“up date from lovehiking 12” 5 of 5 stars

30 miles west of Page AZ, AZ
Improve this listing
Rifle, Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“up date from lovehiking 12”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2013

My wife and I were 2 of the 58 that showed up at the Kanab Utah BLM office at 8:30 for the 9:00 drawing (be on time they close the door at 9:00 sharp). Each group of hikers up to a total of 6 are allowed to fill out one permit and each permit is assigned a number. They then put all the numbers assigned to a permit in a wheel and randomly draw out the numbers. Each permit is filled until a total of ten people are selected. Our number was drawn 2nd. There were 8 people selected when the last permit number was drawn. That permit was for 3 people. They were given the choice to reduce their number to 2 or let them draw a new number to allow a total of 10 only. The other 48 people in the room left with no permit.We were 2 of the 10 that were given great directions, a map and many helpful tips The $7.00 per person permit is actualy for the following day. We had considered renting a 4 wheel drive for the next day but after talking to the ranger he assured us that our Toyota Pris would make it the 8.4 miles down the washboard dirt road. We took our time and he was right. We would not want to try the road on a wet and rainy day. Following the map is easy if you pay attention and the 6.4 mile round trip is well worth the effort. The wave is all it is made out to be and we look forward to returning and trying the lottery again.

Visited November 2013

Mequon, Wisconsin
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“How to hike the wave!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2013

Recently my sister and I were among the 20 people who were lucky to receive a permit to hike the Wave just across the Utah border into Arizona! We obtained our permit online, where only 10 spots are chosen, the other 10 spots are chosen at the BLM station in kanab, Utah...where numerous people show up hoping their name is called to obtain the much coveted permit!
We rented a jeep and headed out to the BLM station just east of house rock valley road, the day before our hike, to talk with rangers about the hike...and we were so glad we did. We received an updated version of the photographic pamphlet showing landmarks to watch when hiking, plus we found out the road conditions, etc... So the next day, we left Kanab at 8:00 a.m. Headed east for about an hour to House rock Valley road, and with our jeep, headed the 8 miles south over a dirt, washboard road, with beautiful vistas of the Utah territory....Soon we came to the parking lot, put our parking permit in the window, logged in, and started hiking up the wash to the trailhead. About 15 minutes down the wash, the Wave trailhead veers to the right, and soon we were heading up a rocky trail that left us just a bit winded.....glancing at our pictured guide from the rangers, we could spot the second landmark, and headed in that direction....at this point the trail is easy to follow, walking through Sandy stretches with lots of footprints.....we soon approached the Saddle, where we ascended a bit over a craggy, stony area....reaching the top of the saddle was easy, then we looked down and saw a small arrow pointing south! A big thank you to the rangers for telling us to look for that! We began to hike south, and stopped to turnaround and remember landmarks that would lead us back to this spot! We also took pictures with our iPhones to document this return point, as this was an area where many get lost! Now heading south, we could see the twin buttes that we must pass on the right. Now we are hiking on slick rock, no path, just following the landmarks! It was a beautiful, cool day, and yet we were thankful to have plenty of water in this very dry area!
Passing the twin buttes, we suddenly could spot, the large black crack in the distance, this crack in a rock formation is right above the wave! Heading straight for the crack, our steps quicken,knowing we are halfway there! Crossing a Sandy wash, now we are heading upwards over craggy walls and rocks, not difficult at all! Suddenly you reach the entrance to the wave and you stand in awe at the waving sandstone walls! just beautiful! There is a peaceful calm , walking among the beautiful striated colors, feeling a gentle breeze, talking with the other lucky hikers with permits, soaking in this awesome wonder! It took us two hours to reach the Wave....we ate our lunch and lingered for an hour and a half....after taking hundreds of photos, we absorbed one last look, and headed out into the beautiful landscape... We felt confident heading back, watching for landmarks, find out our way to the saddle, from there we took a left, heading west to the wash....We took a right down the wash to wire pass, a great slot canyon that leads to Bucksin gulch, the longest slot canyon in North America! Upon reaching the first 6 foot blockage in the pass, we decided to turn around.....Two years ago I tore my ACL at this very spot, trying to head out of Wire Pass, and I didn't want to chance that again!
Hiking the Wave was an experience I will never forget! The hike is easy, but always bring plenty of food and water! We brought a gps Garmin with us, but the rangers say they are not always reliable due to the minerals in the rock it is more fun to watch land formations,
Good luck! And do not attempt to hike the wave without a permit! There is a big fine for that!
Enjoy!

