“Second time i Paradisus” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Esmeralda, Crta Guardalavaca, Holguin 007, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 9 hotels in Holguin
Stamford, United Kingdom
“Second time i Paradisus”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

Well what can i say as good if not better than last time.The hotel staff desrve a great deal of prase as this holiday would not be the same with out them. We took our friends and they we very impressed. The only thing that needs changing is the menu in the Royal service , it is not as good as the others. Weather was very good .We will be going back one day but it wont be for a few years. Keep up the good work and best wishes to the staff.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
GMMohamadFawzi, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 18, 2010
Dear Mr. and Mrs. TheBulls008,

Thank you so much for letting other Trip Advisor travellers know about your fantastic second time in our resort! And thank you for recommending us to your friends as well.
Your comment about menu is welcome and I am already looking into it with our Food and Beverage Manager.
Receive our very best wishes from all our staff and I, who will be more than happy to see your faces again not very far in time, please!

3,248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
  • Polish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

We stayed here for our honeymoon. The restaurants are good, with the exception of the Thai which was very basic I thought. Drinks are excellent, staff very good and helpful. Sailing is good. Pool is ok, only the one swimming pool. Room was basic, needed decorating, paint peeling and air conditioning noisy, not many English channels on television. Room service very good. Evening entertainment was good and varied. Excellent gym but the Spa is not good, extremely expensive, more than Champneys in the UK. Main issue was the hotel is in the middle of nowhere, literally an hour's drive from the nearest town which is an industrial place with nothing to see. Literally this hotel could have been anywhere, you'd hardly know it was Cuba. Also it was full of English people, including some quite undesireable characters. Had to pay for internet, cost me more than 3 months broadband rental in the UK for our stay. The day trips are extortionate, same price as a cheap holiday to visit Havana and over a hundred pounds each to swim with Dolphins. We were there for 10 days, and to be honest it became boring after half that time.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. and Mrs. BAN430G ,

Thank you for sharing your opinion about your visit to our resort back in June.
Your comments are appreciated, but please notice that our resort is an ecologic one, and precisely one of its charms, praised by clients, is being located in a natural and unpolluted environment, next to one of the best coral reefs of the Caribbean, and in an area that is not crowded or overbuilt at all, where guests can enjoy the purest nature among sea and vegetation, to be amazed and pampered by great staff, and get free of all stress. And for the ones preferring action, there is a wide range of activities as well as organized tours, some free of charge with our entertainment team, etcetera. We have also started to offer a wider view of Cuban culture, for instance, with a Cuban theme night every week at the buffet restaurant, where guests can taste and enjoy different typical Cuban dishes, followed by a purely Cuban style show and ambience in all the resort, including Cuban costumes being used by our workers all day long on that specific day and decoration in different areas of the hotel.
We would like to invite you to come back and experience the feeling, we will all look forward to your news.

Sincerely yours,

Lithuania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2010

After 10 years of friendship, we finally decided to get married in a place, called paradise. After long searches on intertnet for ideal hotel, we have chose Paradisus rio de Oro and haven't been dissapointed. The main reason, to choose Paradisus, was their gazebo. We wondered, how many wedding hotels are lack of such simple thing like beautiful gazebo on the seashore.
So, after long flight, we were met by Paradisus receptionist with cold sparkling wine and refreshing towels. Also we were greeted by wedding coordinator, who gave me red rose as welcoming gift. Very nice indeed.

ROOM:

We were greatly surprised when our room was upgraded for free to the room with sea view. The room was really big and spacious, with free minibar, stuffed everyday with beer, and soft drinks. The most amazing thing was outdoor shower. It was so romantic to take shower in the fresh air, seeing palm trees swinging their leaves. Also we had 2 shower mates. 2 crabs, who tend to show themselves at night :) There was big double bed in the room, and the matress seemed a little too soft. Everytime my husband turned while sleeping, I woke up because of the matress softness. But it was just a small discomfort, which now seems a bit silly to me. By the way, we found one big cocroach one day. And room service quickly took care of that, by bringing some kind of spray, which we haven't used, just didn't want to have bad smell in the room.

