“If you want to really get away” 5 of 5 stars

MN
518-885-9964
Improve this listing
Ranked #14 of 740 Attractions in Minnesota
Type: Forests, National Parks, Nature/ Wildlife Areas, Bodies of Water, Outdoors
Activities: Canoeing, Kayaking
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the Superior National Forest, this vast area is about one million acres in size and is comprised of hundreds of lakes and over a thousand canoe passages.
Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
24 attraction reviews
“If you want to really get away”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

The Boundary Waters has to be one of the most beautiful places in the US. True unspoiled land that goes on forever. Don't expect amenities unless you bring them yourself, and you probably won't get cell service let alone wi-fi. Be prepared to unplug and get in touch with mother nature. If you go once I can guarantee you'll go again.

Visited October 2012

St. Paul
6 attraction reviews
“A Truly Excellent Wilderness Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2013

We went to the BWCA with seven other friends and had a truly excellent wilderness experience.
We put in at Fall Lake and paddled all the way up to Basswood Lake where we spent the rest of our time fishing. We camped on an island in Basswood Lake. It was simply the best time I have had in the wilderness.
I do not fish but the guys in our party who fish said the fishing was not very good.
They caught small mouth bass, walleye and northern pike - all medium sized - as I understand it.

I didn't care because we had enough food, plus the scenery, natural life (eagles, loons, etc) were just breathtaking when it wasn't raining. The rain came in spurts so we had sunshine in between bouts of rain.

I am a novice at this so all I can say is give it a try if you even think you'd like the outdoors.
Don't go as far as we did. Make it a day trip. You'll like it.

Visited August 2013
Stillwater, Minnesota
23 attraction reviews
“The Very Best Place for Wilderness Canoeing”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013

Boundary Waters Canoe Area is the best place for wilderness adventure with a canoe. I have been taking trips to the BWCAW since 1970 and absolutely love it. You can adjust your trips to your interests and capabilities. I am in my late 60's and still go up about twice a year. The number of people on my trips vary from 2 to 9 (the maximum allowed by the US Forest service in a campsite). It is important to know what you are doing, so I suggest you go with someone who is experienced until you are comfortable with planning trips and navigating. Portages (paths that connect lakes where you need to carry your canoes and gear) can be difficult to find and crossing big lakes can be life threatening ... so experience is essential to a good trip. Good gear helps to keep a trip from becoming miserable. I guided a 8 person trip (ages 7 to 72) into Rose Lake last month; it rained every day - but we stayed dry because of a good tarp and the right tents. Some people go to the BWCA for fishing, others for solitude. I suggest that the best reason to go is to unwind and enjoy life and nature without the crush of civilization. People of all ages can enjoy a Boundary Waters canoe trip if planned correctly and executed with care.

Visited July 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“BWCA For Life”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I went to the BWCA with friends and I had the best time of my life there. It is so beautiful there and I am already planning a return trip. We went for 7 days and it rained on every one of those days but it was still the coolest experience I've ever had. I recommend a 6-7 day trip so you have time to see a lot. We went about 35 miles which isn't the farthest but I still thought we saw a lot. There is just this sense of overwhelming quiet and isolation and that is just the coolest thing. Everyone on the planet should go to the boundary waters at least once.

Visited July 2013
Fort Dodge, Iowa
3 attraction reviews
“Jordan's Canoe Outfitters”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2013

Put this on your bucket list for sure.....Absolutely an incredible vacation. Jordan's really helps you put together an experience of a lifetime. I am 62 and my wife and 17 year old rented a tevlar Souris River 18 1/2Ft 3-man canoe and we had an awesome time. We had never done any real camping or canoeing before but their advise, maps, and recommendations, they truly put a package together for us that we forever remember. We caught lots of fish and had a campsite on an island all by ourselves with an incredible view. I contacted about a dozen outfillters before booking with Jordan's. Prices may all be pretty much about the same but it is quality service that really counts. Can't wait to do it again.

Visited June 2013