“Remember this is still a poor country” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
You added Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero, Holguin 0000, Cuba   |
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
London
“Remember this is still a poor country”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My 29 year old daughter have just returned from this hotel

We are both well travelled and stayed in the 6star Versace Hotel in Australia at the end of last year so were rather apprehensive about staying in this hotel after reading some of the reviews.

Please remember that Cuba is still a relatively poor country so I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel.

There was always plenty of food in the buffet to choose from but, this may not be the hotel for you if you are a Brit looking for burgers and chips!!

Beautiful white sandy beach. Take or hire a snorkel. Feed the numerous fish with a banana from the buffet. No need to go on a snorkelling trip there are so many fish to be seen a few feet away from the beach.

We stayed in one of the news rooms. A few teething problems with the air con and make sure your balcony door locks properly. Ours didn't in the first room but room no. 3 was fine.

Huge new pool with hardly anyone in it most of the time probably because it was their low season.

Weather was very, very hot and humid with hardly any rain. New buffet restaurant in the open which meant lovely views of the beach but, stifling hot at times even at 9 in the evening.

Because we had been to Cuba before and we were only there for a week we only did one excursion. Horse riding, speed boat and a visit to someone's home in the countryside. This was a very humbling experience. Makes you realise just how spoilt we really are with all of our luxuries, gadgets etc,

This is probably only a 3 star hotel but, for the money I paid I had an amazing time. As I said before maybe not for everyone. If you want Carlsberg, burgers and chips for every meal this place probably isn't for you. Stick to Benidorm or Magalluf !!

Room Tip: New blocks are rather a walk to the main part of the hotel but, near the new pool. Make sure your ba...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (458)
  • Polish first
canada- ontario
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This is my third trip to cuba. I've stayed at Blau in Cayo Coco and this is my second time to the Blau. I loved our stay and had a fantastic time but there was some issues I had with this resort.
We booked our trip through Nolitours who were excellent and extremely helpful during the stay.

I've broken down everything and at the end have considerations for future travellers. I would not stay at this hotel in the future based on those concerns. As well as the service and food being very disappointing compared to previous times I've been to this resort and compared to other resorts.
They say this resort is a 4 star and from my previous stay I thought that was modest, BUT after this stay I would say its more of a 3- 3.5 star hotel in need of a lot of work.

Reception: Good but not great. Did seem a bit slow though very helpful.

Rooms: Loved our block section which was in the newer buildings, block 17. It's very nice, clean and just steps away from the new pool, the buffet, and the beach

Maid service/Room service: We often never had our fridge refilled with beverages and our welcome bottle of rum came halfway through our trip. The maids did a good job cleaning but you need to put your towels in the tub/shower for them to be changed and pull the sheets completely off the bed to be changed as well (get rid of sand)

Beach: Lovely, small, beach but that depends what you like for a beach. It's rockyish , so I'd recommend bringing water shoes but it's really great for snorkeling. Tons of fish and corals Loved it.

Buffet Food: It was a rough week but you will something to eat. The food was hit and miss with little to no variety in the week. breakfast, lunch, and dinner was the same. There was a Gala dinner which was by far the best food offered the entire stay with a great selection but it was one night. I kinda believe they get a shipment once a week (day of being the gala dinner) and then as your week progresses the food selection and quality gets worse and worse- and it was never even good in the first place. Mangos are in season and so yummy. By the last two days it was a struggle to eat anything we could stomach.
There is a very great omlette station at breaky, grill at lunch and dinner, and a make your own pasta. They were fantastic, fresh, and very good.

Buffet Service Waitstaff: There is a huge difference between the breakfast staff/lunch and dinner staff. The breakfast and lunch service was horrendous. Usually never got waited on for drinks till we were about the leave and it took a very long time to collect dirty plates. Dinner was much better, different staff.
Buffet Service Cooks (Grill, Omelette, Pasta): These stations are well run albeit a bit slow when it gets busy. The staff are very friendly though that work these stations.

Snack bar: small selection but good, though a bit slow at times.

Al le cartes: They're good. I greatly enjoyed the meals, atmosphere, and service at the italian and cuban resturants.

Bars: Beach- good but has a very small selection of drinks.
Pool: New pool is good but again small selection of drinks. OLD pool: terrible service and sometimes no one is there to serve you.
Other bars (lounge, snack bar): Are hit and miss. One day you'll get a great bartender with a assortment of drinks. Other days they run out of mint, or pina colada mix and have slow service.

Entertainment: I loved the nightly shows they were well preformed and highly entertaining. There was a bit of stuff during the day to participate but it was the same thing ever day.

