“Excellent Holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
You added Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero, Holguin 0000, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
Wales
“Excellent Holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2009

This was an excellent value for money and beautiful resort. I work in a five star resort in the Uk and I would grade this a 4 star. My partner and I had a great holiday and would consider returning if the price was right.

Hotel
Was very clean and well maintained. Our bedroom if I was being picky was a little tired but had we asked they would of moved us however it did not bother us at all.

Beach
Was amazing I ghave travellled all over the world and am hard pushed to find water as clear and beautiful as here. The beach is a great length and great for a morning / evening walk. If you walk past the beach bar you will walk through undergrowth and there is a intermittent path. Follow this for a few hundred meters and there is a coral beach which is also lovely and there is lots of wildlife to see here.

Daytime entertainment
The entertainment was great you could od as much or as little as you like. If you take part and win you eve get a certificate presented to you during the evening entertainment. You can play table tennis, basketball, tennis, beach volley ball, spanish lessons, shooting, dancing.

Evening Entertainment
Wow this was fantastic the shows were excelllent and the dancers were amazing. You could see then practising during the day. There was a wide range of shows and they start at a time where you can eat dinner first. The water show was the best a great idea to utilise the pool.

Staff
The staff were very friendly and could not do enough for you. I did not encounter one rude person in the 2 week stay. Tipping is not a big deal you can do it as you go along or at the end. However money is worthless as they cannot really spend it. Try tipping with items money cant buy eg paracetomol, makeup, pads, pens, clothes etc as they cannot but these things readily here.

The food overall here was good. The beach bar and italian for lunch were really lovely and break away from the buffet. The Cuban for dinner was ok and the Italian was hit or miss we had 2 great meals and one average there. The buffet has a fantastic choice and they will happily grill you something from the selection of meats and make you fresh pasta. There was the odd thing that didnt look great but we just avoided those items and if we didnt like what we had chosen we got something different. Some food was just warm but thats the nature of a buffet. Desserts were all covered in this cream / icing stuff which i avoided however in the second week the desserts got better.

Drinks
The Coffee was excellent and drinks readily availiable even champagne. The beach bar at night was great fun if there is a crowd of people.

Overall we really enjoyed this holiday. It was very relaxing and we did little ore than sunbathe, eat and drink. After 2 weeks we were ready to come home as there was not a massive amount to do outside of the resort unless you booked a super expensive trip. We would definatly reccomend this resort .

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (457)
  • Polish first
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2009

This was our first holiday! After reading all of the posts here on the trip advisor and Debbie's reviews we chose this hotel. We had the best time ever. Snorkeling was great, the beach was great, the staff were great, the food was excellent! I can't say enough.
We rented scooters and went around and visited many families and gave them supplies that we had brought from home. They were so appreciative. Readling glasses were a big hit.
If we decided to go back to Cuba, we would return to this resort in a heartbeat, the only problem was, one week was not long enough!!!!! HOLA!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2009

We went in May 2008 to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort. This was the first time for me. The only downsides to this resort were their Daiquiri machines weren't working and the rooms smelled a little, but you got used to the smell after about a day. The people are very nice, the beach was amazing...just a great relaxing vacation. It's a smaller resort, in my opinion but still very nice.

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Our one week stay at Blau was OK, not fantastic. The food in the restaurants was pretty good but the buffet wasn't great. Food was often lukewarm at best. Our room was OK. Fairly clean but could use a makeover - very dated and a little shabby and rundown We realized pretty quickly that a 4 star hotel in Canada is not the same as a 4 star in Cuba. Blau was in the 2 star category room-wise, food-wise, in our opinion.

Beach was beautiful and there was some great snorkeling off the spit. The pool was nice and there were lots of nice lounge chairs to choose from. Staff was mostly friendly with the occasional grump (no more so than any other hotel). The beds were as hard as bricks but the staff inserted a comfy layer of something when we mentioned it. The housekeeping staff were really lovely. Bartenders super grumpy unless you tipped heavily.

