“Adequte - but could so easily be really good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Pernik

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Hotel Pernik
You added Hotel Pernik to your Saves list
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Ave Jorge Dimitrov, Holguin 80100, Cuba   |
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Holguin
Stafford, Great Britain
“Adequte - but could so easily be really good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I stayed 5 days at the Pernik, separated by a side trip to Santiago de Cuba, in June 2014, and have been there several times previously over the past 15 years. Adequate describes the place... adequately I think, but it could be so much better with more effective management. My initial booking was queried, when I checked in, made through a UK travel agency, and I was warned that unless the hotel could sort out the difficulty on Monday, I would have to pay again! Fortunately the difficulty was resolved; I had no such problems booking through the same agency for the Hotel Colina in Havana.

My room was reasonable, although a little noisy on the Thursday night when the hotel attarcts a local crowd for a music/dancing session. Breakfast was a varied buffet, with mayonaisse replacing butter when circumstances required it..... I dined at the hotel once, with Cuban friends, and the food was very well presented and tasty; such a pity that the rest of the hotel services cannot match this standard.

I requested a taxi through the hotel reception to the airport at the end of my stay, and expected an official Cubataxi or similar. Instead I was transported in an ancient, seat-belt-free Corvair, for the same CUC fare as a safe, modern Hyundair, Skoda or Kia would have charged. Not a satisfactory experience.

The internet room was again closed, and I wonder if it is ever opened between by visits to the pernik. Just up the road the Villa El Bosque has a working internet computer available for hire, and i do wonder why the Pernik, under the same ISLAZUL management cannot get their system to work.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Miami, Florida, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2014 via mobile

We traveled to cuba, to visit family. We had one overnight in the hotel pernik and I can honestly say. Thank goodness it was just one overnight. I can honestly say that hotel is a safe hazard, it is old, not kept at all. Our room was way in a corner and had to search for a light switch outside the room, the bathroom was old and the soap they had was used soap disgusting. We had dinner their as well as breakfast can't say which was worse, and I had never seen so many flies in my life. The staff was extremely un pleaseant. It seems that hotel is used by many locals who are drunk and loud. I do not recommend that hotel not even for an over night.

Stayed February 2014
Southampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2014

Noise day and night...room not very clean..matress very bad condition...people screaming and shouting in early morning... kind of hotel that is not recommended...bad breakfast...nothing good. Other thing is that we went for dinner outvof hotel but we came early and when I arrived there someone of the hotel was with the keys of our room and went there without permission...we don't know what was the purpose but don't recommend at all. Staff very rude as well.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Saint Robert, Missouri
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I think this Hotel is isn't bad...But it wasnt what I expected..The food is a bit overpricey as the rooms for the poor quality of service. The buffet has not variety at all for one price but the bar served a great steak and pasta (the best of my estance). I found out weird that this was the only hotel that charged per person instead of per room as others hotels I have stayed at. I just wanted my aunt to stay with me. No room service, there was water all over the floor...I didnt try the pool but it seemed to b ok. I wouldnt stay there again.

• Stayed March 2013
boulder, colorado
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

For a quick trip to Soviet Russia the Pernik Hotel in Bolguin, Cuba fits the bill. We were told it was a Soviet style hotel but the first impression was of a modern, open buildings with a courtyard full of plants. It was the long, bleak hallways that brought us to another time and place. The guest rooms were clean with an area for sitting, but this was not a room in which to spend any time. The beds were box spring style, fine but not soft. The pillow, one per person, varied from tiny to lumpy. There was one dim overhead room light with a switch well inside the door and a walk away from the beds. There was no reading bedside lights or additional lamp in the small sitting area. The air conditioner worked, roared, and was musty. The closet, too, had the smell of mold. Any attempt to make the room inviting and cozy was missing. The shower had hot water with a good spray. There was soap and toilet paper. The restaurant had a decent buffet. For breakfast ask the chief to make you an omelet rather than eat the rather rubbery steam table eggs. For a quick, overnight stay close to the airport the hotel works, but I certainly would look elsewhere if more time is to be spent in the city.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are equal as far as decor. Some rooms have been adorn with photos and memorabilia of...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Pernik is more or less decent place, I stayed in it several times. Though if you think hotel is not good enough for you then there is big option of places to stay. Apart from Pernik and El Bosque there is quite big choice of private accommodations with decent level of service with reasonable and often low cost. In those accommodations prices vary from $10 to $20 per day with self-catering, to $25 per day with breakfast. So if you are not happy with Pernik or El Bosque here are some places where you can stay Hostal Daniel y Vivian, Calle 19-17 entre Luz y Rio Reparto Luz. Holguin. Tel. 522 11117, mobile 530 807 74, $10—15 per day.
Villa “Ely», Carretera Gibara 222, E/26 Y 28, Alcides Pino, Holguin. Tel. 441 1695, mobile 524 66 436, $20 per day.
Daniel yMarcia, Calle 26 no 16 altos entre carretera de Gibara y 5, reparto Alcides Pino, Holguin. Tel.0053 24 441178, mobile 0053 52 927921, $25 per day with breakfast. I stayed there several times during my holiday and was not disappointed, so I believe you would not either.

Room Tip: Rooms on the bottom floor are more convenient
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Joliette, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2013

i did a 2 visits ,2 nights stays at this hotel end of august / september at begining and end of my visit to cuba . its an old hotel staff are mostly very nice but a few key personel are ... nasty ... rooms are run down and small both rooms i had i could not lock balcony door or window ,balcony i could not use air conditioner from rooms above were rainning on my balcony with mildew all over , room safe was not working in 1 room , cleanning staff in both rooms did there job well rooms were clean sheets were changed each day ( i asked ) and towels changed daily and changed extra time , avoid soap of room if you can... old small tv's in rooms 14'' - 19'' no fridge . most rooms have twin beds .a few have double beds they said i did not see them.. this hotel has mainly foreign residing cubans visiting family and bus tours 1 night stays , staff mainly speaks only spanish some at reception speak english

,the pool is big and old but cleaned daily opens at 10 am till about 6 pm , many many cubans at pool on weekends . i ate chicken legs with fries at pool bar they were ,,, ok , they also have hamburgers and frozen pizzas and fish with fries prices are cheap 2-8 cuc plate , breakfast buffet was good with fruits and watered down juices and usual cuban hams ,nice chef ready to cook your omlette and eggs , floor staff mainly ingnores you at buffet . there is a car rental office outside in hotel front parking lot they usualy have 1 or 2 cars ready . taxi ride to city center is 3 cuc during the day and usualy 5 cuc at night, weekends or when hotel is busy they say taxis are 24 h ( private taxis ) taxi ride to airport is 15 - 20 cuc you must negotiate . next time i will try el bosque very close by .

Room Tip: yes its a noisy hotel daytime but half of rooms are on the other side of pool& bar area , if you...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Pernik? Share your experiences!