Overall impression: The resort is lovely but with the additions it comes off as two separate resorts. It is quite large with a bit of walking to get around. The resort is beautiful as it the location with lots of nature (Crabs!) Mostly couples and families at the resort.

CONSIDERATIONS FOR FUTURE TRAVELLERS:
We went during a slow time, the resort had to be only about 30 % and I kept thinking there is no way the beach, pool, buffet, or service will be able to handle the busy season.
The beach is busy right now and small, no way can it handle the busy season without being overcrowded and some not getting umbrellas. Same can be said for the new pool. Additionally if it was busy I think service would suffer all around the resort just because they can barely deal with the small amount of people that were there the week I went. I don't think this will be solved with additional staff but rather training current staff how to handle a influx of traffic.

Room Tip: The blocks 16 and 17 are close to the buffet, right outside the new pool, and close to the beach. Ne...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
ManagementBlauCV, General Manager at Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
We can see that you enjoyed your stay which is great satisfaction to us, even though we agree that there are things to polish and we will keep working to improve our services.

Please if you ever decide to come back let us know.
best regards

Paula Gili. General Manager
dir.general@blau-cv.co.cu
Whitchurch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

all in all good hols beach exhalant activities exhalant on beach and in hotel food just ok but you will find some thing staff exhalant room good but dated but when knew wing finished it will be fine may be to many from Canada for some people but that's a mater for individuals will visit again

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

It was an amazing trip. The people were very friendly, accommodating and hospitable. Despite all the stories we heard about the food it was actually pretty good with a lot of variety. Loved the Cuban Soup and food at the Italian Restaurant. We stayed at the new section and Yoandra is very good at what she does. Miguel the bartender at the new pool was a great guy, went above and beyond to provide what we asked. The beach was great and I developed a new hobby snorkelling. Will be going back soon!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Russia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2013

Typical Blau hotel,originally one four stories building divided in blocks, which are joined by halls though lately new blocks of rooms (bungalow styles) have been added-near the seaside altogether with a new swimming pool with its aqua bar to create a huge resort that can frighten you upon arrival, while checking the hotel map.

Notice that distances are not that big they may seem when checking the scheme,ok?
Spacious, simple decorated but comfortable rooms.
I would recommend rooms 3307/08/09/10 which have sea view. On the fourth floor the view should be splendid, never checked it out though!

Food - well done but little variety and sometimes workers do not refill the trays so it could happen that the best choice has ran out and either you waiiiiiiiit for it to be refill or you better try a better luck with something else.

I can't not understand how is it possible that there is always so poor variety of fruits- mango, papaya and pineapple. Rarely they offer guava and still ananas not always tasty.
If you are a sweet-tooth you better get the " I'll explode"idea out of your mind down here. Ice-cream tasty enough but, once again, with the best of lucks three flavors (chocolate- really strong, vanilla fair enough and sweeeet strawberry), puddings, cakes, etc, etc if with different colors all are the very same. Low season also may incide upon this food poverty (variety).

Service at the buffet restaurant - to work hard on it. There are NEVER small spoons on the table, you have to ask all the time for water, waiters never bring anything right away.

Please note that I am the one always saying the a successful holiday depends on you and not on services or the hotel you are staying at, but here you can get really pissed off. I am really aware that we were not the only clients to serve here but out of 200 guests and pointing out that there were more than 6 waiters in every shift " working" and covering no more than 20 tables ,service should be faster and kind of more personalized, don't you agree?

A la carte restaurants- three: Cuban, Ponticello (Italian), and Mar y Tierra (which offers almost the same you can have a the first two but with astronomic rates. I have tried the first two and though there as little choice as in the buffet, the food and services are much better). I strongly suggest you to apply mosquitoes repellent because all specialized restaurants are on an open space (on both sides of the snack bar, by the pool and by the beachside), and mosquitoes can feast on you while you try to enjoy the meal.

Entertainment- poor, in nine days of my stay I never saw more than three animators and it was because I was mainly on the beach where they used to go " socialize" and announce beach volley or arch shooting in the morning.

Bars- just ok. If you wan a mojito at the beach bar you won't get it done since it is not included in the small list of drinks they can offer to you.

The beach- nice sand strip, rocky in the water though there are certain spots in the water that are sandy. You better bring on bath-shoes. Beautiful water color- turquoise, little waves (it could change of course depending in weather conditions) and a nice view.

There are crabs all around the place, which for me is understandable and enjoyable. This is a natural place so they are in their environment. Don't get mad about it.

Distance to Guardalavaca beach-11 km; to Santiago de Cuba approx 175 km, approx. 2:30 hours, depending on how fast you drive.

