We just got back this morning from the Paradisus Rio de Oro, where my husband and I went to get married. We travelled there with 26 guests, and spent two weeks (10 days at the p.r.d.o, and 5 days backpacking out to Santiago de Cuba, etc).
We were in a Junior suite, which was nice -though the bathroom was a bit smelly. We were supposed to get an upgrade (because we were getting married there) but it never worked out. Make sure you specify what kind of bed you want, as many of our guests (who travelled as a couple) were given two single beds rather than one queen/king sized.
Loved the Japonese restaurant, enjoyed the Cuban restaurant, the Mediterraean (sp??) restaurant is beautiful, though the food was just OK and the International restaurant was good for a change, but not excellent. The buffet was excellent (especially on Christmas & New Years!) and the pool & beach restaurants were good also.
Always easy to find a free palapa, and we were a large group - so it was nice to see that we managed to get spots together that were both in the sun & in the shade. The water was a bit cool, and the beach a bit rocky, but if you walk down a bit towards the other hotel, it's a lot less rocky. My husband tells me that the snorkling was great (just under the wedding gazebo), though I spent most of my time swimming and sunbathing!! The beach is truly lovely.
Nice pool... there were always plenty of spots available to sit and lounge. We got in the groove on beaching it until 4ish-5ish and then finishing off with "Pool Bar Time" before enjoying a late afternoon sauna! The pizza at the pool restaurant is pretty delicious.
We chose to get married on the beach (Playa Esmerelda) and were a bit worried whether it would be private enough. We were amazed and delighted at how the ceremony was indeed quite private (even though on a public beach) and were happy to note that people who were not part of our group were very respectful of what we were doing. I would note that anyone planning a destination wedding, here or elsewhere, ensure that they are very flexible and not too details-oriented. Everything worked out wonderfully in the end, but definitely not "as planned". We were able to tailor the wedding ceremony a bit (my Mom did a small ceremony after the Justice of the Peace was done) which was wonderful. We also brought our own photographer, but paid for the video (worth it!). The only thing I would note is that the lady who does the hair, make-up, manicures, etc works alone. We were a wedding party of 4 + my mother, and spent pretty much the entire day getting everything done (for a wedding at 4PM)... and we didn't all have time to get our hair & make-up done (so we made ourselves at home and worked along-side her!)... I don't think they get many "large" wedding groups.
The flowers were beautiful, it was fun to get picked up in the horse & carriage, and the wedding band trio was delightful.
All in all, it was a lovely day - the hotel (Odalys!) went to great lengths to make it a perfect day for us, and we will certainly remember it forever. P.r.d.o. did a great job. If you are contemplating a destination wedding, I highly recommend this hotel.
We did a lot of excursions, and highly recommend getting a chance to do any off-resort activities. A highlight for us & our guests was doing a jeep tour out into the Province. We all jumped into 5 jeeps (which we could drive, if we wanted) and jetted across Holguin through little towns and on crazy roads. It was a great way to see a bit of the "real" Cuba. ($70 per person)
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel
- Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- ocated in the Bahía de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa.Guest Rooms354 rooms: 254 Junior Suite, 24 Junior Suite Deluxe, 16 Junior Suite Deluxe Ocean View, 2 Suite Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suite Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suite Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suite Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villa Royal ServiceDining8 Restaurants (A la Carta, Buffet), 5 Bars ... more less