“El Bosque was clean and very descent!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Villa Islazul El Bosque

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Villa Islazul El Bosque
You added Villa Islazul El Bosque to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave. Jorge Dimitrov esq. a 9na. | Reparto Pedro Díaz Coello, Holguin, Cuba   |
Ranked #9 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Miami, Florida
“El Bosque was clean and very descent!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2012

This hotel was clean and maintenance of the grouds was impeccable! Anything you ordered was including with breakfast. The customer service at the restaraunt was good as well. The only down side were the stiff beds and the fact that you could only take a hot shower during the day since the water is heated by solar power.I would stay here again!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I've stayed here several times to accomodate flight times and although I hesitate to write negative reviews ( as long as the bed is clean and the beer cold- it is Cuba, afterall), there are some issues that need addressing. The only beer available: Buccanero. No mint for Mohitos.( I had to supply some lime juice in a bottle I had previously purchased.) Oh well. But the absence of lighting, especially at stairs, should be addressed for safety issues. A mounted shower head instead of a hand held would be helpfull. The air conditioner pumped out tepid air...no real problem as it wasn't extremely hot. An a la carte breakfast of eggs and toast took 20 minutes and I had to mop off the grease from the egg, while the butter smelled a little off. Upon arrival, and checking the windows, one was unlocked. I observed a group of middle aged to elderly guests struggling with their luggage with no help offered.
(As a repeat customer, I was met with a Cuba Libre and assistance offered with my bags.) There are a couple of new staff members that were as surly as I have seen, although the rest were friendly and the manager Odalis extremely helpfull and accomodating. And at a one-night cost of 40 CUC, compared to 25 for a Casa, .....well...the decision is yours. I stay there because it is close to the ball diamond, and a friends house, but otherwise..........

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011 via mobile

Good place to stay if you want a cheap hotel in Holguin. No telephones in room (unit does not work) no currency exchange, breakfast at restaurant is included but sucks.

Feels like a hostel!!

• Stayed November 2011
Sarnia, Ontario, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2011

I guess it all depends on one's tastes and expectations, and what one expects for $20 CUC's for one night. I stay at El Bosque for one night sleep-overs when I have an early departure/late arrival. $10 dollars for a taxi to the airport (takes about 20 minutes) and $3 to central Holguin. (Inexpensive by industrialized standars) Don't like the cost? Take a gua gua (Cuban transportation) for all of you who want to see the "Real Cuba". Then you won't complain as much. Staff has always been friendly (especially the manager Odalys who goes out of her way). Sure, rooms are very basic, sure the faucet may drip, sure accomodations may be dated. The sheets are clean and the shower water warm. Breakfast was basic...bread, coffee and an omellet. But for $20 dollars, what does one expect? Lobster and caviar? You can intermingle with Cubans celebrating a birthday by the pool side and the beer is cold and the coffee strong.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
oxford, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2010

Hotel El Bosque is out of town, a ten min walk/1km from the Pernik. Pleasant setting in quiet leafy grounds. We stayed two nights prior to getting our plane home. Pool and kiddy pool were clean and pleasant when we went. Rooms clean. Our shower room was new and clean, my mother's next door needed redecorating, and she ended up using our (good) shower. Hers was cold and once it was on none of us could turn it off. We reported it to the receptionist, but an hour later, with the shower still gushing, we asked a maid who brought in the swimming pool attendant, who managed it. Food: There was one restaurant, and despite what it said on the menu, the only food was chicken steak, pork steak or spaghetti. We had the meat, and it arrived with half a handful of burned soggy fries. Worst food we had in cuba (and that's saying something). At lunch the next day at the swimming pool bar the fries were the same, so it wasn't a one-off error. The only lunch available (as in most cuban cafes) was ham/cheese sandwich and fries. Breakfast was ok, apart from the fly in the sugary fruit juice - the usual bread, fruit, ham, cheese, eggs and omlettes made to order. We went to the Pernik the following night for dinner and that was also bad.. but different. I will do another review for that. Frankly, we find better food and friendlier service at private houses (casa particulare) than we have in cuban hotels, and cheaper too. In this case you could probably find one more central too. Stay there, taxi to a hotel for the day to use their pool. It's what we did in santiago. And there might be more and better restaurants in the town centre. Maybe.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2010

We stayed 3 nights at this hotel in a chalet and agree with pretty much everything that has been said in previous reviews.

The staff were pretty indifferent to customers. There wasno remote control as it was reportedly stolen by a previous customer. We were only told this on the 2nd night after being promised that it would be brought to our room.

The food was brought to our table by a waiter and was a little scant.

The swimmng pool was out of action and was a very unusual green colour. There were many members of staff there who just sat around looking at the pool doing nothing about its condition.

The hotel looks very nice. It is in a leafy area and the landscaping is quiet pleasant but the negatives outweigh the positives. It is also quiet a hike to the city centre.

The city is pleasant enough. There is a Cavern club with Beatles posters and statues of the Fab 4. We watched live music there. Not your tradtional Cuban music but a mix of British/American classics.

A trip to see Pancho the drinking donkey was fun.

The city was a good stopover before going to Guardalavaca.

We managed to get a private taxi from Holguin to Guardalavaca for 35 CUC. I was advise this was a very good deal.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2009

Luckily we only stayed in this hotel for one night. The only good thing about this place is that the restaurant food is good and not expensive. The rest of the hotel, I am not sure it is to be desired.

The room that we were allocated was big and is facing a busy street. Although they have security guard near my room, I was never asked to show my room keys. The bathroom is basic but the cabinet there is too dirty. I did not even dare to use the glasses put in the cabinet. All the sockets in my room is loose and it looks very unsafe. Our room has 2 doors. One of the door cannot be locked properly. So we have to move the fridge to be in front of this door in order to ensure we would not be burgled.

The location of this hotel is 3-4km away from the town centre and there is nothing nearby except with another hotel and also some residential areas. So if you need to get around, you will need to pay about 3 cucs to get to the town centre.

There is a swimming pool there. However, I did not dare to swim in the pool as the water looks green but I can smell there is lots of chorine.

The receptionist there seems to speak good English and I do not have any issues with them at all.

I would avoid this place if at all feasible. During the dinner we observed some interesting guests.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Islazul El Bosque? Share your experiences!