“GREAT vacation at Blau Costa Verde!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort
4.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Pesquero, Holguin, Cuba   |
Ranked #3 of 9 hotels in Holguin
Barrie, Canada
“GREAT vacation at Blau Costa Verde!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2012

I just got home from Blau Costa Verde and I was so impressed with the resort. We ate the buffet for the first few days and were pleased with the fresh pasta being made for dinner and the omelets for breakfast. The Blau went above and beyond with little things like having a Cuban beach party that included cotton candy and a pig roast. Snorkeling right on the property was such an added bonus as doing so outside of the resort can be expensive, but the resort provides all the gear that is needed! The entertainment at night was always different because the resort brings a lot of professional entertainers from the city of Holguin. The beds were a tad firm; however our maid provided a mattress pad without us requesting it and we slept comfortably the rest of the trip. I have already recommended this resort to friends and family since returning home and already want to go back.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

2,049 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Polish first
Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

wonderful place and great people - highly recommend it!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

We traveled for a week for Christmas, me, my wife and our daughter.
We have been to Cuba before, to Cayo Guillermo and Santa Clara. This time we wanted to try Holguin. And it was a good choice.
Everything was fine, we asked for a room with ocean view and we got it, thanks to the reviews that said to email in advance.

The food was good, maybe not so much variety, but was tasty and had nothing to complain. I was impressed with the sweets, really nice. At least three kinds of fresh fruit were always there and my daughter enjoy it the ice-cream.
Because we love to sit at beach we found easier and better to go for lunch to the grill place. They had burger, chicken, pork and fish, some grilled, some dip fried, bud good and more relaxing then the buffet. Waiters were very good, smiling and trying to help. We tipped them because they did their best. At the buffet we seat only outside, fresh air and every evening they have different live music.

The entertainment was very good. The start with the kids show, my daughter could not miss one, was disappointed when the show was on the beach. They have so much variety in the shows that you cannot say they were repetitive. The aqua show was excellent, 5star show, impressive.

The thing that we liked the most was the beach. The sand was perfect to play for kids, and the water clear and shallow. I would recommend for parents with little children. And no wind at all. In the afternoon, the water was lower even better for small ones.
The chairs were brought by a guy that take care of them, perfect idea, because I hate seeing tens of chairs with the towels on and nobody there. And very close you go for snorkeling, which was amazing, first time for me to see so many kinds of fish.

The a la carte we did not tried, we had to attempt to book them but the lady from public relations (tall, dark skin) had maybe the worst attitude that we ever see in Cuba. That did not change our great time at Blau Costa Verde.

Because we have been to 4.5 starts hotels in Cuba before, the only things that we can mention were different and better at 4.5: variety of drinks and more variety of food.

Thanks in the end to all the cuban people for their effort to make us to feel at home. We love Cuba and we will be back.

Overall, we got a very good price for this resort, and I would go back anytime soon, so I will recommend it for sure, special for the families with small children and not only.

Room Tip: Ask for a room in the block 1 with a ocean view, they will accomodate if they have.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2012

just come back from this hotel.excellent.needs a bit of renervation,staff extremely friendly food excellent especially the pizzas at lunch to die for.sailing and watersports excellent,what else can i say want to back already

Room Tip: corner room in own little block
montreal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Hello..
We stayed here from Nov 26th-Dec 4th..2011
Ok first thing...The airport sucks big time when 2 planes land at the same time....You wait in line to pass customs, then go through the door then.... BANG....hundreds of people, no system..just everybody trying to go past the security check ....Only bad part of the trip

everybody knows about the trip to the hotel..how long it takes..etc.

