“February 2014” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
You added Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero, Holguin 0000, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Holguin
Oshawa, Canada
“February 2014”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2014

Enjoyed my stay at Blau Costa Verde. I was travelling on my own but it took no time to meet some great friends at the resort. There is an upgrade you can get when you book your trip that includes a gold bracelet that allows you to use the new pool which is less crowded and away from all of the kids and the kids club area. You also stay in the newer part of the hotel and it includes more a la carte bookings, it included 5 which is amazing and I've never seen that many available at the resort. It also includes access to a VIP bar which includes top shelf liquour if that is important to you. A very quiet bar but definitely worth a visit to check it out.

The aqua show is amazing so you will want to ensure you check it out. It's by the main pool by the buffet.

There is a 24 hour bar in the centre of the hotel which serves food all day/night long if you are feeling snacky. The Cuba a la carte restaurant serves lobster which was fantastic. It is at the second buffet restaurant that is open for lunch for the new pool in the VIP area. It's almost hidden if you are not a VIP guest so please make sure you go find it. I found the food there a bit better for lunch and it was close enough to the VIP pool.

The Holguin beach is definitely not one of the best beaches I've been on. I normally like to walk the beach every morning but it is incredibly short and there are rocks and seashells everywhere so water shoes or sandles are necessary. You spend more time looking at the ground rather than enjoying the beach view. The water also has rocks and such so you always have to be watching where you are going. Apparently repeat travellers to this resort go for the snorkeling and there is an area that has less rocks, but for me that is just not worth it unless you are going to snorkel every day. I'm more of a pool person so this didn't really bother me as I chose Holguin this time of year as it was further south and I knew the weather would be warmer than Cayo Coco and other further north resorts.

The hotel is 1 hr 30 minutes from the airport so be prepared for the ride.

The new rooms were comfortable and the shower was fantastic.

Room Tip: Book the VIP area where the newer rooms are with the shower stall. They are cleaner and comfortabl...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (509)
  • Polish first
Halifax, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

We vacationed as a family, 2 adults 2 teens, March 29th – April 5th flying from Halifax with CanJet. The weather was gorgeous. Arriving around midnight check in was easy, drinks and food were offered. We requested prior to arrival 2 rooms side by side on the second or third floor with an ocean view. We ended up with 2 rooms on the first floor and not side by side. One room had a view of other buildings; the second room a view of a large green fence and a security guard.
We stayed in the Plus section - Block 37. Rooms were clean, a good size for two people the beds were slightly bigger than a twin. The bathroom was large and the water pressure in the shower was good. The fridge was stocked daily with beer, pop and water. The AC, in one room, stopped working twice in the middle of the night but was fixed in the morning. Block 37 was a long walk from everything but once we got used to it we really didn’t mind it.
The beach is shared, each with its own section, by three hotels. The beach in its entirety makes for a nice walk but there are lots of rocks in the sand. We ignored the advice of many to bring water shoes. The water itself is crystal clear but getting in and out of it was a challenge the rocks and coral were awful. We heard of at least 2 people who broke a toe and another who lost a toenail because of the rocks.
Two mornings we ended up at the Plus pool because we couldn’t get a spot on the beach until after lunch. The beach was packed by mid-morning. The Plus pool is very nice but there is very little shade to be found. Because we prefer the beach I would get up every morning at 6:30am to head to the beach to get our spot for the day.
As Coste Verde Plus Guests we were able to enjoy 5 a la cartes; Cuban, Gourmet, Lobster, Spanish and Italian. We enjoyed getting dressed for dinner. I was very disappointed that the dress code was not enforced. But the people who followed the dress code looked nice.
We preferred the main buffet for breakfast and lunch and even some late night meals. The selection was fantastic with lots to pick from. The servers were kind and friendly always doing their very best to make our experience enjoyable. Some staff knew what we wanted to drink as soon as we sat down. Overall the food was outstanding. We had lots to eat. No one was sick.
We went on the Double Decker bus to the market in Guardalavaca. It was 20 pesos for 4 return trip. It was a lot of fun to sit up on top. We have been to Holguin before so we didn’t do any excursions.
All and all we had a wonderful vacation. We will not be returning to the Blau Coste Verde as the beach was very disappointing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2014

Cons: horrible service. They would ask you what you want to drink and never come back. Staff were often rude and would just chat amongst coworkers. The bars were always crowded and they didn't have the ingredients to make half the drinks that were on the drink list. Minimal food selection, often running out of basics. Misrepresentation of activities going on (Ex. Rifle shooting, archery and pool activities). Barely stocked the fridge and would take our towels out of the room and not replace them. Noliplus is NOT the same as Blau plus. Blau plus has the extra bar and pool. You can upgrade for 10 CUC per person per day, but it was fully booked. Spa was fully booked the entire week. The transat excursion reps gave us wrong information numerous times. The "hotel bank" often ran out of peso's, closed at random times and the exchange rate changed multiple times a day (exchange your money at night, that seemed to be the best rate time.)

Pros: crystal clear beach with coral reef where you can snorkel (bring water shoes). Rooms were nice and tidy. Extended check out until 4pm for $15 CUC. Italian pizza lunch was excellent (go at noon because it gets busy fast). Italian a la carte was good as well. Disco had great music and an excellent bartender.