Visited November 2013
SC
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Once in a lifetime trip”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2013

I applied and won a permit to hike The Wave during the first week of October. Little did I know that the government shutdown would occur to disrupt my husband's and my two-week trip to Utah. Because I considered my chance to hike The Wave a once in a lifetime opportunity, my husband and I did not cancel our vacation plans. My internet research led me to believe that BLM areas were still accessible to hikers. I never received an official notice not to proceed with the hike. On my scheduled day to hike The Wave, my husband and I drove to the Wirepass trailhead early in the morning. There were quite a few people there, camping and hanging out. Someone told me that the ranger would soon be coming to the trailhead. When I took out my pink permit and attached it to my backpack, people jumped out of their cars and lined up behind me and my husband. I had the directions, and they did not! Some of these people were from China, Germany, and, of course, the US. I'm not sure if this is a regular occurrence or if people thought they could take advantage of the shutdown.

The hike to The Wave went well. The weather was perfect, the directions were easy to follow, and we made great time getting there. (My husband and I would have like to do the hike and visit by ourselves, but we had our entourage.) Everyone was overwhelmed with the beauty . I noticed that everyone spoke in a hushed voice as if this were a place of reverence. My husband and I took hundreds of pictures. I really don't feel that the pictures we took captured how fabulous this place is. The colors and light are so intense, and we are amateur photographers.

In total, my husband and I spent about 7 hours in the area around The Wave. On the way back to Wirepass, we did not followed the same route back. Evidently, the ranger was ticketing people coming back from The Wave on the regular route.

My thoughts on the hike: It was a wonderful experience. Don't do it in the summer months. I can easily see how people would be overcome with heat and fatigue in hot weather. Carry the recommended amount of water. Do internet research before the hike so you will know what to expect.

Another comment: There has been recent controversy about why the BLM limits the number of people to visit each day. The recent incident in Goblin State Park in Utah shows how some people treat beautiful and unique places. In The Wave, I found trash, water bottles, (even a man's jockey shorts!). Some areas have to be protected.

Visited October 2013
Commack, New York
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Great experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We stayed in Kanab for 4 nights. Every morning we have tried to get the lottery permit to hike for the next day. After one day we won the lottery for the second best hike called Cyottes Butes South. Its a smaller version of the wave. Its 8 miles off the road plus an other 12 miles even on the rougher sandier terrain. We rented a 4x4 Jeep Compass. It was an adventure getting there.
However, the hike itself was not bad. It was easier than the wave. It was just as beautiful and it took us only total 2 hour hiking. You can't get lost. If you don't want to hike for 6 hours and if you don't get the Wave lottery, try this hike. They do lottery every morning at 10 AM. Its not as popular yet and therefore it's not that crowded. After this hike we were not sorry that we never won the lottery for the Wave.

Visited September 2013
San Luis Obispo, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Read this. Important new situation.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

I've been to the Wave. Twice. There is plenty of advice about it in myriad places such as nine miles off-road (SOMEtimes very rough depending on the monsoons), strenuous unmarked hike (four people died this summer alone), almost impossible lottery to get a permit (roughly one-in-twelve odds) etc. BUT, now there is a new circumstance. Law enforcement. There is a full-time BLM Peace Officer/Ranger watching over this rock star that BLM now has on its hands. With entre into this stunning place so difficult, some people are "sneaking in". In a word, DON'T. The Ranger is nearby and waits until you are almost there before confronting you THEN SENDING YOU BACK!. Long way to go, huge citation, big hassle all for naught. Got to play by the rules on this one. Also, I personally would add, don't use your hiking poles on the Wave. I am appalled to see people using them on the fragile sandstone Liesegang bands of this astounding place. I even take my shoes off to walk around on it. Best odds, go in winter. Clear air, increased lottery chances, much fewer visitors, little chance of dying from heatstroke.

Visited March 2013

Been to The Wave? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Wave, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.