“Trendy on the Hill” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel

You added Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel to your Saves list
Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   415 New Jersey Avenue NW, Washington DC, DC 20001 (Capitol Hill)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Park with Us for Just $10
Ranked #68 of 133 Hotels in Washington DC
New York, New York
“Trendy on the Hill”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2012

The Liaison Capitol Hill sits business-like on New Jersey Avenue Northwest, conveniently near the Capitol and Union Station. During a recent business trip there, I found the service friendly, prompt, and efficient. The rooms are not spacious, but ergonomically appealing. Lighting is abundant and adjustable; the beds are comfortable, with upscale linens. Flat panel TV, of course; but also a very well designed bathroom with toiletries generously sized and well marked (ever try to discern the labels on those miniscule shower gel, shampoo, and conditioner 'bottles' at 7 in the morning?).
The restaurant, Art and Soul has real cred. Owner chef Art Smith has presented a creative menu that is largely healthy and organic. On my first night's stay, I enjoyed an absolutely delicious and memorable grilled swordfish on a scrumptious bed of kale, white beans, and tasso ham. The smoked tomato broth finished the ironic sense of healthy comfort food that Smith delivers. After eating at Bistro Bis in the George Hotel around the corner (also very good, but more about that restaurant in another post), I returned to the Liaison for Saturday Supper. Supervised by executive chef Wes Morton, this unlikely event was really fun. An evening-long party, the dinner was held in Art and Soul's private dining room. The drinks -- an endless series of delicious and varied cocktails, all based on artisan-crafted Breukelen gin (made where else? Brooklyn, New York, of course), combined with a family-style dinner of coastal Southern comfort food at a huge, lengthy table. The setting was fun, yet elegant, and new friends were quickly made.
And breakfast -- under Art Smith's supervision, healthy breakfasts don't taste like cardboard. His egg white omelet is ridiculously good.
The lobby bar was friendly, with lots of young people, sports on the flat screen, good drinks, and a bartender (shamefully, I can't remember his name -- maybe Ronnie -- too many delicious cocktails) who knew absolutely everything about Washington.
So, the room was outstanding, the service was great, and the restaurant terrific. Any drawbacks?
In my opinion, only one. The lobby is contiguous with the bar and the restaurant, giving them all the feeling of a kind of cavernous railroad station waiting room. People with rolling luggage are sitting next to couples sipping cocktails, who are near the maitresse d' of the restaurant. The atmosphere is trendy, but perhaps a bit chaotic. I would recommend more effective architectural barriers among the three venues.
Oh, and let me put one more issue to rest. I understand that there was a history of bedbugs in this, as in many urban, hotels. I am not sure whether the hotel underwent its multi-million dollar renovation before or after these reports; but I made a specific inspection of my bed on arrival. I lifted all of the linens and the mattress cover from the corner of the mattress. It was brand new, with none of the telltale black marks of bedbugs. The room was meticulously clean and everything seemed brand new.
The Liaison Capitol Hill is neither particularly romantic nor historic; but it is hip and trendy, making a lively spot for home base while doing business in Washington.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Claudia E, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear FoodEpicure,

Everyone from Art and Soul thanks you for your wonderful and glowing reviews. And we are so glad you thoroughly enjoyed Saturday Supper! We will be sure to let Chef Wes and Ronnie know how high your remarks were towards them.

Also, thank you very much for the deep inspection you preformed on our linens, mattresses, and everything in between. We did go through a multi-million dollar renovation recently, and have made serious efforts to ensure our product stays nice and clean.

Claudia Eggspuhler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (345)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

In late August, my two children and I stayed at the Liason for four wonderful nights. Everything from the time we arrived (early) to the time we departed was wonderful. The front desk staff, bell men, concierge. Bartender at the pool bar, lifeguard and the housekeepers where always polite and helpful.

I plan to return to the Liason on my next visit to DC in the next few months. The location was great !

• Stayed August 2012
Dear Iarj61,

How great! It sounds like everything went very smoothly from check-in to check-out just as you mentioned, we love reading that! We very much look forward to your return during your next stay in Washington, DC. Please customize your stay online to make it extra special!

