“My 30th Birthday 2 Week Vacation :)” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
You added Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero, Holguin 0000, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
“My 30th Birthday 2 Week Vacation :)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

Me & my friend booked Blau for 2 weeks from March 19th & paid £800 p/p via JLM Travel which I thought was a bargain! When we arrived at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised :) Check in was a little slow but nothing to worry about as they bring you welcome cocktails which were DE-LICIOUS! As we were predominantly traveling for my birthday we decided to upgrade to the VIP section of the hotel which cost roughly 80 peso p/p for the duration of the stay. They originally tried putting us far out as we requested somewhere quiet but before they did we requested somewhere a little closer - we ended up in block 17, room number 102 which was 2 mins to the VIP pool & disco room, 5 mins to the beach, 5 mins to the beach restaurant & just over 5 mins to the main lobby / restaurants. The room we stayed in was ''ok'', nothing special but nevertheless it was spacious & clean which are 2 vital points for most holiday-makers. All facilities worked & we only experienced 2 power cuts which didn't even last 15 seconds, the beds aren't the most comfortable but that won't stop you from getting a good night sleep. If you do like to get early nights whilst you're away i probably wouldn't recommend block 17 as the disco room starts from 11:15pm & finished at 2am - you can hear the disco from the block (it's not too loud).

Our first week at the hotel was amazing as the occupancy wasn't full. No queues & no overcrowding :) Our second week changed slightly as the hotel was fully booked! There were a few occasions where we had to queue for breakfast, lunch & tea but it was never much more than a 5 min wait so we didn't mind. The staff seemed to be on top of everything in terms of managing seating & replenishing food too which is brilliant.

We spent everyday at the beach & it's advisable you pop down there around 6:45am if you want to get a good spot.Take your blue beach towels & tie them round the palopa - We did this every morning as we loved the beach so much & was bloody worth it! The one time we had a lie in we sat further away from the sea & a french lady plonked her chair right next to mine & started chatting away to her family. I literally could, without stretching, touched her if i wanted which i felt was a bit weird - too close really, but she seemed to like it! LOL! There are a few pebbles as you walk in but that didn't stop anybody from entering the clear warm sea! There are parts where there are less pebbles than others. If you take a walk up the beach you'll find parts where there are no pebbles at all - looks amazing, picturesque.

The food was extremely repetitive which got boring - fast! There is plenty of choice though so i guess you could mix it up to make it different. On holiday i try to be as healthy as possible so i had fruit & cereal most mornings. I did try the naughty food a few times though but i felt bloated afterwards :/ This is just me though, my friend had more of the naughty food than me & really enjoyed it :) We had lobster twice which was surprisingly nice & we had the italian one night too - that was amazing! They even made me a cake for my birthday at the end of the italian which was great!

The drinks are beautiful, the cappuccinos from the 24 hour bar are to die for & i don't even like coffee! Cocktails are delicious & they don't skimp on the alcohol either. I'd go as far as saying they give you too much as found myself drunk fast which I'm sure annoyed the life out of my friend :') I had a great time though!

Disco room is fun, it's not a big place but can hold a fair few party goers. They played the same music every night which was fine as it was all fun to sing & dance along to - the DJ takes requests too so feel free to walk around the back of the disco room & walk up the stairs which is where the DJ is.

Evening entertainment was mainly good. The water ballet was good but you have to get there early to get a good spot as the seats are limited around the pool. The opera singers were fantastic along with another lady singer & dancers.

I found myself a little bored at times as the show would start at 9:30pm, finish at 10:30pm then theres nothing to do except drink in the lobby or 24 hour bar OR wait for the disco to start at 11:15pm.