Check in....lots of people....so off we went to the bar....30 mins later(and a couple of mojito's) checked in, took 2 min......

rooms......block 2 facing the back, which wasn't so bad as we were only in the room at night..
Clean room, did have a problem with the super turbo engine on the fridge ...Really LOUD as did a few other people we talked to...............No bugs...clean bathroom...Water did go hot cold for a bit in the shower a few times. we had top floor so the room looked big with the cathedral ceilings...A nice room....Block 2 is closest to the beach..the most it is 2min...the most.....basically it is not a spread out hotel...everything is 2-3 min away(for your average walker).TV worked ..had enough stations for everybody.... Bathrooms were big....but one thing i could just not get used to...check my last pic
Maid service was excellent

Staff...All were excellent ..really...

Food....We were there in low season...but they had a nice spread...some of it repetitive , but overall it was good..Desserts were also good, but not too much of a choice as i would have liked....We never had any stomach problems
breakfast was your standard AI....Only thing i did not like was that all their juices were powdered and way too sweet and fake tasting..No fresh orange or grapefruit juice here...bummer...Lots of bread...lots of bacon
Service was always excellent at the buffet and bars...we never had issues

we went to the Cuban restaurant . which was good..My girlfriend had cuban soup which was very good..and she also had the guts to order a steak....It was GOOD.....i had corn soup which was not as great as the cuban soup

Italian rest....i went there at lunch had a pizza....never went back...i am not a big cheese guy...their cheese is not for me...

One day they had a cuban cultural thing....fresh sugar cane...how to make mojito's..roasted pork....dancing..It was a blast...only thing it only lasted 1 hour...way to short

Entertainment....there was stuff, but not really a lot going on in the day...volleyball..water-polo..but i think i only saw people playing it once..crazy games once a day..i joined in as always...The best activity was the shooting range...10.00 am and 3pm....it was a great meeting place to meet people, and we met some very nice people...be nice to meet them again in future vacationing....

they had 2 good shows during the week..others were standard stuff

Bars...24hr snack bar, bar was a good spot......they make sandwiches and stuff....if you don't like mayo mention it because you will get lots of it in your sandwich....Great service here also
Lobby bar....nice atmosphere..little snacks during the day.. At the lobby bar you can ask for havana club and other (premium) drinks here...Champale(yes i said champale) was not bad at all ..we drank that a lot...must have had 10 bottles or more....
No problems at the bars with booze or staff...The snacks were good here....They had lots of ketchup and hot sauce here.....I noticed now cuba is getting more ketchup and hot sauce to their hotels...lol....

Beach....Beach was good....water was warm..I never used water shoes.didn't have a problem....maybe i have tough feet...lots of chairs....The snack bar by the beach is a nice change......for lunch...

we have been to cuba over a dozen times....this was a good hotel.....and as i type we are booking a group vacation in feb.4-11...and the Blau has a great price...soooooo we might be back there in a few weeks....

Yes i would recommend this hotel
It is way better than any 4* hotel in varadero..well 95% of them anyway....

Also the snack bar is open 24hr so a good capuccino is always not far away;;;;

If you choose this hotel...you should not be disappointing....
meet people and make a great vacation!!!!!!

Room Tip: Block 2 is furthest from the lobby but closest to the beach...2306.....first # is the block..2nd# is...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Owen Sound, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

We travelled on December 29th for one week, over New Year's Eve. We flew with Sunwing and our flight out of Toronto was delayed several hours, due to weather. The flight was enjoyable with champagne, dinner, earphones and free drinks (non alcoholic).

Check in was pain free and the Sunwing rep met with us the following morning to give us information about the resort and our flights home. He was very personable and helpful.

The room was very clean and simple. Given the price of this all inclusive holiday and the research I had done in advance, I wasn't surprised. The bathrooms need updating, but the shower was hot and there were lots of towels. The air con was fantastic, the balcony was shady and cool and the maid did a fabulous job cleaning up. I found the pillows horrible. I would bring my own pillow next time.

There wasn't much construction the first few days because it was around New Year's but the jackhammering definitely kept us awake for an hour or so one night later in the week, as did a cat who was meowing on our balcony one night. We also heard the construction on the beach one day. Not horrible, but noticeable!

