“Awesome view” 5 of 5 stars

Tempe
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Awesome view”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We went in December. It was actually not that cold. Just good for the hike. It is a wildness area, so please be prepared for the trip.

Visited December 2012

San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“One of the most stunning photography sites I've seen!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Visited the Wave a while back with my girlfriend. She's a photographer and it has been one of her goals to take pictures there. It was decent drive from San Diego and we stopped to stay the night in Kanaab, UT. Not much in that town, but it was close to where we wanted to be. The Wave entailed a 10 mile drive down a dirt road to get to the hike. This hike doesn't have any marked trails so it is important to do your research and find the markers needed to stay on course. Be careful not to get lost in the summer. Each year a few people get lost and die in the desert heat. One there, it is an amazing land formation. It's almost fake looking it because it is so unlike any rock formation I've seen. It is a 10 mile hike so make sure you bring adequate supplies. Great pictures, good time, and highly recommended.

Visited February 2013
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“The Wave, God's beautiful art work”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

This place is just amazing, that is why I think of it as one of God's beautiful art work. The last week of May 2013, we went to Zion National Park and Bryce Canyon, Utah. These are beautiful places to see and hike, but our main reason for the trip is "The Wave". We went to BLM office in the city of Kanab, Utah for the lottery the only way to go to the wave (aside from the other lottery through the internet). We have to be there between 8:30 to 9:00 am. to participate in that lottery, by 9:00 am the door is closed, so be there on time. Only 10 people selected on a daily basis to go the next day. When we were there 106 people from around the world showed up, 96 people were disappointed that day. We were lucky that day to won the lottery. The ranger did an excellent job to explain the dos and the don'ts. Be prepared for the weather condition, hiking gear, and most important a galon of water per person, I should say this is a must! After 30 minutes driving on dirt road you reach parking area the starting point of the hike, try to be there as early as sunrise. We were there around 7:00 am. very comfortable 70F degrees, on the way back in the afternoon it was 90F+ degrees. We just follow direction given by the ranger and observation along the way. There is no marking along the way, so "observation" of the scenery is very important! On the way back, a german guy ahead of us was going the wrong direction that I have to shout out loud to call him back. He was lucky we saw him. Don't ever get lost, you could get hurt or even die. The hike itself not too hard about 2 hours one way, we encounter beautiful scenery along the way, but when we got there..WOW!!! the most amazing natural God's art work presented before us. It is just like the beautiful photos we saw in the internet. Take a lot of pictures stay there awhile and please try your very best not to break anything. It's so.. beautiful that we plan to go there one more time in September, IF WE ARE LUCKY!!!!

Visited May 2013
San Francisco, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 99 helpful votes
“One of the most amazing journeys ever for me!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

It took me 18 months to get a permit. I have hiked all over the world. Short and Long hikes. I am not going to mince words here. The payoff was amazing, but you have to be prepared if you get the permit for the Summer.

I hiked it on July 30th. After the initial 8 mile drive in on the dirt road I parked and got to the trailhead at 7:30am. It was 96 degrees. The hike in thru wash, over the sandstone, and then up thru the fine powder like sand wouldn't be very difficult in normal weather. That said, on the way back the temperature gauge I had read 107. It was brutal. I went thru an entire bladder. You really have to be prepared, I am serious. You need to make sure you are beyond hydrated going in if you enter in the heat of the Summer months. The beauty and payoff are just amazing. I really lucked out and saw NOT A SOUL on the day I entered.

If you are an adventurer/outdoorsperson this should be #1 on your list. It literally brought me to tears after waiting so long and finally getting there.

I don't feel the need to lay out the details of the hike. This is one of those you just have to do yourself. There is nothing there to help you though if you get in trouble. You need to be prepared. Don't play around here if you are going in the extreme heat-consequences can be dire.

Visited July 2013
Succasunna, New Jersey
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“SAD”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2013

Its a beautiful place to see but there are only 20 people a day that can get in and 10 of those have to be in a line for a lottery drawing which can be a100 people in line and you can go there in the morning and not make it in .if you get your ticket today you have to go today .there are people you can pay to stand in line for you at 35 dollars a person to try the lottery for you but that's a gamble too and your already in the whole for two people at 70 dollars .it's sad but they don't want many people in because they would destroy it in no time

Visited September 2012

Been to The Wave? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage The Wave, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.