“Love it!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tryst Coffee House and Bar

Tryst Coffee House and Bar
2453 18th Street NW, Washington DC, DC 20009 (Adams Morgan)
202-232-8800
Neighborhood: Adams Morgan
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Love it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

You can go to Tryst to eat, have some drinks, study or just lounging... is a funny combination!

Tryst is a cozy and cheap coffee where you can enjoy free wifi and have good food and drinks. The desserts are huge and delicious! (the carrot cake is amazing!) and the service is good.
If you're planning to go to study or just to have access to internet, this is a good place for seating on the sofa with your computer and enjoy the great view of the Adams Morgan's people.
You can get there by metro (Woodley park) but you'll have to walk. I recommend taking the bus (bus 42) that will take you less than a block from Tryst.

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

rev123
“Move over Starbucks!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

I love Starbucks. A lot! I love Tryst. More! Tryst is cool..cozy..cheap with killer coffee and amazing food. Bottom Line..GO THERE!!!!

Virginia
“Interesting and eclectic decor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I was introduced to this place by my son when he introduced me to one of his girlfriends. I was so engaged with scoping her out that I didn't really pay attention to the place. So I went back with my husband for Sunday brunch and we got a seat in the back which gave us a view of the entire place. Though I wish we could have gotten one of the tables in the front because they open up part of the front glass wall so diners get a great view of the world going by.

As an entrepreneur, I'm always viewing the world thru the eye of "why didn't I think of that business idea". I couldn't help but think that the furnishings were a great idea, since they were clearly from a local thrift shop (i.e, cheap purchases). The couches and chairs were mismatched, but appeared to be comfortable, and could easily be replaced by another visit to a thrift shop. Note that this is not a complaint, because it actually adds charm and character, and it's nice that it's not like so many other cookie cutter places.

The food is outstanding and they seem to go out of their way to offer fresh and organic foods, which are artistically plated. In fact, every dish served around us looked so good that I wanted to try them all. The server went out of her way to make sure we had a good experience. We had quiche, which was a little dry, but that is a personal taste issue. I like my quiche to be moist, while others may prefer it to be dryer. Also had Belgium waffles and huge cups of coffee, and yes the service can be a little slow, but this is not fast food and people tend to linger, so no one is in a hurry including the servers.

My husband's only complaint was that the music was too loud, which didn't bother me. All in all.... it's a really fun, comfy, relaxed environment. I wouldn't go out of my way to go here, but if you're in the area, and you like kitchy, funky, charming, out-of-the-ordinary places... be sure to drop in.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
San Diego, California
“Fun and Cozy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

This coffeeshop is the perfect place to stop off at for a quick coffee, a bite to eat, or just lounging. They have counter culture coffee which is great, but my go-to is the frozen washington carver. If you're a peanut butter lover, then you'll LOVE the washington carver. It's a blended coffee that has a great peanut butter flavor.

As far as food goes, I've tried their hummus, mediterranean plate, bruschetta, a bunch of their pastries and cookies, and everything is good but not great. I haven't tried their sandwiches but I see lots of people getting them when I'm there, so those might be better. I go for the coffee and stay for people watching. :)

No matter what time of day or night you go, there's bound to be a ton of people. It gets super crowded at night and on weekends, but it's such a cozy place with couches and tables mixed in, that it's no wonder people love it. Everyone from couples on dates to large groups of friends hang out here.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Washington, DC
“Overrated and pretentious”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2012

Sorry folks, but this is a place for being seen as opposed to eating decent food. The breakfast items here are so-so, the service is dismal, and the coffee, despite the pretense, is not as good as what you would get a Dunkin Donuts. This place gets a lot of hipster hype and will always be difficult to get into, but go to Diner if you want real food and much better service.

Visited April 2012