“Absolutely top value for the buck!” 5 of 5 stars

Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero, Holguin 0000, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Holguin
Hamilton, Canada
“Absolutely top value for the buck!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just returned from Blau Costa Verde (Jan. 18th to 28th) and traditionally share my thoughts about the resort we have a great pleasure to spend our vacation in. I’d like to emphasize” MY THOUGHTS” as they might be quite different than others’. I always lough seeing stuff like “…Ignore bad reviews…” or “…Don’t go there…” etc. My rule of thumb is to read as many reviews as you possibly can, starting with the bed ones then moving to those from the time of the year you plan your vacation for. It will definitely help in making best decision, still no 100% guarantee though - sorry. This was our 4th time in Cuba and one of the best ones for sure. Coincidentally two other excellent vacations we spent in another Blau hotel (Blau Varadero). Looks like we will give Blau trademark a bit more trust credit in the future. I give this hotel (BCV) excellent rating because in my opinion it is the best possible value for your buck, not only in Cuba but also Mexico and DR where we spent our vacations in the past. Entire hotel consists of two parts, older one and the new called PLUS. Based on reviews I read before choosing the hotel we were prepared for upgrading to PLUS, but it was not necessary as we were quite happy with our room (1203) in block 1. Yes, it looked a bit tired but was kept clean, not a single issue with AC, water pressure or water temperature. Every day we left room at 8:30 am coming back from beach just to take a shower before dinner and then returning around 10:00 pm ready to hit the pillow. Absolutely no need for any better accommodation than that. Also being in the older section of the hotel allowed sneaking into the lobby and main buffet without umbrella when it was raining as all old blocks are connected by covered passages. One caution here though, it can be very slippery when floor tiles are wet so be careful. Ok, now let’s have something to eat. There was a lot to choose from indeed. Like for Cuban standards food was the best of all hotels we stayed in, and many people we talked to expressed the same opinion. Will not go into the menu details because the list would be way too long. Also when something was gone they replenished it right away so no need to be first in line in order to get your yummy favorite like for instance hot oatmeal for breakfast that we enjoyed daily (first hotel in Cuba that had it available). Basically everything from variety of veggies, cheeses, fish, meats and pasta to junk food (fries, burgers) was widely available. To sum it up “…no further questions your honor …”. Now let’s go to the beach. Well, it’s a bit different than those in Varadero or Cayo Coco. For us, “professional beach-walkers” it wasn’t long enough so we had to go back and forth a couple of times in order to make up the distance. It takes max. 15-20 minutes to walk it from one end to another. Talking about walking whether it is on the beach or going into the ocean, water shoes will definitely come handy. Still can do without them (I did but my honey couldn’t) if you are careful. Overall the beach is very nice and we never had a problem with finding a shady space under palapas. As for beach chairs, more available than could be used. Snorkeling off the beach pretty good too especially close to the very end of the beach on the right hand side. Now one more pleasant surprise, the gym. Very nice equipped and everything was actually working. Another “first in Cuba” kinda stuff. I used it daily to supplement short shore line I talked about as well as to burn out excessive intake of food I talked about too. Entire hotel’s grounds are kept clean and neat. You can see gardeners working hard planting new shrubs and trees especially in the PLUS section as this part of the hotel was construction site not that long ago. After the addition of the PLUS the hotel now covers quite large area. We personally loved it as there are a lot of pathways to walk through, but may become an issue for those with impaired mobility. I saw however electric carts moving people around so looks like there is a solution. During the day there are quite a few vendors offering their art work (some really beautiful) and other more or less useful merchandise but unlike other places (and I really, really love it about all Cuba) nobody is harassing you. Every day, starting at about 6:30 pm there is a pre-show activity/performance at the lobby. Some of them are fantastic so make sure to check them out. Night shows are pretty good too. Lots of music and dancing to our liking but I understand that not necessarily to everybody’s. For not PLUS guests there are only two a ’la carte restaurants available, Italian and Cuban. Tried them both and Italian is the winner. Seems like resort is family friendly/oriented as so many young and not so young couples with toddlers, preschoolers and ups were in attendance. I briefly thought about school, but hey, if you are a genius one week taken off your education is less than a piece of cake. Now a bit about “prostitution” issue raised in some previous reviews. Yes, there are some “suspicious” couples visible, but never spotted anything abnormal that would caught unpleasant attention. Never saw any behavior that would be “dangerous” to kids, youngsters or anybody else. All I can tell about those couples is that girls looked way much nicer than “boys”. As for the service, no complains in this department as well. Bartenders, cleaners, waitress and all other at service did their job really good. Never got a feeling being treated differently because didn’t tip good enough. They made it look like tipping doesn’t matter and that’s what I tipped them for. All and all we spent lovely ten days in Blau Costa Verde and wouldn’t mind to come back in the future even for longer time. And that’s it as for my thoughts about BCV hotel. Some may agree, some may not. For those who do not, I will not argue more than I did already. Quite frankly one may have completely different experience even from the same hotel, so as I said at the beginning, read as many reviews as you possible can so less chance to make a mistake.
Have a very nice vacation eh.
PS. Do not hesitate to drop me a note if would like more detailed info.

