“Great outfitting company” 5 of 5 stars

518-885-9964
Improve this listing
Activities: Canoeing, Kayaking
More attraction details
Owner description: Part of the Superior National Forest, this vast area is about one million acres in size and is comprised of hundreds of lakes and over a thousand canoe passages.
Saint Paul, Minnesota
“Great outfitting company”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2011

This was my first trip to the BWCAW and I could not have had a better introduction. The area is stunningly beautiful. It is wonderful that it is protected under the Wilderness Act. We owe much of our great first time experience to the outfitters who set us up, Voyagers Canoe Outfitters on the Gunflint Trail. We had everything we needed the equipment was top quality; we had ample food; and most importantly, the staff were extremely helpful, friendly and professional. I would definitely use them again and have recommended them to my friends.

Visited June 2011

Taos, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
“Wilderness Adventure with Boundary Waters Guide Service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2009

Get away from it all; soak in the magnificence of star-filled, full-moon nights; relax while swimming in the cool lake waters; enjoy fresh northern pike and walleye bakes; skim across the evening waters with only the quiet drops of water falling from your oars. We spent 6 nights out in the boundary waters canoeing and camping with the Boundary Waters Guide Service and had the time of our lives. Jason Zabokrtsky (whom we met while dog sledding last winter) was fantastic. If you don't camp often and/or if you're traveling from other parts for the experience, it is nice to have a service that will provide for all your needs (from camping gear, to canoes, food, etc). Jason does a great job of "interviewing" the folks he is traveling with and understanding what their goal is. Then, he is great about focusing on how to achieve that goal. I was NOT interested in a totally rustic experience so Jason surprised us with little extras: air matresses, espresso for breakfast and wonderful (foodie) lunches and dinners. While he is probably more inclined toward the genuine boundary waters experience (the stinky fisherman/camper adventure, as I like to call it), he is good about finding out what his clients want and what they are looking for. We had the best weather one could ask for in late August (2009) and I'm sure he can't guarantee that, but if you're interested in having the wilderness experience of your life, check them out: http://www.boundarywatersguideservice.com/.

Oak Park, Illinois
“Getting off the grid”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2007

We took a seven day canoe trip arranged by Voyageur North Outfitters out of Ely, MN last week and it was amazing. Despite rain and aching muscles, I can easily say that this was a trip worth taking and if I can find time, I'll do it again.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Wilderness lover's paradise”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2004

Anyone with an interest in camping, canoeing, fishing, hiking, bird-watching, frog-catching, or just getting away from it all should make the BWCAW a top priority on their trip wish list.
This was our first trip to the BWCAW, and my wife and I agree that it's just one of many to come. Relatively novice canoers with moderate camping experience, we chose an easy route, and found it personally challenging and immensely rewarding.
The BWCAW requires some preparation, and access to equipment such as stoves, canoes, duluth packs. Luckily there are oodles of outfitters up there willing to rent you the equipment if you are uncertain that you will use it again. Our outfitter was Rockwood Lodge out of Grand Marais, and they were great to work with, supplying us with everything we needed and transporting us to the entry point and back. They even helped with route-planning, input that is vital to having a successful trip.
If you don't mind mosquitos, the chance of rain, or cooking your curried quinoa over a single burner white gas stove in exchange for some of the most unspoiled wilderness this side of Alaska, book now. The only down-side is the growing popularity -- to avoid competition for the more popular campsites, it may be more satisfying to get a permit on a less popular entry point.
Next time, we're going in someplace less travelled -- where, we're not telling.

A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Memory”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2002

If you have never been, go ! I have been going to this area for over 20 years. You have to experience the quaint little town of Grand Marais. If you stop in this little town go to the Gunflint Tavern. This a a favorite gathering place of those visiting and locals.
If it is your first time in the Boundary Waters area you may want to consider taking someone that has been on the waters or a local guide. The Boundary Waters are full of islands and one wrong turn and you can get lost. I guess that is not such a bad thing when you are trying to escape the fast pace of life. Thats what you get, a chance to sit back on an island rock and take in the sites and sounds. The fishing is outstanding. Small mouth bass are plentifull. The boundary waters area has many restrictions on motors [some areas its not allowed]as well as the number of people in the area at a given time. Therefore you will need to contact the park rangers office and make a reservation.
As a child this was one of if not the most memorable vacations we ever took. I suppose that is why my brother and I return year after year.
August is a good time to go as well as the fall. If you go in June or July you may experience the pesky black fly. Lets put it this way. I would rather deal with a 100 mosquitos than 20 black flies. The drive along Lake Superior from Duluth is rated as one of the 10 most scenic drives in the United States.
This is a must trip sometime in your life.
Enjoy !