“Great hotel, not great location at night.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel to your Saves list
The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Romance or Retreat
Ranked #69 of 130 Hotels in Washington DC
Matlock, United Kingdom
“Great hotel, not great location at night.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

The hotel itself is of very high standard. Rooms are immaculate and very well furnished. The restaurant is excellent. Staff could not be more helpful. Our only negative point is that you have to get a taxi whenever you want to go out at night - in taking a stroll around the block, we were confronted my sights not appropriate to a 10 year old and often approached by people wanting money, cigarettes etc. other than this, the hotel is ideal for a sight seeing trip to DC.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Claudia E, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Dominic37,

Thanks for your great review on The Liaison. I'm so glad that you had a great stay with us. I can certainely understand your concerns regarding the issues in the surrounding area. It really depends on which routes you take to where. I apologize for this! But please do come back for another stay!

Claudia Eggspuhler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (303)
Oahu, Hawaii
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

We were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready ahead of the check in time of 3:00. The room was clean, modern and minimalist looking with one of the most comfortable beds (double beds) I've slept in. Bathroom felt a little cramped but it was roomy enough to get done what you needed to. The front desk staff were very friendly and welcoming and the lobby area along with Art & Soul (bar and restaurant) had a very modern decor. Our first night for dinner was at Art & Soul and it was a very relaxing atmosphere even though it was crowded with happy hour patrons at the bar. Being that we had just gotten in from a 9 hour flight, that delicious steak I ordered had no chance :o).

You can't beat the location with Capital Hill, and the Smithsonian museums in somewhat easy walking distance, especially if the weather is nice. Union Station is also only two blocks away though there's a little up hill walking however it's not exhausting.

The Liaison is definitely my hotel of choice in DC!

Dear ticktok,

How great! We were able to accommodate an early check in for you! It sounds like everything from the room to the restaurant to the staff were nothing but great!

And of course the location! Since we are now your choice of hotel in DC please keep posted on upcoming packages on our website.

See you soon,
Makawao, Hawaii, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I liked the hotel, and the location couldn't be beat. It is within walking distance of the capitol and the national mall. The price was the best I could find for a family vacation that got us a better class of hotel than the low-price bargains, but didn't break the bank.

Pros:
-- Affordable
-- awesome location
-- friendly, helpful staff
-- nice gym (not big, may be crowded at peak times, but probably right-sized for the hotel)
-- the lobby had a bar/restaurant that seemed pretty lively (we didn't go)
-- room was clean
-- we accidentally left some valuables in the safe when we checked out, and the staff hung onto them for us

Cons:
-- My chief complaint is that the beds were rock hard. If that's your thing, great, but my wife and I were both sore the next day. Perhaps the staff could add a pillow topper or they have other mattresses, but that was our big issue.
-- The room was quite small. For the price and location, we shouldn't complain, but it was rather small.
-- The heating vent whistled like a teapot 24 hours a day. It wasn't that loud, but it was annoying. I'm not sure there was anything to fix, but the staff wasn't able to fix it when I asked.
-- There was some tile work being done right outside the elevators and things were kind of ripped up. I understand that you can't close a hotel to fix every little thing, but it wasn't until the 3rd day that there was any sign of anything getting worked on, so it seemed like it could have moved along faster.

Room Tip: Very hard bed - if not your thing, you might want to ask
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Claudia E, General Manager at The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel, responded to this review, December 29, 2012
Dear David A,

I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you took advantage of our great location. We are so happy that we are close to almost everything!

Guest satisfaction is our number one priority here and I will be sure to discuss all your cons with the entire team. It's with feedback like yours that we can always improve.

Thank you and I hope you had a great holiday season!

All the best,

Marlborough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Excellent location, right by the Capitol Hill building. A short walk to the Smithsonion Museums, White House, National Mall, downtown shops/restaurants/bars. Hotel itself is very smart & modern, bedrooms large & well fitted out, very trendy decor! Nice bathrooms & good complimentary toiletries. Free WiFi in the bar area which is a bonus as so many American hotels don't offer free WiFi...
The bar is a very comfortable & inviting area to enjoy a drink...especially at happy hour when the very expensive cost of drinks is halved! Didn't eat in the restaurant but prices were what you would expect to pay in a good restaurant, if you want good cheap grub go around the corner to the Irish Pub!
Fairly quiet location as far as street noise is concerned as its not on a main throughfare, although you are on a main road you wouldn't notice. Extremely comfortable beds. The only thing that disturbed my sleep was the refuse collection during the night...every night!!
Overall an excellent hotel. Nothing negative to say Would definitly stay again.