Room Tip: We liked our room in block 1, quiet but still close to main lobby and not that far from the beach.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at the Blau for 10 days. 4 guys, between 22-29 years old from Alberta Canada. The Resort had a ton of things to do, and a great beach. The resort was clean, safe, and not over crowded. Its a very typical all-inclusive resort. A few down sides, Its about an hour out side of the city. So your essentially stuck at the resort. The only other things around are 2 other resorts identical to the Blau. Cabs are not super expensive, but your wasting 2 hours going back and forth to Holguin city. The city its self is something else. I feel like tourism is just starting to come around, and many locals are not use to tourists. We were hassled non stop from every which way for the hour we spent walking around. I was much more comfortable in Varadero, or even Puerto Vallarta Mexico. Back to the resort. The food at the buffet was better than what i thought, (although we did have very low expectations going there). (BRING KETCHUP AND FRANKS HOT SAUCE!). If the Buffet was closed, the only place to get a bite to eat was the snack bar. It ran 24 hours, but served terrible food. 4 Choices, a "burger" and i use that term lightly, deep fried hot dogs, tuna sandwich, and a "club sandwich", again i use that term lightly. All served with "fries". We upgraded our room for an extra $10 a day. We had access to a bigger less busy pool, that had a swim up bar. We also had a few extra Al-lacart meals and a lobster dinner. Everything was just ok. The worst thing we had was the lobster... It wasn't lobster.... i don't know what it was. I do know it was gross.

If your going from the east coast of Canada, this place is fine enough, as long as you dont have high standards. Direct flight, nice and easy. If your going from the west coast of Canada, like us, (Calgary AB) its not worth the trip. At the airport at 11 pm, for our 1 am flight to Toronto, landed in Toronto at 630 am (Toronto airport doesn't serve liquor 24 hours like Calgary by the way! BS i know), left Toronto at 930am, got to holguin at 145pm. 45 minutes messing around in the airport, 30 minutes waiting for the bus, puts us at 3 pm, 1 hour drive to the hotel, plus an hour and a half to check-in puts us at 530. Were grown adults, and it was a strain to get there, I couldn't imagine having kids or a larger group. And all of that for an average place.

Also it rained for the first 6 days... not the resorts fault, but disappointing regardless.

Go to Mexico.

Room Tip: Ask for a room not attached to the main building. It gets very noisy, as all the late night bars, th...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Bowmanville, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

We went with a group of us, 4 adults and 3 children (5, 6 and 7). I emailed them before we booked to get info on the children's activities and babysitting costs. I was told they had a kids club from 10-5 and extra care was $4. When we got there the kids club was actually only 10-12 and 3-5. The extra care was $8 per kid/hour. Very disappointing as we had planned to do a day excursion without kids. There is no playground or kid specific areas so bring your own toys if you choose to go.
The food is fine with lots of options. You won't starve but you stand in LONG lineups (30+ min) to get something fresh made. Way understaffed. It took 2 hours and 15 min to be served at the Cuban restaurant. By the time we received our dessert the kids were tired and cranky, we had to leave.
Staff was pleasant enough but that is their job, I wouldn't expect less.
The room we stayed in was old and outdated. The front door wouldn't close unless we slammed it (had someone across the hall yell at me about it but told them to take it up with the hotel). We were ground floor and our patio door wouldn't lock. When we complained we were told it would be $10/per person/per night to upgrade.
Maid service was less than standard. I had to go complain to reception to get clean glasses and sheets after the 3rd day and then we never got clean sheets again (I cut my leg and bled on the sheets so I know for a fact).
The beach is beautiful and great for snorkeling. The water is rocky and I highly recommend water shoes. There was a ladder by the dive school so we would go in and out there as I couldn't handle stepping on the sharp rocks. If you follow the path to the right of the beach it will take you to a smaller, secluded beach. We went there almost everyday as you could see all sorts of creatures that avoided the main beach.
Cuba is beautiful and I will go again but I won't stay here.

Stayed December 2013
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2014

I booked the Blau a few weeks before leaving and read amazing reviews. People returning 5-6 times to the resort must mean it was an outstanding resort... WRONG! I can say I am not picky, and I am not difficult but I've been to a 3* in Cuba (Kawama in Varadero) and felt I got the same quality at the Blau, except the upgraded PLUS room of course.

ROOMS: Check-in was quick and we arrived to our 'regular' room. What a disappointment! It was dark, the bathroom was old, super dark and the ceiling was falling apart. Oh, and cold water in the shower as well. I got into my bed to find some sand like the sheets weren't changed. My mother and I wanted to upgrade to the PLUS section but we were told to come back the next day around 4-5pm, we could upgrade for 10 CUC/night per person. We ended up upgrading and it's worth it if only because of the room. We got an higher floor room, ocean view, nice glass shower, etc. The room was always super clean, thanks to our maid.

