“Like the Ocean” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Bodies of Water
Activities: Scuba diving, Biking
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Chicago sits on the shore of this Great Lake.
Phoenix, Arizona
8 attraction reviews
“Like the Ocean”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2013

If you've never seen a Great Lake, you should make it a point to see one. Lake Michigan isn't the largest Great Lake but it seemed oceanic. It goes on forever. We took a cruise that afforded a great view of the Chicago Skyline. At sunrise the lake blends with the sky and you can't tell where the horizon is. Being from Arizona, we don't have water like this anywhere in the state, and I am jealous. As much as I love the desert, I could sit and stare at this huge body of water for hours at a time. My only regret is that we weren't able to visit a beach and go swimming in the lake. Maybe next time we take a trip to the beach we will choose the Great Lakes instead of the California coast.

Visited July 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
3 attraction reviews
“I was "wowed"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

I love a trip where I can be "wowed". "That's amazing" kinda feeling. Thank God, I have seen places that have the "wow" factor. That what it felt like when I saw Lake Michigan. I had never seen such a huge lake in my life. It was more like an ocean. So grateful to see God's amazing creation.

Chicago, Illinois
124 attraction reviews
“No other city has Lake Michigan”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We live on Chicago's Near North Side, overlooking Lincoln Park and North Avenue Beach, so we feel qualified to brag about one of our city's greatest assets, Lake Michigan. No other city has it. Drive along Lake Shore Drive from north suburban Evanston to Northwest Indiana and you get a view of most of Chicago's tourist treasures with a beautiful view to boot. In the summer, the beaches--from Montrose to North to Oak to Rainbow--are filled with Chicagoans. From Navy Pier or along the Chicago River near Michigan Avenue, you can charter sightseeing boats that will give you views of the city from the river and the lake. It is a wondrous sight that only gets bigger and bigger in August during the Air & Water Show when as many as one million people come to North Avenue Beach for the two-day spectacular. It is a happening and it happens only in Chicago because it is the only town that has Lake Michigan.

Springfield, Illinois
16 attraction reviews
“Cant help the weather”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

started off over cast so the company that rents chairs wasn't there. Parking was a pain. The guy passing out parking flyers said one price but had to pay a different. The manager of the lot was an donkey. Overall though it was a clean beach and wasn't too crowded.

Vadodara, India
9 attraction reviews
“The Garland lake”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2013

The skyline is stunningly beautiful.The beach with skylark birds adds to its beauty. The water is so blue and clean that boating is a pleasure