Room Tip: I would recommend rooms 3307/08/09/10 which have sea view. On the fourth floor the view should be s...
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. We appreciate you acknowledgement of our positive points and consider your review in general very useful for our work.
If you decide to come back, please, do not hesitate to contact us before hand.

with our best regards.

Paula Gili. General Manager
dir.general@blau-cv.co.cu
Ingersoll, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

March 29 and July 9 - These are the two recent stays I've had at the Blau. I stayed with my spouse in March/April and all of us in July. Yes, I'm a repeat visitor because I like it at the Blau, particularly for the staff. I have paid full price to go there instead of waiting for last minute deals - that's how much I like it. Even at full price, it actually cost me less to have the summer holiday in Cuba, travel included, than the equivalent in Canada. Mind you, their booze isn't so expensive by far.

The Blau is in the process of becoming a big resort. There are a few growing pains going on in getting used to many more guests there such as line-ups for the money exchange and for booking a la carte restaurant and line-ups for coffee at the snack bar. I expect these will be ironed out as the facilities catch up with the new guest rooms. Construction carries on but is not obtrusive at all. I wonder what they will do about the beach. The existing sandy beach isn't so big and the rest of the beach on the other side of the resort is rocky. If you need to lie on the beach, this could be a problem.

I stayed in one of the new buildings this last time, near the lovely new pool. The room is simple and clean and everything works. The new buffet/restaurant is also roomy and clean. Each time I go to the Blau, the food gets better and better. I think it now can compete with what I have seen in Mexico except for the desserts, which are ok. The buns/bread have improved significantly and are now soft and fresh on the inside. The white wine and the very available bubbly are also quite tasty. At no time was my stomach, etc. troubled. For the first time visiting Cuba, I gained 5 lbs. So it's sort of a mixed blessing.

I prefer summer in Cuba over the winter. It is hot but not too bad at all. Much of the tropical fruit like mangoes and papayas and bananas are in season and oh my are they ever yummy! The mangoes grow on these big trees just like apples. Cuba is greener in the summer and there are zillions of crabs everywhere! We went for a tour via one of the taxi drivers and saw a lot of the countryside, much better than the set tours. It cost less too. We were in a 1952 Cadillac - what a gas! Snorkeling is easy: you book a paddle boat (no charge) and go out a ways and see big fish. Bring some bread in a water bottle to really bring them around.

Finally I managed to stay up for a couple of the evening shows which were at 9:30 pm. It was worth it. The dancers were impressive and very talented, the singers were good too. The music and costumes was also excellent. Definitely worth the effort to stay up.

I also liked the summer better because it was not busy. The year-round staff were there, including Anyer, who is very special to my son and has been consistently kind and accessible to him. He's in the health centre. Because of the smaller number of guests and the richness of growth/life in Cuba summertime, I think I'll be going there in the summer only from now on. Oh, but that richness of life doesn't include any particular mosquito problems because they do periodically spray. There are a few bugs sometimes - my spouse wore those plastic bug bracelets on his ankles and they did the trick. The spray isn't heavy or foul.

I found the public relations staff to be also accessible and most diligent in their job. Any concerns? They are very helpful.

They still have those odd almost-double beds which are firm. My spouse and I were able to share one of the beds but we are not big people. My two sons each had a bed as well. I asked for and got more of the nice soft smaller blue pillows which I prefer. If you leave a peso in the fridge, the fridge guy really fills it up for you!

So, folks at Blau, see you next summer!

Room Tip: The newer buildings are better. Nothing broke down.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

We spent 2 weeks at blau june27 2013 to July 12th reading the reviews ppl complain at nothing these days. The crabs yes there are crabs but its in a bay and the staff are always clearing them there is not as many as ppl complained about. We had room in the hotel it needed updating we complained to Barbara and customer relations desk the next day they moved us to new part which was next to new pool amazing rooms nothing was to much for them to help us with our stay. The buffet did have occasional nights diff food yes it got tiring some nights but thats what the cuban and Italian restaurant are there for make sure when you arrive to book your table at them restaurants in advance for your stay. Blau had by far the best beach out of all the resorts tidy, white sands beach bar watersports, towels etc all free. This is cuba and the blau is a 4 star if you think its not good enough then obviously you shouldn't have gone to cuba the people live on very low incomes but are always happy, cheerful and friendly if you think it was not good enuf then get a 5 star i personally have been all over the world including 5star plus in malaysia i thoroughly enjoyed it cuba is full of culture and unspoilt the dolphins are amazing and a must see, only down side is the entertainment is more for kids than adults if your looking for a beach holiday with best white sands and snorkelling clear waters this for you !!!

Room Tip: Until the hotel is updated ask at travel agents to be placed in the new part get confirmation from t...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!