“Great vacation but no fish caught all week.” 5 of 5 stars

Activities: Hiking, Horseback riding, Camping
Crosslake, Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great vacation but no fish caught all week.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013 via mobile

Great campground and park. Beautiful wooded sites with more privacy than most campgrounds. Only depressing things were that water could be a little hotter in showers and shower heads mounted higher so I didn't have to bend down to get my head in water. (And i'm not THAT tall! We fished almost everyday all week and never caught anything but sun but enjoyed ourselves hugely!

Visited June 2013

Minnesota
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great Stay in Camper Cabin #6”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

Stayed in Camper Cabin (CC) #6, this is adjacent to a paved trail and further away from the toilet. The trails are nice but poorly marked. After staying in the Bemidji CC, I was confused since Wild River had no interior trash can. I called the Ranger Station and they had no idea if their was supposed to be one. The cabin lacked basic cleaning and there was cigarette butts on the ground outside. I brought certified firewood from another MN State Park, bought at the Ranger Station, they tell me they will give me a break, but in the future I need to buy it there?? That was the only drama, it is a nice big park with plenty of hiking, access to the St. Croix River and wildlife / nature photography opportunities.

Visited August 2012
Minnesota
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Great weekend camping @ Wild River State Park”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

Just got back from a weekend camping trip to Wild River State Park. We had a great time during our first visit to this park. The first things I noticed were the friendly staff, the quietness throughout the park, and the beautiful and private camp sites.

Each campsite is separated from the next, as they are set inside the wooded areas. This was one of my favorite things about the park. Though I love other parks, such as St. Croix State Park, I sometimes feel there is little privacy, as you look directly into your neighbors campsites, and at night you can look across the campground at everyone's fire, and hear mumbles from their conversations. Not so here. Not only is it quieter, and more private, you truly feel more like you are camping in the woods.

With that said, there are certainly more bugs to deal with. We had to put bug spray on right away in the morning. However, I did not mind at all.

The other thing worth mentioning is the trail system. Though I would love to have more bike trails available, I will not complain. There is a short, couple mile paved trail available to bicyclists, which was nice opposed to nothing. It was a very nice ride, and the trail was fun with some hills as it goes through the woods. This park, however, is more dedicated to hiking trails. After enjoying the bike trail, we decided to check out the hiking. Though we only touched a portion of the extensive hiking available, we had a great time.

The final thing I noticed was how quiet the park was. It was very nice and relaxing, and while you did see people along the trails and near campsites, and the park was at full capacity, it was very quiet and relaxing.

I would definitely recommend this park, and cannot wait to go back!

Rochester, MN
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Pleasant tent camping experience”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2010

My family and I tent camped in site A7 for four days and three nights over Memorial Day weekend 2009. Most of the sites in loops A and B are heavily wooded; the sites close to the access road are generally a bit less wooded. Our site, and most sites, have good spacing and privacy.

The restrooms and showers are fairly well maintained and clean.

We found a nice sandy area next to the river near the Nevers Dam overlook where our four kids spent several hours digging, playing, and splashing in the water.

The visitors center has some nice displays and ranger presentations - our children were fascinated to learn about snakes and watch them feed.

We did the river trail hike, it is a pleasant hike along the river (about 2 miles from the visitors center along the river to the campground).

Overall, a place worth visiting again!

Boston, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Good camping, great facilities”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2009

We tent-camped one night in a drive-in site, in the woody area. We were very close to the bathroom/shower facility, which was clean and gorgeous; we nicknamed it the Hilton. The short hike we did of the park along the river was pretty, and there was a variety of plantlife, although you do have to watch out for poison ivy. This was the last weekend in September, when it was still in the 60s, but late in the year and already evening, and so there were no spots available at Interstate State Park MN, but there were plenty of open sites here. We were told it was a lot more secluded, and it was very quiet out there. Great experience!