“Absolutely breathtaking!!!!!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Holguin
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
You added Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Esmeralda, Crta Guardalavaca, Holguin 007, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Holguin
“Absolutely breathtaking!!!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2005

Hi my name is Rebecca and I just got back from the Paradisus in Holguin on Saturday. I recently married the love of my life on Thursday Jan.27th at the Gazebo over looking the ocean. It was absolutely breathtaking.

To begin my review, I would just like to say that i had extensively researched resorts based on what i thought would be the best place to get married and the easiest. The Paradisus won of course. But i also chose this resort for other reasons. I dont like going on vacation knowing that im going somewhere that is highly commercialized. The Paradisus is approximately an hour away from the Holguin airport, and is set within a lush tropical atmosphere. It is definately not a huge party atmosphere, but its what you make out of it. My wedding group consisted of 13 people, mostly young people like myself (23). We all love to party, and although this resort has a disco, you find after a long day of drinking and doing fun activities; and after watching the evening entertainment, that your too tired to go to the disco. However, i did manage to go there the night before my wedding and get a few dances in.

However, more about the resort. The rooms are absolutely amazing. We had room 3231, one of the superior suites with an outdoor shower that has ocean view, this room was great. I suggest using the outdoor shower everyday. In addition, the size of the rooms are pretty big compared to other resorts i've been to.

Food: I would have to say that the Japanese (Tsuru) is excellent, as well as the chef that cooks it is quite entertaining. The Cuban restaurant was ok, but not the best. The meditteranean was good, probably 3rd best. The El Patio(international) was excellent, my top choice. This is where i had my wedding reception. It is the fanciest of all restaurants, and the food was great. I had the Pork dish, as well you need to try the shrimp in red peppers, really good. In terms of the buffet restaurant, it was so so....better food than in the Dominican. The room service was great, try the Ham and Cheese Sandwich. As for the Pool Bar restaurant...it was good too! as well as the beach bar restaurant. So pretty much, good choice of places to eat for a smaller resort.

Another nice thing about this resort is that there are areas where you can escape and relax while gazing at the ocean (Caleticas). Nice watching the sun go down.

A point of advice too, there arent too many workers that ask you to get involved in things, you kinda have to make your own fun. Like we rented scooters and went into town one day, played water polo, volleyball, went horseback riding (free), Catarmaran cruise $69US, snorkeling right in front of the beach. And some other reviews said the coral was too close to the beach, well i think they were misleading because you have to swim out past your head to get to it, so its not that close.

The beach is gorgeous, nice white sand. You do share a beach with the Sol Luna Dmares resort but everyone pretty much sticks to their side. Paradisus members are allowed to use their amenities but they are not to use the Paradisus.

The entertainment was so so, there was one night where they had a dance competition that my friend and i entered in....dont do it...although it was fun; the competition is rigged because both my girlfriend and i are excellent dancers and we were told at the end that the winner was chosen before the competition even began. So its kind of unfair; but still fun. Futhermore, there was a back to the 60's and 70's night where a really good band came to play. They were really good. It gave everyone a chance to get up and dance (fast and slow).

Now a few tips if you plan on getting married there. Definately rehearse, because your wedding coordinator does not set that up for you. I rehearsed with my wedding party the night before, however, two minutes before i was to walk down the isle, the wedding coordinator changed everything on me and it made everyone confused and turned into a big mess. So what ever you do dont let them take over. It is also hard to communicate with them when they are spanish. Furthermore, know where you want pictures with the photographers, because they dont communicate well and know alot about good photography...so make sure you pick out some nice spots and know some poses you want taken.

Also, book wedding day time well in advance, because i was stuck with getting married at 1pm right in the dead heat of the day..then i had to wait around until 7pm to eat dinner (when most of the restaurants open). The best time would be 4pm. Remember you also have to be in the country 3 business days before you can get married.

I can go on and on about how much i loved this place and what went on during my wedding day and what could have been improved. But overall i loved this place and my husband and i have plans to come back for our anniversary in the future.

If you want to know anymore about this resort please feel free to call me (705)494-9054 or email me at sniperwoman@hotmail.com

I live in North Bay, Ontario , Canada

paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 3 weeks ago
Old review, thank you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (750)
  • Polish first
Alberta, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2005

We just returned from Paradisus, the property was beautiful, food was great and the entertainment exceptional for an all - inclusive. wished we had taken some Febreeze as the room was quite musty smelling, just noticed it upon entering every time and then you got used to it. We did have a problem on departure however when we were asked to pay $30 for breaking leg on the night table. The leg on the night table was broken the day we arrived, we didn't feel it was important to have it repaired so didn't report it, I'm sure it had been broken for some time, it was propped up with a stick. It took some time to have the charge reversed, two hours later as we were boarding the bus my husband was called back to the front desk to say that we needed to pay for 2 missing towels. Two handtowels had not been replaced on our second day there when we returned to our room, they were replaced later in the day, we just assumed they had run out and replaced them later. He firmly told them that we had not taken any towels and that we weren't paying for them and that the bus was waiting for him and he wasn't discussing it with them anymore. So if anything is damaged or missing report it to the front desk to avoid this kind of situation.

• Stayed January 2005
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2005

My husband and I visited the Paradisus Rio de Oro from 29th December 2004 - 13th January 2004 for our honeymoon.

