“Fantastic place” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

You added Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Esmeralda, Crta Guardalavaca, Holguin 007, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Holguin
Toronto, Canada
“Fantastic place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Fantastic resort , we went on the Royal Service package Air Canada Vacations and it was well worth it. From the moment we arrive at the airport till the day we left we enjoyed every minute of it.

The service was great, the staff was friendly and dedicated, they look after every detail to make your stay memorable. Starting from the mayordomo, he looks after you by guiding an explaining all that is available to you, arranges all your bookings for the a la carte dinners, all special requests and makes sure that everything you need is taking care of. Also in the front desk there is always somebody to help you in in any way they can.

The staff at the restaurant were great, they went out of they way to serve you. Overall the food was very good, a la carte or buffet there was a good variety well prepared and the presentation was very good.

Our room exceeded expectations, it was very clean and every little detail was looked after. Great outdoor shower, jacuzzi, walk in closet, etc. Overall very comfortable room and friendly maids .

The service at the private beach and pool was great, from drinks, snacks, towel service. If you need it a ride any were within the resort all you have to do is call and you get picked up within minutes in a golf cart.

Paying extra for the Royal Service package is well worth it.

Thank to all the friendly and wonderful staff, we had a wonderful time and we can wait to go back .

Muchas gracias

Richard B.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 3, 2014
Dear Richard B,
It has been a real pleasure to read about your amazing holidays recently spent in our Royal Service, and how you have enjoyed them! We are delighted to read we have exceeded your expectations and will be looking forward to help make you live your experience again!
Sincerely yours,
Lorenzo Rubio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Polish first
Bradford
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Just had my wedding at the paradisus in holguin on June 11, 2014, so here is my review:

The wedding:
I booked it a month before my wedding date, it was a last minute idea and this was the only resort in cuba I wanted for my wedding, anyhow they were able to accommodate me/my wedding and my guests which was amazing at such late notice. The prices of the wedding packages are unbeatable, it's way more expensive in Mexico or Dominican Republic. Our entire wedding including about 200 pics and an edited video, and a private dinner in the wedding gazebo cost about $1500 canadian. The pics were great, I was a little nervous that the quality would be lacking but I'm very happy with the end product. The gazebo is absolutely beautiful and very private, unlike other resorts where weddings take place on the beach next to bikini-clad guests. The location of the gazebo is right on the ocean on a cliff and it's lovely! I was probably the easiest bride to work with as I had no special requests, except that I wanted red and white roses, which they did for me! My bouquet couldn't have been more perfect, it was exactly what I pictured. My point is that although I was very easy going, I certainly have no complaints about the wedding services at the paradisus, it was more than I was expecting! I would absolutely recommend this resort for weddings, my only advice is to make sure the bride and groom and their guests dress very lightly, no traditional wedding attire, it can be very humid in holguin in june! Or don't have it June, plan for nov-April (might cost a lot more tho).

The resort
This resort is really great, I was expecting a beautiful location and that's what I got, it is very picture perfect, the beach is phenomenal (I didn't visit it very much because the salt water was making me nauseous) but it was amazing for snorkelling just with your own goggles on the beach, bring water shoes of you plan to do that tho, not necessary but you'll be really glad u have them ($8 Walmart), or there's sandy areas for people who just want to swim. The rooms were great too, no complaints at all really, we stayed in royal service which was really nice but our guests stayed in the regular junior suite section and their rooms, while a little less modern/fancy, were really nice as well, no complaints from anyone! All were pretty impressed! The service at this resort was definitely what makes it such a memorable resort, I have never seen or met resort staff so friendly and helpful before, and I mean friendly! They go above and beyond what their job requires. The Cuban people were very nice, they get a lot of Canadians at the resort and they love us! Please always remember to tip! We always make sure we have money set aside for tipping as in cuba especially they really appreciate it. As for the food, My whole party agreed it was good, but like every resort, things are very hit or miss, I think one thing that could be improved is the juice at breakfast needs to be kept cold, it was always served warm/room temperature, of course you can easily get ice, it's just a little weird. And yes, Heinz ketchup is not really available ( although at some places in the resort they had some....? It didn't make sense) but they do have ketchup and of tastes like ketchup so no need to bring your own bottle like I did lol. Overall it's a great resort, definitely one of the best in cuba and I would recommend it to anyone, and don't forget to try the mopeds ($18 rental) and the catamaran cruise that includes snorkelling and swimming with the dolphins and lunch/drinks for $100......