Food:

Everything was just fantastic. The food was so delicious with large variety to choose from. We even were scaried that we gain some weight before our wedding, because we wanted to try every meal :)

Wedding day:

From the arriving we were in touch with wedding coordinator. After telling my wishes and bringing some stuff for decoration, I was really satisfied by what I got. We had cake topper, some kind of ribbon, sea shells etc and if you tell exactly what you want, wedding coordinator makes her best . Just don't forget that people can't read your mind, and if you want something really special, it's better to have a picture to show how you want this or that to be done. Before going to Cuba, we searhed for all possible information about weddings in paradisus, and what I found out, that you should bring all the make up, hair stuff. And it's true. It's kinda strange that such hotel can't afford to buy some make up, hair products for the beauty salon. The girl in hotel beauty salon have very little stuff to choose from. Poor hair products, and make up. So better bring yours.
I wanted to make my bridal bouquet by myself, because what I saw in others brides photos I din't like. I just asked to bring me some roses. I was asked if 12 roses will be enought, and it seemed rather a lot for one bouquet. But when I saw how small those roses were I run to the garden to bring some other flowers to make at least small bouquet. I have never seem such small roses, and of course not very good quality. But, just a little imagination, and I had to my mind very pritty bouquet :)
The weather on our wedding day was more than superb. I was so afraid that it would rain or there will be no sun, but everything was just to the top. There were 24 photos in our wedding package, and the photographer who took photos, was not from hotel. As we understood, the hotel just tell him when to come and take pictures. He had simple camera and was lack of imagination where and how to take photos :D It was fun when everytime he asked maybe we have some ideas of how to take pics. But we jsut wanted to skip that part as soon as possible, because we had our friends with pro cameras. We are really thankful that hotel staff let our friends to take pictures. As we read, other hotels don't let to have your own photographers but in Paradisus we have no problems. Of course we bought for them day pass to enter the hotel territory, which is strictly under supervision of dozen of guards. We even had photosession in the swimming pool. We just jumped there with all our wedding clothes :D Very fun.
All photos that we uploaded are made by our friends.
After long day of photosession we found in the room a bottle of wine, also we all together had special dinner in one of amazing restaurants. Our friends went first and then restaurant manager asked us to wait for a second. And then, she opened the door and we were met by the violinist, and people were greeting us. Very touching.

TIPS:

Well, like everywhere in the world there was tip system. If you give tips you get more attention and if no, you won't be treated so much. As we are young people, and saved for this trip long year, we couldn't afford to give tips everytime we wanted.

In conlusions:

The place is really like paradise. Just try not to pay so much attention to things that bothers you, because after you come back home, you'll forget it. While sitting in the terrace and looking to the sea you realize what an amazing place it is, and how we are happy what we had change to be there.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Ms. moony696,

Thank you so much for sharing your paradisiac experience during your stay in Paradisus Rio de Oro for Duch a special celebration of your lifetime as your wedding!! We were honoured to be chosen as the ideal place for it.
We would love to have you welcome your first wedding anniversary in paradise! and for its arrangements we are totally at your disposal. Please, just let us know.

Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2010

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were treated like royalty. All the staff at the resort are friendly, polite and do a very good job. The rooms are beautiful, cleaned everyday. Such a relaxing place to go, nice and quiet but lots of lovely people to meet and have a drink and a laugh. We met some lovely people from Leeds and Nottingham who like us just had an amazing time!

The food is exceptional! I was quite happy with the buffet, the choice and quality of food is fantastic. There are other restaurants to choose (need to book them) and the best of the lot is the Japanese restaurant. We sat at the show table and had such fun! The chef was amazing and the food was just as good - great experience. Men, please be aware that the dress code is long trousers and shirts (with collar), a few people were caught out and had to borrow clothes!

The beach and the pool area is divine, so clean and relaxing - I just can't wait to go back!

Dear Mr./Ms. Bristols,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments about your stay in our piece of paradise. We will be waiting for news about your next plans. All our staff and I will be very happy to see you again!

Yateley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2010

We recently stayed at this accomodation for a friends wedding and must say the service we received throughout our stay was excellent right from our hotel check in to maid service. The rooms were lovely and spacious with fantastic air condition and bar service. The choice of returants was perfect however a little had to decide where to dine when. The main breakfast buffet room has plenty of choice and variety of food. Evening entertainment and "nightclub" was perfect for out needs. Staff are extremly friendly and helpful all hours of the day. I would highly recommend.