Dear Nixey99,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel. I am so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you would love to return. I agree with you that we are close to everything -- I hope you were able to do a lot of sightseeing.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Washington DC. Please feel free to reach out to my office with anything.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

Gulfport, Mississippi
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

Went with a friend for a few days as a Christmas treat to myself. The Liaison is in a great location on Capitol Hill. Just minutes away from Union Station and the Capitol Building and a few of the Smithsonian Museums. Lots of great cafes (including a Starbucks) right around the corner. The hotel has a gym on the top floor as well as a rooftop pool and bar. The rooftop is not accessible during the winter months I'm assuming bc when we tried to access it, it was not working. There is also an attached restaurant, Art & Soul, that also provides in-room dining for breakfast, dinner and late night. The front desk staff was very helpful and courteous when we called to request items and the concierge is also very knowledgeable about locations in the area. When we checked in, we were allowed to choose between a 'quiet room' and a 'room with a view' of which we chose the latter. We were on the fourth floor with a room overlooking the street. The room was standard but did not include a refrigerator or microwave. I'm assuming you would need to request those from the front desk. It did have an in-room safe in the closet for storing valuables. There was a complimentary pillow menu of which we chose the magnetic therapy pillow and it did wonders for great sleep after long tour days in the city.

There was complimentary internet in the lobby, but in-room internet is $12 per night per device so we just opted to go down to the lobby before we settled in for the night. The lighting in the room left a little to be desired for me. There are a few lamps but I wish there was some sort of central lighting/recessed lighting in the room for unpacking etc. Also, there was a $50 'hotel incidentals' charge that I wasn't informed of upon check-in. It covers anything that is used in the room or any-in room dining that is used during the stay. We got a great value on the room through a third party site and I would definitely stay if I'm in the city again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Monica W,

Thank you for your wonderful review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel. We are so happy to hear that you had such a great time with us in Washington, DC. I agree with you that our location is great - I spend a lot of weekends just touring around the city. It sounds like you did the exact same!

We are so proud of our entire team here. I will be sure to share your kind words with the front desk associates. Thank you for the compliments.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to the city. Now you can explore more pillows from our pillow menu.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012

I wouldn't say the three nights I spent at the Liaison were bad, they just weren't as great as they could have been comparatively. The location was excellent!! Our bellmen were delightful, except the language barrier at times, which was also a problem with the concierge when trying to find out more about the city. The room was furnished well, but the shower wasn't just underwhelming for an upscale hotel, it was smaller than a standard home shower. Our room also lacked a refrigerator. It wasn't until we were talking with a bartender did we find out that they have them upon request. Now, this trip was a gift to me, so I didn't have much time to prepare or research before our reservations were made; so the website could have said that the refrigerator was available by request only. We had no use for a microwave, so I am not sure if it would have been available by request or not.

There was also construction on the third floor, which was bothersome on the floors above and below the work. The housekeeping also decided we didn't need our plastic dry cleaning bag in the closet with our pressed clothing which was annoying.

Like I said, they stay wasn't bad, but when we return to DC, I will be exploring other hotels on Capitol Hill. There are others with comparable hotel rates and half the parking costs. Others we talked to on the trip mentioned that of the hotels on Capitol, we didn't get as much bang for our buck as the others in the area offered.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear 922ADavis,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay with us. It's with feedback from people like you that we can always improve our guest services.

I would love to speak with you further about your experience. Please feel free to reach out to my office anytime.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday season.

Prato, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We planned only 2 days stay in Washington DC, and The Liaison Capitol Hill is in the right place to see many sights and visit the Smithsonian Museums and, with 40 minutes walk, reach the Lincoln memorial.
Additionally is very close to Union Station, which is only 10 minutes walk far from the hotel.
Thanks to the staff!

Room Tip: We stayed on a room with king size bed.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Massimo F,

I have already shared your review with the entire team here. Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a nice review of The Liaison Capitol Hill, an Affinia Hotel! I also enjoy the Smithsonian in Lincoln Memorial very much. I am glad you had the opportunity to see them while in the city.

We look forward to welcoming you back when you return to Washington DC. Please let me know if there's anything that we can do for you.

I hope you had a wonderful holiday season. Have a great weekend.

Claudia Eggspuhler

Been to The Liaison Capitol Hill, An Affinia Hotel? Share your experiences!