after the first night we ate at the hotel, which was fine, just a little pricey. I would have just liked a few more options food wise that were closer, but it was really not that big of deal. The train station was super close which was awesome, the capital is right in front of you. Not really a "view" per say inside the room, we overlooked another building, but I wasn't going for the view from my room I was going for the view outside. I would certainly recommend this place. Another nice thing was they let us check in early with no charge. So all in all, yes I would stay here again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Claudia E, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear MavsFanFL,

What an amazing birthday surprise! Brownie points for your husband! That's so funny that you say that, staying at this hotel is the first time I have used a hotel's shampoo and soap rather than my own, and I'm not just saying that! I'm so glad that you had a nice stay with us and really hope you come back for your next birthday!

Waxhaw, NC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed Dec. 27th - Dec. 31st, 2012. We had a great rate on 3 rooms and were pleasantly surprised. It is about a 7 minute walk to Union Station to catch the metro and you can see the Capitol from the front drive. Location is great! The other treat is Art & Soul! The restaurant inside the hotel. We ate there twice and the food is AMAZING! Definitely have the Chicken and Waffles! We also had a bottle of wine and multiple drinks at the bar and I must say, the bartenders and waitstaff at this bar were the best I've ever had. By the 3rd time we walked in, they brought us drinks before we even ordered!!! The ONLY downside is the crowding of the Lobby to jump on the "free' wifi...Lots of kids down there all the time! We would stay here again and again!!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear dchppage,

Wow its sounds like you had a great end of the year trip in Washington, DC! I'm so pleased that you called Art and Soul a nice little treat in addition to the rest of our property! The chicken and waffles are delicious! I'm so glad you enjoyed them too!

Our waitstaff and bartenders are the best! I know that because you are not the first, second, or third, to tell us that!

General Manger
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 22, 2013

The Liaison steps above the monotony of other nice hotels by its decor, great staff service, comfortable and attractive rooms, lively bar and restaurant, proximity to Union Station, the Capitol, etc. I could feel the energy of a distinctive hotel when I stepped into the lobby upon check-in.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Claudia E, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Woodrow S,

Wow! Thank you so much for such a glowing review! I am so glad that pretty much everything fit the bill of what you were looking for! We very much look forward to your next stay with us!