• Stayed April 2010
Dear Mr./Ms. 2littleangels,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments with other travellers in Trip Advisor about your fantastic holidays in our resort.
Please, pass our special greetings to the newly married couple, who we truly appreciate choosing our resort for their wedding, and give us news about your next plans to come back; we will love to see you soon again!

Brighton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

ARRIVAL - My wife and I stayed at the Paradisus Rio de Oro for 11 nights from 20 – 31 July. We arrived about 10am having flown down from Havana early that morning. First impressions of the lobby area were favourable, open air and colourful. Check in was fast and efficient (the early check in was not a problem) and following breakfast the famous long wheel base golf buggy took us to our room. As this was ‘low’ season we were told that the resort was only about 60% full.

ROOMS - A very hospitable bellboy took us to our allocated room– top floor block 39. Unfortunately this room had twin beds so we requested a move to room with a king size bed – strange initial choice by the resort as they obviously had plenty of rooms to choose from! A phone call by the bellboy and around 15 minutes later we were taken to a king size room on the ground floor in the same block. Having read a lot of the previous reports we were not surprised by the state of the bathroom – suffice to say that it lived down to expectation! It was functional but very tired. We informed reception of the immediate problem – the fact that the shower fitting was hanging off the wall and to their credit they had it fixed in about an hour. The rest of the room was fine – large and spacious. My only criticism was the ‘old fashioned’ TV – but hey this was Cuba. The chambermaid was very efficient and very friendly and did a great job every day.

GROUNDS - To be honest our first impressions were not great – the main blocks housed 16 rooms on two floors set in a large tropical garden. The blocks although colourfully painted were not that attractive and together with the golf buggies made me initially think of a set from the Prisoner. The resort is some years old now and I guess that if it were built today they would benefit from a more imaginative design. It was unusual in that none of this accommodation had ocean views – all the blocks were positioned a good distance from the ocean. The grounds were attractive and clearly well maintained but again lacked a little bit of imagination.

RESAURANTS / FOOD – On the whole all the restaurants were of a good standard – we ate in all of them twice and the buffet once. The service was excellent and the food well prepared – the menu choice was good and my wife was happy, as she was able to eat the ocean out of lobsters! Our favourite was the Japanese – the ‘show table’ (Teppanyaki) – good food and lots of interaction! My only criticism was that I found the food a little under seasoned and bland at times. We booked the first weeks reservations via the Internet, which seemed to work OK and had no problems booking restaurants when we were in situ. We generally ate lunch at either the pool or beach restaurants – the BBQ grill at the beach was especially good. Room service was offered 24 hours and proved to be very efficient.

ENTERTAINMENT – Lots and lots of live music in lots of locations – all of a very good standard. Most of the restaurants featured live music in the evening. My only criticism re the music was the lack of Cuban based music – less string quartets more salsa! The evening shows were OK nothing sparkling – we were however impressed with the aquatic show on Tuesday night at the pool – very athletic performers and great tunes. Well worth the walk down to the pool after dinner! Never made it to the disco – boo hoo!

GUESTS - As mentioned the hotel was only 60% full – predominantly Brits and Canadians with a smattering of various other European and South Americans. As you would expect a lot of honeymoon couples and lots of wedding parties – rather them than me in extremely high humidity wearing full wedding attire! Unfortunately we did spot a few football shirts and a sprinkling of England shorts!

WILDLIFE – A fantastic array of birds, reptiles, crustaceans and spiders. We saw all sorts of birds from vultures to humming birds along with about six or seven different sorts of relatively small lizards, large toads everywhere and loads of frogs hopping around the Cuban restaurant. The evening walk back to our room was usually interesting – large land crabs rustling in the undergrowth, toads sitting on the path and on one occasion a spider about four inches diameter blocking our way! Although both of us were bitten by what I assume to me mosquitoes it was not too much of a problem and the repellent seemed to work OK. There were however large quantities of small ants just about everywhere – I was stung a few times around the pool and ended up with a nettle type rash for about 30 minutes.

BEACHES, POOL – The main beach was great – soft sand, clear blue sea and very clean. There were some rocks in the shallows but easily avoided. Plenty of sun beds and shade to be had. Take a trip out for 30 minutes on a Hobby Cat – great fun. The snorkelling was surprisingly good – if you head out to the right of the beach by the rocks you can find small patches of good coral and loads of fish. There are three further small beaches – one for the spa and two for Royal Service guests – these also have patches of good coral and fish but need a bit of finding. There is a large catamaran that stops off the spa every day to let people snorkel! The main pool is very large – not deep – but on the whole very good and clean. There are a lot of sun beds and a sprinkling of four-poster sun beds! We didn’t have too many problems getting one when we wanted but I can imagine if the resort is busier then it may become an issue. There are no floating beds here so if you want one you will have to bring it with you!