The biggest problem we found with Blau is that it is so isolated. In hindsight, we would have gone to Varadero instead so we could easily go to Havana. We just didn't find there was enough to do at Blau other than loaf at the beach. If you want to get out to see the sites, the excursions are pricey and add up quick. ($140 for the two us to go snorkeling for the day)

The skin diving on the catamaran excursion was fun. The excursion to Holguin was pretty good (liked the cigar factory) although there was little to see in the town of Holguin itself (you're dumped off in the main square for an hour and a half which is far too long)

Overall, it was a relaxing holiday and it was nice not to have to worry about food or drink - it was all taken care of. If you're happy to spend all your time in a "tourist bubble", sitting on the beach, then this is the place for you. But if you want to get a flavour of real Cuba, it's not so easy at places like these. We won't be returning to Holguin or to Blau Costa Verde any time soon. The Yucatan peninsula was a much more appealing destination.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Windsor, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

Just got back today from my one week vacation to Blau Costa Verde. I am a 30 year old male living in Ontario who went with my Girlfriend, my aunt and her friend. We have all travelled many times to Mexico and the Carribean and were all very pleased by our stay.

FOOD- This being my 2nd time in Cuba, I didn't really get my hopes up over the food (since it is Cuba) but the food at this resort in my opinion was the best of any resort I have been to. There is plenty to choose from if you are "fussy", the evening buffet did have something different each night (as a lot of resorts that are not 5 STAR will not). You get 2 Al a Cartes, but we managed to get it 4 nights just by asking nicely if there was any extra tables. Cuba is usually not up to our standards for condiments, so I strongly advice you to take Ketchup packs, sweetners, Jams, etc. We did and used them.

BEACH- short and sweet since the pictures sort of tell a thousand words...BEAUTIFUL!

ROOMS- rooms were VERY clean and very well kept each day. 2 beer (Mayabe Brand), 2 Cuban Coke cans and a large water each day was standard I don't like regular pop so after asking the first day they brought me Diet. NO BUGS found(as well as any other person on the resort).

BARS - there are 5 Bars (Lobby bar, Snack/Main "Hangout" Bar that was 24 hour, Daily Beach Bar, Daily SWIM-UP bar, and evening Disco Bar). You will find great bartenders and you will find some sort of specialize in a drink making. I enjoy drinking (my liver is recovering today), I mainly drank draft beer but tried a few different cocktales each day. My favorites were a "Miami Beach" (pina colata with grenadian and milk), and the "Pina Colata" (which I find at most places to be too sweet but not here). The girls I was with really enjoyed the "Mary Pickfords" which I forget what they were made of. You will NEVER wait too long for a drink as I find they have a good number of staff working.

STAFF- the staff are SINCERE, TRUSTWORTHY, HARDWORKING, FRIENDLY, and will go out of their way for you, without expecting anything in return (which I find not the case in other places like the Dominican). I have made friends with a good handfull of them, especially Leovanny, Ronny, and Rolando.

A few IMPORTANT NOTES are-
-this is NOT CANCUN, so this is not the place to go pick up girls and go screaming around the resort since there are mainly people aged between 30-60 here.
-pack all the necessities of ANY trip down south: Travel Mug (cups served in day are small), an Alarm Watch or Clock for the room, Faceclothes/Babywipes and extra Toilet Paper (even though it wasnt needed), DRUGS (pepto, immodium, tylenol....eventhough we didn't need it as NO ONE got sick)
-if you are someone who likes to watch their figure and don't want to pack on too much weight on their trip pack Cristal Light packets for your drinks.

If you are considering this resort, I STRONGLY recommend it. If you have any concerns or questions (especially after you book it) don't resitate to Email me at JasonC_Peters@hotmail.com

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Dartmouth
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2009

We spent a week at Blau Costa Verde and had a very relaxing vacation. The beach is beautiful, weather was hot and sunny. My husband and I have travelled for years in the Caribbean and it was our first time to Cuba. We are a bit spoiled with going to very nice places and worked aboard cruise ships in some of the nicest ports and spent days at gorgeous resorts. Blau is nice, but I think we would go somewhere else next time. For the money, it did what it was suppose to do, get rid of cell phones and get a tan.

Food: average, but I expected that
Room: average
Bartenders: I felt a bit unfortable everytime I went for a drink as I think they expected a tip everytime. Bring a large cup, they serve beer and drinks in dixie cups!! They have no blenders, so your pina colada's will be not what you are use to.

Most of the wait staff were very nice. The resort has a beautiful pool, cool water. The massage is cheap for 1 hour - $25 peco's. For $100 Cnd. I got $71 peco's.

Don't bother brinigng your hair dryer, power is 220. They have hair dryers in the rooms.

