“Quabbin Reservoir” 5 of 5 stars

Springfield, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Quabbin Reservoir”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

Such a beautiful place to drive to and visit.....get exercise if you want, many sights to see from the car if you can't. So much history, 75 years ago the four Massachusetts towns in the Swift River Valley were forced to simply move on so the reservoir could be built for the "mighty thirst of Boston." peaceful, nostalgic, full of nature and spirit ~ not to be missed. There is a visitors center full of pictures and historical artifacts, information. T shirts, coffee cups, post cards, pictures for sale.

Visited May 2013

Hatfield, Massachusetts
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“enchanting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

Have lived here for too long and embarassed that I had not been. We hiked, had a picnic and took in the incredible views. Read the history at the Visitors center and was impressed by the incredible stories....we Will go back with bikes and also want to see it in all four seasons....just amazing.

Visited July 2013
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Beautiful piece of history.... A must see!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

We were in the area for a family function & members of the family that lived there took us to see this beautiful piece of history. We couldn't believe that 4 cities were buried under ALL of that water. So much to see and many hiking trails and picnic areas. There were many, many photography experiences along the way. You can fish and rent boats as well! Just get there EXTRA early if you plan on renting one...

If you are in the area it is definitely worth the trip over to the Quabbin!

Visited June 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Fishing in June”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

Came here on a Sunday in June 2013. I called the visitor center (413) 323-7221 the day before and asked what's the best time to arrive to rent a motorboat. The person says that if I'm there between 6:30 and 7:15, I should get a boat. I arrived at "Gate 43" at 6:45, and they were already out of rental motorboats. They said the other 2 rental docks are also rented out of boats. The dock guy laughs and says I needed to be in line at 6am for a rental motorboats. Why didn't I get this guy on the phone yesterday?

RENTAL BOAT take-away: Get there at 6:00AM, or you will not get a motorboat rental!

Our alternative was to get a row boat for $20/day. Assuming all visitors are not boat experts, it would have been nice for Quabbin staff to tell us to ensure the drain plug was plugged into the boat. I found out later from an expert fisherman that Installing the drain plug is usually #1 on any boating checklist. We didn't know, so haha, we push off and there's water flooding into the boat. I head to the boat house, ask the staff about it, they tell me to put in the drain plug. Thanks for the advance notice guys.
The row boats are essentially the aluminum motorboats without the motor. The boat has 3 metal rows to sit on. The oars are very old, and make the rowing a back-breaking job. We saw some pickerel and other fish, but didn't catch anything. The temp was very hot so that certainly played a factor. The views are gorgeous and breathtaking! Overall, try to avoid some of our mistakes. Based on our experience this weekend, some of the staff here are extremely unhelpful. Other than that, I'd come here again for fishing (only if I could get a motorboat.)

Visited June 2013
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts, United States
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“Pretty peaceful.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

There's a giant trail, fishing spots (we were pressed for time, so sadly, didn't get to try), meadow, forest, wildlife, hiking, boating... Had fun chasing the turkeys!
The rangers could work on their attitude though. We went the wrong way (our driver has no sense of direction, we always end up lost with her), and they were so unpleasant about it, barking it up, while not being helpful at all, sheesh.
Other than that, that place is really nice, with a wide variety of activities for kids, adults, and seniors alike!

Visited May 2013