We didn't do many excursions as my friend isn't keen on watersports which was a big shame as the atlantic ocean is absolutely breathtaking!!!!!! We did Holguin by night which was ok, nothing special. They give you a litre of rum per couple, meat & cheese to snack on, chocolates & a cigar. Did horse riding too which was fun but gave me a sore bum for 4 days - and i mean i couldnt sit down because Einstein here was trying to be a boss & said to the guy who was with me I want to go fast! Big bloody mistake - that horse ran for bloody miles & boy did i feel every step! :''') Fun though - just down gallop like I did :')

Tipping - we had read about tipping before we went & was a little apprehensive about the whole thing. Not that we're tight but we like to give tips on our terms as opposed to theirs however, the Canadians tip every time they the staff do something for them which i felt was too much. We tipped 40 pesos whilst we were there which we felt was more than enough. Usually 1 peso although we did give the guy who filled our fridge a 3 peso note on day as we hadn't tipped him in a while & his face was priceless - he said ''for me??????? :O'', i was like yes!!! That made our day & i'm sure made his. So yeah, we didn't tip everyone for everything so don't feel like you have to.

I snorkeled almost every day which was amazing - take bread from the canteen & swim up past the stair entrance into the sea & that's where you'll strike gold! Don;t forget your underwater camera :)

Would i go back to Cuba - yes
Would i recommend Blau - yes to those who need a 100% relaxing vaca

**TAKE A BIG THERMAL CUP WITH YOU AS THEY APPRECIATE THAT**

One last thing - i bought 2 paintings from the vendors at the hotel - make sure you ask for a full receipt or an official stamp on the back of it as i got stopped on the way home & had to pay 6 peso & was entered into some book :/ that was annoying.
Think it had something to do with people export them.... i dunno!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Polish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014 via mobile

This was our first time at this resort. We have been to Cayo Coco 3 times.
Resort is nice and all the wait staff is fantastic.
We upgraded to plus and asked for room that was central. We got block
36. Husband has health problems. We were off to a great start. They have make shift short cut paths. These are all gravel and you also had to hike up a small hill. Not good if your dressed up in heels.
Our shower hose broke 3 times in 2 days.
Our first Al carte restaurant was the Italian. Cannot tell you how many man wore shorts. The reservation tag says long pants. This was not enforced.
VIP plus bar. Was over crowded and the time we went only 1 bartender.
Beach is really rocky and we expected that. But it was really bad. On the plus side great for snorkeling.
We also had a issue one night when one of our group was ill. We tried to get a cart to take us back to our room. We were turned down.
The food was very good. No really long waits. Good selection.
Plus pool was quiet and clean. Pool bar was also great.
We called for luggage pick up 3 times in 45 mins the day we left. They should have more drivers available. Over all we had a nice time. But will not be back

Stayed April 2014
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We (2 older couples) spent a week here in late March. Its an hour by bus from the Holguin airport and is located in a beautiful bay. The "ocean-view" rooms do have a view of the ocean but it is a good 150 m away. The grounds are nicely maintained and the amenities are good.
Meals were a pleasant surprise - very good buffet with good selection. The theme restaurants were OK but not great.
The beach, the snorkeling, the catamaran rides were very good.
Our biggest complain was the noise of the P.A. system. Our first room looked down onto the entertainment stage and we had to move because of the noise. Our new location (block 1 - highly recommend this block) was much better but the noise from the P.A. when the announcer was conducting games etc could be heard everywhere - don't understand why it had to be so loud.

Staff were exceptional. Friendly, courteous and smiling.

One minor beef - There is a new "Plus" section of the report which costs 10 pesos per night, per person extra. That section of the resort has a beautiful swimming pool which we assumed we could use. However, it seems this pool is only for the "Plus" guests. This was not made clear.