We couldn't find snorkel gear to buy before we left so we counted on using the resorts as they advertise they have it. They didn't!! Said it was all broken. You can use the paddle boats for free, which is nice.

Swimming with the dolpins was my highlight, loved the tour. It cost $220.00 US for both of us and we just put that on our credit card. There were some kids, but not many. It was mostly people our age, 40 - 60 yrs in avg.

We brough clothes and things like, toothpaste, toys for kids, ect. We gave to a couple of locals. The boys and men need sneakers!!! Long and short sleave shirts would be good to give away. I left wrapped candies and 3 pecos on the pillow every day for the maid.

You have to drive outside the resort to see anything. We just went with the dolpin tour and did a shuttle from the resort (20 min.) to an outside market.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
PEI
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2009

Just returned from a most relaxing and enjoyable stay at the Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort. We appreciated the comments we read on this facility and took flight for first tine to Cuba with confidence of an enjoyable vacation. This did happen and would like to share our experience for those to follow.

Flight - We flew Skyservice for first time and was not overly impressed. Plane though large (757) was packed, seats were cramped and uncomfortable, roast beef snack was horrible and flight was 2 hours late leaving, though pilot made good time on way down. Trip back was same overdcrowding but snack was much better this time. Bottom line will avoid Skyservice in future.

Hotel - Resort is about 9 years old, color schemme is vivid and bright, reception was welcoming even at 3:30 in morning. Our request to have adjoining rooms not met when we arrived but front desk stafff had this promtly cleared up for the next night. We stayed in 1 Block which was furthest away from the many body of complex. Nice and quiet, room was clean, toilets flushed very well, shower had hot water when needed. Bit of an issue with electricity as was 220 volt and our converter did not function ( either becasue it was a crappy one or we didn't know how to use. Daughter fried her Ipod docking station and battery charger. Finally figured out wife could use staightener in the 220 to clear up her "bang" issues. Made was friendly, sheets were not changed for the stay but this was OK for us. We took pillows so couldn't complain about that - bed was firm but passable.

Food - Was a bit worried about this going down there but found this to be fine, not awe-inspiring but never went hungry - always variety. Potatoes were just like PEI potatoes, so felt at home. The a-la-cartes were OK, best was Italian. The pizzas at the Italian during lunch were very good.

Pool and Beach - Pool was small and underutilized by patrons. Not sure why, maybe a bit cold. I only went in once when played water polo and then the pool bar. Would encourage more people to get involved in animation activities as is a good way to meet new people. Hello Scott, Jeff, Tammy, Janelle and Julie. Beach was great, water was clear, coral a bit of an issue when wading out at our end. Great to walk one end of beach to another and pass other resorts. If going in the early morning be prepared to deal with a small number of locals who gather there (usually women and children looking for handouts. If this bothers you don't go so early or carry things with you to give away. They appreciate it. Took paddle and Hobie Cat the last day. Wish I went earlier. What a thrill the Hobie Cat was. I got soaked.

Disco - This was fun. We went four out of seven nights and danced up a storm. Music was a nice mix of Caribbean and North American.

Excursions - While a bit pricey these were very good. I did the Holguin trip and enjoyed everything except the young men hustling us with cigars or basically begging us for money at the at the Cross on the hill. I wasn't prepared for this and felt we should have been better protected from this on such as sacred area of this city. The stop at the Centre of the city exposed us to the variety of lifestyles in this city. Very noticeable were the trendy younger crowd, recognizable bureaucrats or government officials, black market entrepreneurs and street beggars. Met a really nice couple from the Manchester, England whom we got to know some about during remainder of stay. My wife and daughter did the catamaran and dolphin trip and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Summary - all in all we enjoyed ourselves at this resort. Felt safe all the time. Staff were friendly and professional. The only downer was my daughter losing her camera near the beach when getting ready for paddle boats. I am pretty sure she dropped it near the beach chair guy. Was lost only for about 5 minutes before being noticed was gone. Beach wasn't that busy with people at that time. He certainly wasn't overly concerned about our loss and could certainly tell we were looking in his area for it. The boat staff said nobody on staff would steal, but eh black market opportunities are too tempting for them not to I feel. If it was a tourist then so be it. Thanks for stealing my daughters memories. Camera was a Canon Power SHot SD1100IS if anyone should notice it down there if going soon, but we are convinced it is gone forever. Despite this we will definitely go back there but would travel with a group of couples without the kids.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!