“chip seal disaster” 2 of 5 stars

CO
Improve this listing
Activities: Driving
More attraction details
Owner description: A six mile section of the San Juan Skyway with incredible views.
Grand Lake, Colorado
“chip seal disaster”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

Rode the Ouray to Durango and back on June 11,2013 and they had started at Ouray doing a really bad job of chip seal. The switch backs were covered in loose rock which makes for slow going on a motorcycle but when I returned they had started on the north bound lane and there was a hail of gravel coming off the dump trucks flying by while you were in a string of cars following the follow me truck, I imagine it will only get worse as they cover more miles. Scheduled dates posted were 6-13-2013 to 7-13-2013. The road is great except where they are improving it.

Visited June 2013

Scarborough
54 attraction reviews
“Everything I'd hoped for”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

I'd read about this stretch of road before my trip to the USA and made sure I worked it into my route. My brother and I drove from Montrose, CO via this road heading for Mancos, CO. We passed through Ouray and Silverton. Though we didn't do any hiking, we did stop plenty of times for photos, in late September the foliage was turning and colours were exploding everywhere. The bright leaves against the snow capped peaks in the distance made for quite a sight. This area also has loads of old mining ruins and buildings dotted around the landscape which make for great photos. Around Ouray the skies were bright blue with gorgeous sunshine and white fluffy clouds, upon reaching the summit of the road it was very misty and snowing, so be prepared for rapid weather and temperature changes. This road had some of the best scenery I've ever seen. I'd recommend making sure you're not in a rush when driving this road, missing out on the scenery would be a real shame.

Visited September 2012
19 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking scenery!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

My Husband and I took a trip on the Harley over Memorial Weekend to ride the "million dollar highway" and we were not disappointed. Known best for tight turns, lack of guard rails, steep drops, and beautiful scenery. Make sure to stop off at some of the lookout points along the way too, one stop actually has a pretty large waterfall under the railing on the side of the road and you cannot see it unless you stop. We were on a motorcycle but I would use caution regardless of what you're driving. One slip off this road will definitely be a bad day! And be sure to follow the signs stating the recommended speed around some of those sharp turns. This was voted one of the top ten motorcycle rides in HOG Magazine so if you're traveling on a motorcycle be sure to check the weather! Heading up at 8am was really cold even with our leathers chaps & jackets on. In the end, you will not regret it!

Visited May 2013
“Beautiful scenery, but no amenities in mid-May”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013 via mobile

Fabulous views and abundant hiking options but in mid May the trail head bathrooms were all closed and many of the high hikes were still pretty snowy, so you will need gaiters or plan on wet feet like we had. Worth it though! Andrews lake was beautiful as was the gorgeous scenery around Delores Valley.

Visited May 2013
Austin, Texas
9 attraction reviews
“Stunning Scenery”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

I love this drive and have made it several times. It is more enjoyable if you stop and explore along the way. The picture was taken on our stop at Molas Pass on between Durango and Silverton. We also like to stop at Andrews lake.

Visited July 2012