I have prievously worked for 5 years as a flight attendant for Virgin Atlantic Airways and have been fortunate enough to travel far & wide (working & holidaying) staying in many 5* hotels.

Our honeymoon cost 4000 pounds and the simple fact is that the hotel did not justify the expenditure. If we had spent half of that amount we would have been perfectly happy with the Paradisus de Oro, but spending the amount we did on our honeymoon meant that we expected some special 5* touches.

Our room was suite 2831. The room felt shabby and dark, the promised sea view could hardly be seen through a thicket of trees. The bathroom was tired and dated. As the room was surrounded by a wood you would get countless creepy crawlies and spiders in the room. To top it all off, there was no way we were going to have a romantic outdoor shower as the drain stank of eggs and it felt unclean. I would definitely recommend that if you do book a suite you go for the rooms on the green, as at least they are bright and have a nice view.

The restaurants are all done out nicely (especially the Japanese and the Mediterranean). I would give the food 7/8 out of 10 except the Japanese where we found the food to be excellent. You are allowed to book the al a cartes 4 times per week.

Be aware that you are not able to get bottles of water from the pool and beach bar but we found that we were able to always get a bottle of water at breakfast to take with us to the beach.

All of the beaches were lovely.

The Paradisus Rio de Oro does have some good points but overall it does not feel plush or luxurious enough to grant a 5* rating and the cost involved for this hotel.

I just wanted to write an honest review of how we found this hotel to be. If you can get yourself a reasonable deal then go and enjoy yourselves!!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2005

Well what can I say..... This resort is exactly what the other people described in their reviews. It is amazing! I would strongly recommend this hotel for anyone that is getting married and wants a resort to be the venue. Odaly's is the wedding co-ordinator in the hotel. She is very helpful and will do everything it takes to meet your needs, wishes and requests.
The resort offers amazing food.......and the Jpanees restuarant is probebly the finest Japanees food I have ever eaten!!!!
Beaches are fine, a litlle bit of coral in the ocean so recommend bringing water shoes.
Overall, a great place.....
If you want some more info, email me @ karineandcraig@hotmail.com

Cheers,
Craig

Dundee Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2005

Hello, we are Jack and Hazel and returned 19th January 2005 after our first visit.
I had done my reseach before hand choosing this hotel but nothing prepared us for what we found.
It is like paradise on earth. Our rooms were spacious and bright, beautiful furniture, Joss sticks to burn,c.d.player, fab t.v. filled fridge each day, though leaving some money in the fridge resulted in it being very full.
As read the grounds were fantastic, kept dilligently by friendly gardiners.
As on some holidays at pool or beach you feel as if you are on top of everyone, but not here,the best sunbeds ever, well laid out pool area with plenty little hideaways to cool down all draped in lovely white cooling curtains.
Beach sand as white as we have ever seen, again fab sunbeds and at the beach, husband went of sailing, I went for a massage in hut 1 where the floor is glass and you look into the clear water below, very decadant, please try it. Beach bar and resturant fresh cooked lunches served at tables with tablecloths and silver cutlery, also look out for Roberto he is a super guy.
We are not fussy eaters so food was not to be a problem but what an array of fresh, numerous, delectable choices in the buffet resturant,
the thinnest, freshly baked pizza ever do try. There are 4 more resturants all with something different and fantastict to offer in each.
Entertainment was excellent and when the show is over and the musicians finished go and boogie at the disco bar where you will find Eddie he is a character, if you see him tell him Jack will send him his hat.
Last but not least, the staff, they have to be the most generous with their paitence, time, smiles, and good nature, truly nothing was a problem if it ment your holiday go any better, please, please,please,
tip them it is so little to us but so much to them.
Well thats it only you will find yourselves making lots of Canadian friends they were all so friendly and really interested about us and where we came from. Diet starts to-morrow.
We will be back, starting saving today.

Jack & Hazel Monifieth, Dundee, Scotland.

• Stayed January 2005
Toronto, Ontario
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2005

I decided to try the Dominican for a cheap last minute trip last week.
I wanted to be able to honestly say which island is better.
After seven days in DR, there is no comparison.
The Paradisus set such a high standard (you're paying $1600 for a five star, not $5000+ so set your standards accordingly).
If the jacuzzi is cold, deal with it.
If the service isn't perfect, deal with it.
I think people set their standards too high and expect service that is unrealistic for what they're paying.
At the swim up bar you have premium Canadian liquor, you have room service 24 hours with excellent food, you have a beautiful (albeit somewhat short beach), food is great everywhere, you'll figure out what you like after a couple of days but eating on the white sand beach looking out at the beautiful turquoise ocean is unbelievable.
I have been to the Paradisus twice and will likely return in August.
The staff are incredible, the resort is beautiful, the water is perfect (although there is some coral), you won't be disappointed.
I spend a week at a resort with a brown beach, murky water and garbage strewn everywhere.
Never again DR, Cuba si.

New Brunswick
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2005

Well I would like to say that this resort is one of the best if not the best resorts my husband and I have been too. We arrived at this resort the second week it opened and fell in love with the people, food, surroundings and style.
In October we went to a resort in Cayo CoCo and we were disappointed in the service and the food as well as the people. The one thing we enjoyed was the weather.
We have been to quite a few places. The things we look for in a resort are happening at Rio De Oro. This well be our seventh year going to this resort and we cannot wait to see what surprises are waiting for us in March.

Old review, thank you

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!