• Stayed June 2014
Dear Cfulford87,
Thank you for giving us the honor to arrange such an important occasion in your lives as your wedding and to make it the wedding of your dreams! We are very glad to know you enjoyed every minute. We truly hope to have you back, maybe for your 1st wedding anniversary! And please, do not hesitate to let us know as you make plans. Thank you very much again.
Sincerely yours, on behalf of all our management and staff,
Lorenzo Rubio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

Wonderful adults only retreat and excellent staff, so friendly! Our room was lovely, we had the Junior Suite which was supposed to be the cheapest but it was perfect for us. We were delighted when we arrived at nearly midnight to hear we had 24hour room service and my husband said it was the best salmon he's ever had! He particularly enjoyed the free scuba diving and I loved the morning yoga overlooking the turquoise sea and the nature hike. Beaches were immaculate and the food was superb. Iv'e been to Cuba four times now and usually the food is "ok" even for 5 star but this was fantastic every night. We will definitely go back. Also delighted that despite our flight being delayed 7 hours, Sunwing paid for us to stay in our room until 11pm. Thanks Sunwing!!

Room Tip: Our room was lovely, block 38, ground floor. Ideal location to the beach, pool and restaurants but a...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
PRO_Managment, Director General at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 24, 2014
Dear Julie W,
Knowing about your enjoyment in Paradisus Rio de Oro makes us very happy. Your satisfaction and relaxation is the reason we work for. Thank you so much for your review in Trip Advisor. Your opinions are very important to us. It will be an honor to have you back soon.
Very best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Had a wonderful time..clean...friendly service..great food..also has an excellent food and beverage manager (Carlos) who is very involved and takes a special care of his guests ,try it ....you will love it

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Sergio S,
Thank you so much for your comments. We are glad to know that you enjoy your stay in Paradisus Rio de Oro and we would love to have you back soon. I will give your greetings to Carlos.
Best regards,
Vienna, Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

We enjoyed a 3 night stay here during our trip in June 2014. It was a very relaxing stay. Although our room was starting to show its age, it was still very comfortable with a huge double bed. The gardens and beach area are very well kept, although the pool is in need of renovation. The sea is crystal clear and you just have to go out a few metres to the reef to see beautiful tropical fish. The food was outstanding in all of the restaurants we visited. There is an immense range at the buffet. There is show cooking at the Japanese restaurant which was good fun and very tasty. The food at the international restaurant in the Royal Service part of the hotel was excellent. We were a little disappointed with the service here - when we asked what type of white wine they were serving, they answered 'Spanish'. The waitress knew no further information, which we would have expected in this restaurant in particular. We were also left sitting in front of our empty main course plates for 20 minutes. The waitress saw us several times and chose to ignore us. When we asked for our plates to be cleared, she still didn't do so, therefore we decided to leave. It was an unfortunate end to an otherwise lovely meal. Otherwise, we enjoyed the cocktails in the lobby bar and especially recommend the Mojitos and Frozen Pina Colada.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear AlbertB02
Thank you so much for your review. Your comments are very useful and important to us. I have already discussed the issue that you have mentioned with the department involved and I apologize for not giving you the proper service. Anyways I can assure you this will not happen again. Apart from this, I am glad that you enjoy you stay with us, and I truly hope to have you back to this slice of paradise soon.
With very kind regards,
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

Royal Service is the place you want to go if you want true relaxation to recharge. I have stayed there 4 times in the last 3 years and it never disappoints.
Paradisus Rio de Oro Royal Service is the best choice in Cuba if you are looking for the following:
- a place that safe, secure, very quiet, and private
- great attentive staff
- amazingly beautiful quiet private beaches
- an excellent variety of well crafted healthy meals
- the place to perfect the "art of doing nothing"
- a well equipped gym
If your choice is Cuba, the extra cost of staying at Royal Service is well worth it.

Room Tip: Any where in Royal Service is excellent.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear CanadianCitizen
We are delighted to know about your very relaxing holidays in our Royal Service. We appreciate that you keep coming to Paradisus Rio de Oro after four times and give us the opportunity to welcome you as part of our family you already are. We are looking forward to have you back soon.
Kindest regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2014

2 weeks stay from 3 June. Very warm welcome and was a sure sign on what we could expect for the duration. Staff were amazing and always had a smile. Nothing was too much trouble and you were made to feel at home. Rooms were spacious and comfortable, maids done a fantastic job. Food was a plentiful, good variety. Ala carte restaurants each had their own merits. Japanese is a must and strongly recommended. Diving is included and the dive centre is very well run and with good equipment. Will be back next year

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Jules1012,
We truly appreciate your review. Your comments make us very happy, because we met your expectations and we made of your holidays in Paradisus Rio de Oro a memorable experience. We would love to have you back next year. If there is anything we can do for you, do not hesitate to contact us.
Best regards,
Lorenzo Rubió
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Coral Sands Hotel
Coral Sands Hotel
#5 of 10 in Harbour Island
4.0 of 5 stars 338 reviews

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!