Overall this is a very good resort for a beach vacation.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

It's good resort with rocky and crowded beach, but what was really "rock" me-massage!!! I always do massages at any destinations-not always perfect, but helpful. But I want give notice to everybody-do not try it at this resort-it was the worst experience in my life! But representative of Sunwing Federico was much more better-he told me I must find shower myself because masseuse very busy...Are you like to run with lots of oil on the the skin covered with towel around the building?! No, thanks.
But I could recommend to do something different -I had my portrait from artist Manuel Gamayo Cordero -he does perfect job, try it!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Orangeville, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

My husband and I traveled to Cuba as a last minute decision. Before going we sent an email to the resort with our room requests, as did our travel agent. We booked the PLUS. And I have a disability and walk with a cane. We had requested a room on the ground floor (as we knew the new buildings had no elevators) and as close as possible to all amenities. Upon checking in and asking if we were being accommodated to our requests, we were told yes. We waited at the front to be taken to our room. On arrival to our room, we find out we are in building forty something (I forget), the farthest from everything and on the second floor. I was so frustrated. Our bus boy took my husband back to the front to try and get us moved. He had no luck (Nobody was helpful at all) so while waiting at the front again to be picked up and brought back to the room, the bus boy went into the front desk with my husband and had our room switched. They returned to the room to pick up the luggage and me and off tour new room.

Building 26 was where we stayed, it was still a bit of a walk, but my husband did any extra trips if anything was forgot, once I left the room and went to pool/beach that is where I stayed until dinner time. Beautiful room, very clean, but lots of problems. Our swipe key stopped working 3 times, so i sit outside waiting as my husband had to go to the front to have it reprogrammed (we were late twice for our A La Carte dinners because of this). Our fridge was not restocked 3 different days (suppose to be done daily as a plus customer) and the hydro went out twice, once the night before our departure (and was out for hours, no bad weather or storm). My husband went to the front to see if we could get a flashlight so we could see to pack as we had an early departure (NO luck, NOT very helpful at all). The SERVICE at the FRONT DESK was TERRIBLE.

As for the rest of the staff AMAZING. Our maid was awesome, wait staff and such at the buffet and all the a la carte superb, gardeners and pool maintenance guy very polite, friendly and funny. And all the bar tenders, god love them for some of the people they had to deal with.

Food was great. There was always a good selection. The French A La Carte was our favorite and the Italian for lunches. Drinks were good, but there was lots they did not have available (NOT because they don't have it available, but because they had run out and kept telling us it was coming the next day). My husband did not have a Ceasar (His favorite drink) because they had no Clamato or Tomato Juice. They also ran out of Cranberry Juice. And believe it or not there wa NO french fries available for 4 days as they had run out of them also.

The Pools are very clean, the beach is beautiful. There are lots of excursions available for all ages.

Would I go back? YES, ONLY if I could be guaranteed a room that is feasible for me being disabled. Have been to other resorts where this has never been a problem for me.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Not one of the best hotels I have stayed in 'but the staff were all so happy and could,nt do enough for you. An added bonus were the market stalls on the complex different ones every day ,some good bargains to be had. A lovely beach and beach bar ,I would also recomend the trip to swim with the dolphins

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
St. Catharines, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

Well from most of the reviews posted all seems great! BUT honestly the beech is terrible. If you have been to other destinations in Cuba or Carribean you will be able to see the difference. The beach is very rocky and unsafe with or without water shoes. It is a crowded beach and you need to get their very early to reserve your seat with a cabana. The food at this resort is very good. The difference from the plus section is the walk plus is far from main area. Plus pool is quiet and nicer but difficult to get a shaded area and a chair with cabana!! And same for main pool area.

As far as service staff was very slow at service and not very pleasant considering you are employed in tourism. I have been to other destinations very the staff was very nice. Good luck getting all your a la cartes in they over book at this hotel and its difficult getting a reservation. Its also very noisy at the main pool area a lot of French speaking tourist and also very crowded.
I found that if you intend to go to this area for relaxation the best place is the plus section but their buffet doesn't have as much selection.

Entertainment is not too good they had a water show which was "ok" and their entertainment starts at 945 every night which is a bit late and its nothing worth waiting for, Ive seen better.

Overall, this hotel overbooks packs everyone in and beach is not good if you intend to go for the beach. Food is good but that's about it!!

Room Tip: Book only plus section if you intend to use their areas. And get up early to book your pool shaded c...