QUEENS ,NEW YORK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

My girlfriends and I stayed here for Labor Day weekend. It was at a great location walking distance or metro ride to everything which was awesome.
Checking in was a nightmare the front desk lady didnt get here name but she was there on Saturday when we arrived, seemed to have a slight attitude. We ordered pillows prior to arrival that were never delivered. We had to call twice and go to the front desk twice before we recieved them.
The hotel it self is nice. The room were comfy and very clean. They gave us extra wash clothes which was awesome. We loved the pool deck and the staff at the pool bar.
The Art and Soul rest. was wonderful. The food there was delicious and the service great.
I wanted to rate this hotel poor because of the front desk service but didnt cause everyone else was just so friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Claudia E, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, September 14, 2012
Dear LINLIN2216,

It sounds like other than the front office check in experience you had, your Labor Day weekend with your girlfriends sounded relatively successful. I am terribly sorry that the check-in seemed haphazardness. That is typically not how we handle and convey our top quality customer service. I will look into this and see what -and where- we went wrong. Thank you for alerting us of this problem. I hope overall this did not cast a bad shadow of our hotel.

Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. The rooms are large, very clean, the beds are very comfortable, the location is perfect -near union station, the restaurant is nice and the food delicious. The hotel staff is welcoming and professional - we will return if we visit Washington again

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Dear Yael P,

I am so pleased to read how wonderful and smooth everything seemed to go with your recent stay at both The Liaison Capitol Hill and your dining experience at Art and Soul. Thank you for commenting on how welcoming, warm, and professional our staff members are- we put customer service at #1!

We look forward to your next stay with us.
Ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

After I got the relatively low rate and read hotel description, shocked to discover that they had only valet parking for $48 per DAY!!! This must be the highest I've ever seen. Thankfully, I had done my research and already knew high parking rates in Washington downtown area. Googled and found a web site provided all public parking spaces and their rates nearby the hotel. Parked somewhere for $75 for 4 days.

Check in was very pleasant, they were very accomodating, even though low rate guaranteed me King room, upon asking they gave us 2 double room. Also, offered to put empty fridge in the room (for free!) which I was more than happy to take.
Bellboys were very nice, gave my kids ride with their luggage carrier when they were carrying our luggage.

Internet in the lobby was free and available without any passwords which was convenient.
Room was small, bathroom was smaller. The only negative for me was, there was virtually no space to put toiletries in the bathroom. Room was clean and tastefully decorated.
We liked the pillows, they were very comfortable but didn't explore much about other types (they have many).
Even though they didn't have snack trays and mini bar, they left bottled water in the room for purchase, small $4 and big $6. There is a corner store you could purchase them for way cheaper.

Rooftop pool was interesting, not too big but not too small either, there were people there all the time and it got crowded at times but we managed to find chairs every time. Hard to swim though since many people were inside. It was very refreshing after a day of sightseeing in the hot and humid weather.

Location is the best thing about this hotel; you get out of the hotel, look left and see Capitol (5 min walk). Union station is 10 min walk away (and these with 2 young and whiny kids)
Even the hop on/hop off bus (which we took) drops you off in front of the hotel before returning to the Union station (red line).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear Sarah_OttawaON,

Your check in experience sounds wonderful- our front office associates are great at nipping small problems in the bud! I'm glad you enjoyed the pillows- next time you stay with us, you can pre-reserve special pillows online at MyAffinia to be delivered and waiting for you in your guest room!

I agree, it is such a cool sight to be able to walk out on the street and see that Capitol on the left hand side, especially for folks not from the Washington, DC area.

See you next time!
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2012

We were a group a friends who decide to come to DC for the Rock and Roll race in March.
It was perfect and even better. The rooms were big enough for our needs, the beds -ooh the beds- were just perfect especially the night after the (half) marathon.
And the staff was also very helpful.
When we arrived, Hichem took care of us: He first announced us that we had only one room booked when we actually booked two - we booked though hotwire..- We started arguing and getting stressed while he remained calm and just told us: Do not worry, if you booked for two rooms you will have two rooms. and 10mns later it was sorted. He made our night!!
I would definitely come back on my next trip to DC.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Claudia E, General Manager at Liaison Capitol Hill DC–an Affinia hotel, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Dear Hajira C,

How was the Rock and Roll (half) marathon?! I am so happy that the beds were perfect a sore body afterwards! Hichem is great at solving problems on the spot. We are lucky to have him on The Liaison Capitol Hill's team!

