“Great food, off-putting service” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Napolean Bistro & Lounge

Napolean Bistro & Lounge
1847 Columbia Road NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Adams Morgan)
202-299-9630
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Brunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Chicago, Illinois
“Great food, off-putting service”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

The waiter spent a little too much time hovering by our table waiting for a drink order that never came, and his comments on our eating choices/habits were a little ... much. ("Wow, that was fast!" ... and not in a good way.) But the food was excellent.

Visited August 2012

maryland
“Loud but Great food and Ambiance!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

I went here to celebrate my friends birthday this past Saturday on 6/23/12, we got Valet because there is always little parking available in Adams Morgan. The food was delicious I got the asparagus risotto and mussels they were small plates and together only cost me $19 bucks! The other entrees that were ordered at our table were the fried calamari, ravioli, Kobe burgers and fries, chicken piccata, and seafood pasta! Everything looked smelled and what I tasted was GREAT! It was loud due to a pretty rowdy party of ladies celebrating close by to us also it was a little tight as far as the seating. The one CON that I would have about the food is that the portions could have been slightly larger but I was full after my meal and I had a small about of left overs so maybe I'm just use to HUGE cheesecake factory style portions.

Overall great food Great time!

• Visited June 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
brunswick, maine
“there are thousands of them, but this is one of the more charming”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2012

we were looking for a fun lunch, and Napoleon delivered. Our server, Natalie, was perfectly charming and friendly, and the outdoor ambience was perfect. The food was light and fresh, as we desired. Some of the other restaurants seemed a little overwhelmed, but not this one. We enjoyed it. As a fun aside, the manager that day was a clothes-ie, if there is such a thing for clothes like there is a foodie for food. I think he said he had dozens of suits and shirts and shoes, etc. Needless to say, he was perfectly fitted out, like a male model had strayed from a fashion runway, in themed shirt and braces, and it gave an added little filip of fun to the place. So many managers can look like they slept in their clothes. Not here.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
florida
“Surprisingly good food and experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We decided to spend Easter weekend together as a family in DC. One of our daughters is studying up there and had been recommended this restaurant for brunch. It was a great experience. The service was excellent as was good the food. There were brunch specials which one of us ordered and it was delicious. The others ordered from the brunch menu - everyone found the food delicious, and the portions very filling. The speciality coffees were wonderful. There was a nice area to enjoy the meal outdoors but we chose to stay inside which was comfortable. If it was full, I would wonder how crowded it might feel though because the tables are pretty close together. Overall, it was very good and we would surely return and would like to try it in the evening.

• Visited April 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chicago, Illinois
“Thumbs Down on Small Plates”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I have been going to Napolean for several years; it's been a neighborhood favorite. Although the service can be inconsistent and slow, we've kept going because it's got a charming vibe and had a menu that always appealed with a nice mix of salads, entrees, and appetizers.

No more. Obnoxiously, the restaurant has replaced its standard menu with "small plates." The only entrees are now a steak and the mussels. Everything else is served tapas-style.

I admit to being a bit over small plates generally, but it's especially off-putting here because (1) small plates are not a particularly French phenomenon, and (2) it's had the effect of jacking up the cost of eating here -- each person is now ordering 3-4 small plates at inflated prices rather than an entree at a typical price.

Our disappointment was exacerbated on the last visit by totally lousy service. It took forever to get recognized by a server, a long time for drinks to be delivered, etc. Everything tasted good once ordered, at least.

Meh. Go back to being a regular restaurant with regular menu! When I think "neighborhood bistro with a French twist," I don't think small plates.

• Visited March 2012