FOOD: Bleh... Always the same thing, no variety, bland, cold. It's the worst food I've had in Cuba, and I've been about 8-10 times so far. The italian restaurant was good though and the Cuba restaurant was ok as well. The lineup at the buffet were crazy, doesn't matter what time you get there.

SERVICE: Just ok. One or two bartenders were giving amazing service but most staff didn't seem to care, tip or no tip. Sometimes we wouldn't even get wine or coffee when sitting at the buffet. We really did save on the tip this time because there was no way I'd tip for that kind of service. We did tip those who deserved it, of course.

BEACH: I didn't swim in the ocean much, you sort of need water shoes and I didn't bother. It's large and nice though, plenty of space and chairs.

POOLS: They really need more shade at the VIP pool!! I preferred the other pool for this reason.

I wouldn't go back to the Blau. I was expecting a little more. Returning guests were telling us the hotel quality was going down with time. Too bad.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Our family stayed at this resort January 14th -21st .there were pros and cons but all together it was a great trip.First trip to cuba and told that the food was going to be horrible so I expected the worst.In our group we had 24ppl 13 of them were children and nobody starved.I'm also a chef and did enjoy a couple things they had.It is a bit repetitive I just went to one area each day instead of trying to eat everything everyday.I think the kids enjoyed the Italian place the best(pizza)The mini disco for the kids was great it's repetitive which was good so they learn the songs.The shows we did watch we're also very good. The beach was great we did read the other reviews before we went so the water shoes are helpful .there are places where snorkeling was good and you can see the fish.The best bartender was the guy who worked at the swim up bar I wish I remembered his name but very friendly and made the best drinks .we also did an excursion horse back riding the reps don't advertise the smaller ones but so much cheaper 25 for 2 hrs of riding as oppose to 100.I would ask to see all the excursions in their book .
we did notice the older gentlemen with the young Cubans but We didn't care it's not like they were inappropriate and it was late at night .It was a good experience I'd definitely go back

• Stayed January 2014
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

Some people need to calm down a bit. Although this is not the greatest resort, it also is not a 5 star resort either! Here is a summary of the good and the bad during our week of visit:

Front desk - It really depends who you're lucky (or unlucky) enough to deal with. Some staff may be a little straight-forward but most of the front desk staff were very nice, understanding and helpful (and we had to deal with almost all of them).

Rooms - We had a vip oceanview room. However, if you really want oceanview then you must get a 3rd floor room. We were given a 2nd floor room to begin with but changed it to 3rd after a few days because you barely have any view if you are located on the 2nd floor. These were the new blocks so the rooms were clean, tidy, and the maid service was great. Please keep in mind that the walls are super thin and any noise easily gets through so mind your neighbours!

Beach - this is the best beach I have been to Cuba. By far better than the varadero beach and a lot more exclusive. Plenty of fish to see in the waters but definately take water shoes to protect your feet from the coral. Also take your own snorkling gear! Yes, they lend out snorkling gear for free but it is not sanitized. I personally saw the staff put the snorkle gear that I'd just used back up on the wall to be given out to the next person without any sort of sanitization.

Food - there isnt a great variety of food at the buffet but it is not too bad either. Personally, I am never picky about food and as long as there is something to fill me up I don't care too much about anything else. The pizza, calzone, and burgers at the snack bars are pretty good too!

Shows - the shows were great. I would say 5 out of the 6 shows i saw was enjoyable specially the aquatic show and the magic show. Both were very entertaining so I'd suggest not missing them.

Bars - the drinks were good however at times it seemed like you had to wait too long to get a drink so they definitely need to increase the number of bartenders on duty when there is more people at the resort.

A la cartes - I was actually surprised that these were pretty decent for the most part. The lobster and the italian a la cartes come to mind as the best ones.

Pools - Only tried the VIP pool but the water always seemed to be a bit too cold for my liking so I never spent much time in there and preferred to spend time at the beach instead.

Crowd - This resort was almost exclusively full of family/couples/seniors. So if you're looking to party til late night you should probably look elsewhere.

Staff - In general the staff were kind and accommodating. Of course there is always exceptions to the rule anywhere you go. (For example, the bellboy that dropped our luggage off at the room expected a tip and stood there staring at me until he got it).

Room Tip: Get a room on the 3rd floor if you want oceanview.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Hull, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2014

I booked the Blau Costa Verde as a last minute vacation and honestly was not expecting all that much. However, I must say I was pleasantly surprised! The hotel is truly spectacular as is the location!

Room Tip: I was located in Block 47 which is part of the newer section and is quite far from everything, so if...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Resort Catalonia Punta Cana
#76 of 98 in Punta Cana
3.5 of 5 stars 72 reviews
South Caicos Ocean & Beach Resort

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!