We look forward to seeing you for your next marathon (half or the full 26.2) in Washington, DC!
Daly City, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

I really like a lot about this hotel. There are some cons too which I'll discuss below.

I'm in a King Deluxe at the end of the 9th floor, far from the elevator and high up. There are only 10 floors. The decor of the lobby, rooms and hallways are very nice and fancy modern with conservative gray and expresso color themes. I'm here for the weekend because I am taking all day classes on Saturday and Sunday about a mile away.

On my first night I came from Judiciary Square metro. I came down at about 11:00 PM at night. It was a very sketchy walk for a young lady. I wouldn't recommend doing that at night. The hotel isn't in a gorgeous area but you do see the Capital when you're outside. The roads are less traveled. Check-in took a few minutes. I took my card and went to my room. The door wouldn't open. I called the front desk. The front desk lady came up in about 5 minutes with two new key cards. She couldn't get it to open. She had me sit in the waiting area. In about 10 minutes a man came up with a electronic device. He managed to get the keys working but to open the door you had to slam it. This ended up being the theme of my stay. I requested two special pillows from the pillow menu which took about 30 minutes for housekeeping to bring up. I went to bed soon after and slept well for the little sleep I got.

I sleep soundly and my wakeup call was timely. My breakfast was delivered promptly and tasted fine. The in-room dining is expensive, but that's to be expected.

Coming back from class today I opened my door by slamming my shoulder into it. Not the most appealing way to open a door. I could tell the maids cleaned because the room was put back together prim and proper. The rooms are very spacey, clean and modern... from the bed to the desk to the bathroom.

I used the recreation center which is a small gym. There are towels on the equipment and TVs attached to some of the aerobic equipment. There are a few weight machines but the total area is probably about 250 sq. ft. There were three other people in there and I could smell someone's odor so it's not super ventilated and heats up easily. An attendant came up while I was there so it probably gets cleaned frequently.

Afterwards I went back to my room to clean off and do work. The shower is nice and heats up quickly. You're even provided with a nice robe. The shampoo/condition/bath gel are in big bottles. The lotion is in a small bottle above the toilet. The bathroom isn't that big but it's fine for what it's needed for.

I ordered in-room dining service which is pretty good and quickly delivered. The attendant was friendly and nice. The food quality is about 3.5 stars.

I've been working in here the remainder of the evening. At about 10:00 PM I heard a lot of door slamming, constantly. I thought someone was having issues because it was very annoying. I looked outside and saw a maid cart. I heard the sounds for a half hour more then called the front desk. They said it isn't the maid. I said the maid cart is there. He said the maid wouldn't slam doors now. I said the maid is the only one out there. He argued with me more and I gave up and hung up. I wasn't lying about the maid. Not exactly top notch treatment. This being said the room is usually quiet where I am once the maid issue is resolved. The doors in this hotel are very heavy and do make noise in general.

Some of the front desk staff are definitely nicer than others. The guest services Tamara was great. The man from last nice was not so great.

For checkout the invoice didn't reflect a dining credit I was told about and even confirmed last night with the man who said I'm a liar. I called guest services. After being put on hold for 5 minutes I was hung up on. I called back. A new lady spoke with me. She told me I have the credit but only a manager can push it through so that's why it wasn't on my invoice. I told her about the man from guest services last night and she told me to make it up to me, she'd clear my balance for dining. I asked for a new receipt and one was sent up in five minutes.

Overall there are some hiccups with this place, but it is a comfortable stay with fashionable decor. I'd consider coming back again but might try another option based on the hiccups. I was here from a deal website; not sure I'd drop full price for this type of adventure.

Room Tip: If you stay here get a room high up, away from the elevator and ice machine (centrally located), pre...