EXCURSIONS – The resort offers a daily program of trips out – we chose to do the two cycling trips – don’t ask why! The first takes you up the road to a farm from where you hike up a fairly steep path to the top of a not insignificant hill from where you get fantastic views of the whole coast. Worthwhile but knackering! The farmer was very pleasant and gave us some freshly picked mangoes from his tree in the garden. The second trip was down to the village of Guadalavaca – an eye opener! You realise just how tough the average Cuban’s life is – they have rations for essential goods such as eggs, sugar and rice. You can hire a horse and carriage from near the lobby and there is also horse riding offered at the resort over the blue bridge behind the beach restaurant – we went to see the horses one day and were appalled at their general condition – they are all small and if you do decide to ride please only do this if you are under about 9 stone!! We understand that they need to work to survive but please be considerate to the weight you are asking them to carry! In the whole time we were there we never saw any horses being offered a drink! As with everything else in Cuba it is a tough life!

ROYAL SERVICE – We took time out to view one of the rooms in the Royal Service during the first few days and were very impressed with what we saw. The complex was opened in January this year and offers a very high standard of service. We decide to upgrade for the last few nights and were not disappointed. We were given one of the six cabanas on the lower level close to the shore – the bedroom was huge with an outside patio, huge bathroom complete with Jacuzzi bath and Bali shower. Other benefits include a Royal Service restaurant, three tier private pool and private beaches. Local children usually frequented the far beach but this seemed to work OK. If you are interested in upgrading it may be worth checking either before you arrive or as soon as you get to the resort, as this is proving more and more popular. The ultimate in relaxation! The only down side being that the pool area is not huge and I can imagine that if the RS fills up this area could become somewhat crowded!

SPA – We took advantage of a couples massage offer for one of the days. As well as an hour massage in a cabana over the ocean you get to use the spa facilities for the day – these include a great foot massage, sauna and steam room. Unfortunately these activities are separated for some reason by sex!! Rather odd! There is also a small salt water pool and private beach. Yet again all the staff were extremely friendly and made the place tick – a good choice for a days rest!

TIPS – There was no expectation by any of the staff for a tip – but was most certainly appreciated if you offered one! I took a load of left over $1 bills, which seemed to go down well. There is a bank in the resort which offers a national exchange rate so if you would like to tip, change Sterling into Cuban Convertible Pesos (CUC) and hand out 1 CUC notes. £1 coins are a pain for them to deal with – they need notes to exchange. When you bear in mind that the average wage is around 600 National Pesos per month you realise just how poor this country is – there are around 25 National Pesos to 1 CUC. That works out to about £20 a month! Anything worth buying is paid for in CUC currency – a small washing machine costs 300+ CUC – about 18 moths salary!!

The big question – would we go back? Certainly the people and staff make this resort tick – they are all very helpful and all have a surprisingly good grasp of the English language. The Royal Service was magnificent but to be honest the rest of the resort was a little tired and could do with a makeover! Having said that, in our opinion it is still at the top end of the resorts we have visited and without doubt deserves its reputation in Cuba and is very good value for money. In the bigger picture it lacks a little of the finesse and touches that you get say in Mexico but when you take into account the restrictions of the country they have done a damn fine job. So would we return – maybe!!!!!!

Please mail us if you require any further information. We also stayed at the Parque Central in Havana.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
GMMohamadFawzi, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 19, 2010
Dear Mr. dick001tracy,

Thank you for posting your experience in Trip Advisor. Your comments are always very welcome, as they are so important on our daily work for your satisfaction.
We would really love to have the opportunity to see you again in our haven of piece!
Sincerely yours,

Lancs
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2010

Just returned from a fantastic holiday..

No complaints at all -just a great place.

(Although air conditioning in the main buffet restaurant would make it perfect!)

Scuba diving was really good fun - never done it before and am now hooked!!

Dear Mr./Ms. Volante1,

We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us so much. May we have you with us many more times to repeat your diving experience!! Please, let me hear from you soon.

Mohamad Fawzi

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!