The food was fine. We were well fed between all the options available. My son, who can be picky had hamburgers twice at the pool snack bar, but also found things at the buffet every day. We all loved breakfast and we played a game every meal to see if we would be able to find the elusive ketchup bottle! Apparently it's a hard item to keep in stock in Cuba!

The beach and snorkeling were fabulous! The resort was full so we grabbed loungers by 8:30 am every day. Otherwise we would have been out of luck. My son loved the fish on the reef. We had one red flag day. We played pool, bocce ball, badminton, pool volleyball, water polo, pingpong, etc.

New Year's Eve was fun! We had to book a time to dine. We ended up with 9pm, which seemed late but was actually really fun. The resort had so much seafood and wonderful desserts. They decorated the resort with a butter sculpture, fruits and flowers, candles, and a huge ice sculpture.We were given noise makers,streamers, boas and hats. We had mimosas and wine galore. Right after dinner the entertainment began and ended with a huge dance party on the outdoor stage. It rained a little but I found that refreshing.

One morning we went on the Dolphin Swim excursion. You take a bus to a boat and then have time in the enclosures to swim with the dolphins, then a sealion and dolphin show. Drinks at the bar were included. An amazing day. I took about 150 pictures!

I bought bug spray but we didn't need it. Not a mosquito or sand flea in sight. I did see some people with red bites all up and down their legs though. Sand fleas, maybe?

All in all a relaxing holiday and I was satisfied with the food, drinks, pool, beach, service and cleanliness. I would go back to the Blau!

Room Tip: We stayed in Block 4 and it was noisy in the mornings. Choose blocks 1 or 2 for more quiet.
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2012

I travel in Cuba before and for a Blau, this hotel is a deception. We book an hotel with an ocean view (never get it). They offer a compensation, but did we have a choice, no room available. So, the beach was good, the snorkeling is great (specially with the catamaran trip (do not do it with the dolphins or you waist your money).

The Camelon club gives you nothing for the price: 2 bottles of alcohol (cheap one), green towels instead of blue, 1 beach diner ($$$$) and you have to find a spot with public relation and waist an hour to line up to doing it (10 am to 2 PM they are open if they are on time).

Trip outside: Guadalavaca is boring - a market only. We found a good pizzeria on the beach and that's it. It didn't worth the money we spend to go their for the rest.

The food was (as usual in Cuba) basic, repetitive and with a lack of inspiration. A la carte restaurant was good not than more. The hotel is noisy (specially when the evening starts (8 PM to 11 PM) if you have young children - do not expect to sleep well. The beds are very uncomfortable (I know, they change me three times).

They Manager and the General Manager try to help us to get a better stay but they can improve something already low in quality. The employees don't smile (except when they get tips), the quality of work is not equal, some employees do great job and the other do the minimum. So your room will be clean 1 day on 2 at a satisfaction level.

The coordination from the desk and the reservation (public services - absent 75% of the time) is horrible. They book our room to another family and they woke us at 1 AM. If it's not enough, the reception call us 30 minutes later to verify who is in the room. Great no !

They close for reno in April. Good. They need to renew the staff, 75% of them are looking for tips and not the services. They already starts renovations and build new blocks (fin they drill and make construction until midnight - Block 6 - you will not sleep a lot - because the construction area is 40 feeds away of the Mare y sol restaurant and block 6.

My greatest deception is Nolitour agent, she work more for the hotel than us. She make a complaint for me and ask me to sign the complaint with a note: I accept all changes, I accept to do not do any claims or reimbursement to the hotel or Nolitour. Wow ! I do not sign.

If I compare this hotel with the Blau Colonial, even the food was better. So, my advice is: If you want to have a party, not very difficult on food, not picky on quality of the room, beds and cleaning, this hotel is for you. For any other people find something else.

South is now to accessible, they party people rules and family is second. We need to spend more to get something good.

Room Tip: Do not pay for the massage, your husband or your wife do a better job. Kids club: open only 4 hours...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Blau Costa Verde Beach Resort? Share your experiences!