We've been to Cuba multiple times and have never had such horrible service. We loved the area, excursions offered and the beach, but will not be returning to this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Saint Catharines, Ontario, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

My best friend and I traveled from April 3-11 and were not impressed with the way the hotel was kept or the service. First of all make sure you say to your travel agent you want Blau Plus and not Noli Plus, Noli Plus does not offer you the same as Blau Plus. When we arrived at the resort the line ups were crazy to exchange money and the rate changed hourly, my advice is exchange your money the next day. We did excursions, the dolphin and snorkeling excursion was an amazing experience; you got to go on a big boat(catamaran) and had open bar and music and lots of places to tan.I would recommend everyone to do the dolphins, you were able to get pictures done professionally with the dolphins.They offered a lobster lunch at the marine, if you are deadly allergic to shellfish inform the tour guide because they had other options beside lobster

We also did the 2 snorkeling excursion which I found was a rip off because we were taken to the exact same place as we did the first time, the boat wasn't as nice either. Both snorkeling experiences were amazing because the water was so clear you saw different kinds of fish. We also had the opportunity to go into guradalavaca to the market, we took a taxi from our hotel and costed us 25 pesos (ask for Ronald as your taxi driver). The market was small but had a lot of different art there, my advice to you is buy your cigars at the market because they are cheaper then in the hotel. Our taxi driver offered us a deal for the next day to travel to guardalavca and see a tribal dance, farmers house and a burial area for only 35 pesos. We had a tour guide for the day (her name is Jay) she told us everything about each place we stopped, at the farmers house we got try fresh fruit and vegetables. I would recommend everyone to go the tribal dance because you got to see how the Indians healed someone and got to dance with them.

About the hotel:
The worst thing about the hotel was the service, it was so busy at our resort that it took quite awhile to get a drink or served your meal. I have been to cuba before so I know the food is bland, The hotel did not have a lot of variety of food at the buffet. I would recommend everyone to try the omelette station..it was amazing! They ran out of bacon the last 2 days we were there and my friend was not impressed. I would recommend everyone to go for breakfast right at 7:30am when they open or you will be waiting in line ups for awhile. One of the best meals we had at the resort was the bbq night, Italian resturant for lunch and Italian a la carte, the bbq night had amazing chicken, pork, steak, tuna..you name it they had it bbq. The a la carte was amazing as well (book early) It was my birthday so we got a special table and gave me a cake and sang to me, it was very memorable.

I would highly recommend everyone to try the Italian lunch restaurant, they served amazing pizza (wide variety). My advice is to order 2 or you will be waiting awhile, Our Nolitours reps were helpful because they always had answers and explained a lot about the hotel and the excursions (go to the meeting when you arrive) I really liked how the reps were always around and stayed late. My friend and I saw a couple of shows, the break dancing was amazing and the beach party(if it rains it is inside in the lobby) was amazing as well, The bugs at night are deadly so make sure you cover yourself(bug spray does not work). Our fridge was stocked daily and our room was very big with a balcony, we were in block 1 so it was accessible to get around.

The beach was amazing, pure white sand and clear water! Bring snorkeling gear and water shoes because there is a lot of coral reef and rocks. The fish love bananas, when you feed the fish they all come around you; we had amazing pictures! I would recommend everyone to pay the extra 15 pesos on the last day because if you have a later flight you get your room for the day. I would also recommend to get the vip at the airport because you had your own line at the airport and a place to sit and relax and eat snacks before the flight (you were also first on the flight) PLACE YOUR LIQUOR IN YOUR LUGGAGE OR THEY WILL TAKE (personal experience)

Overall the hotel was not what I expected, I will not be returning to Blau Costa Verde. I would not recommend the hotel to anyone, I would recommend Holguin to people because the beach is nicer and the sun is hotter then veradero.

Room Tip: Block 1 is close to everything, room 1303 is quiet!
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Lichfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014 via mobile

we stayed there from the 26th march to the 9th of april..the beach (rocky) but ok with water shoes...on the very far right no rocks it was beautiful...went on a trip to paradise island omg we wanted to stay there for the rest of our holiday it was amazeing the old blocks were just that (old) the remote for the tv was held together with tape and still dident work..the bed was concreate the decor was awful asked to be moved which we were ...to the new block no 48..was told it was 6 months old...lol...again were they get there decoraters from i dont know..plus side ocean view...flat screen tv..walk in shower and a very large comfy bed...negatives..rusty old bin...loose ceiling tiles..broken shower...cleaner never really cleaned...just changed towels...if you want beds on the beach..be ready to wake very early 6.30am...or you get no chance...this was no way a 4 star hotel...the list could go on but we did meet some nice people...ron and penny from canada...and chris and sue from wales...thank you for your company....get in touch if you read this my e.mail
nutty.adams23@gmail.com
it would be lovely to hear from you

• Stayed March 2014
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

One day before our departure, I am notified by SunWing that this hotel is OVERBOOKED!! After sending 2 e-mails to Ms. Noemi Mulet, Sales Manager, one month in advance to assure a great vacation. Not acceptable!!

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

This was our first time to Holguin after travelling to Varadero 8 times. The hotel was always clean, always found something to eat and do. Took a tour into Holguin city and the tour guide was amazing, she did a fantastic job. Then took another tour to Guardavacja and then to Indian Village. Guardavacja has a 24/7 market with new vendors each day and would like to stay in that area.

The staff at the Blau made you feel like at home and never had to wait for anything. definitely would recommend this place to everyone as it was highly recommend to me.

The only downsize was that our room was a fare distant from the main hotel. At least we got our exercise in every day and did not gain weight. And also they use regular milk and cheese and not the goat's milk that they served in Varadero. Unfortunately I did not realize this and got sick. No one to blame but myself. Still had a great trip.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!