We just came back from a wonderful week at the Paradisus de Oro . It was our 4th trip to Cuba, but our 1st trip to Holguin. It didn't start out well, with a 5 hour (strangely unexplainable) delay in our flight, which meant we didn't arrive at the hotel until after 2 am. We were greeted with a swift and friendly check-in and a soothing glass of champagne. We also had a drink at the all-night bar, as well as food and chatted with the always friendly night staff...what a great way to start a vacation!
The room was lovely, a little dated maybe, a few dents in the floor and some deterioration in the bathtub, but large and comfortable, with a huge balcony. However, we spent very little time there, preferring to take in all the sights and sounds that were available...and there were many!
The beach at the Paradisus is beautiful, very clean, and always a chair available. We took advantage of the available watersports, particularly the Hobie Cats...once again, the staff was friendly, courteous and helpful.
Like the beach, the pool area was also clean and lots of deck chairs. Yes, there is a little paint peeling in the pools, but if you have the time to notice and frown at something like that, you really need to visit a wealthier country than Cuba! The bar staff was a lot of fun, and there was always an activity available if you get bored soaking up the sun.
The food...mmmmmm.....in a word, fantastic!!!! Always an amazing selection, always hot and fresh, and lots of options ready to be made right in front of your eyes. This refers to the buffet. We only tried 2 a la cartes, but highly recommend the Japanese restaurant, tons and fun and a great ambience.
We were lucky to link up with one of the wonderful horse and buggy "cowboys", Fidel, that are available at the front of the resort. He took us on 2 excursions to some of the small towns and villages that surround the resort areas as well as an amazing hike to the Indian caves buried deep in the Cuban forest. I would highly recommend this type of adventure, and this particular guide! We also visited an amazing off-site restaurant, one of the many small businesses that have been initiated by Cubans since the rules have loosened. La Maison is well worth the trip!
One of the highlights of our stay was the Beach Party , very well run by the Activity staff at the Paradisus. Nothing quite compares to dancing under the stars, next to the ocean, to an enticing array of authentic Cuban music.
We took this vacation with another couple, all of us in our late 40's-50's. We loved the resort for many reasons, it isn't a huge party spot, but if you are looking for music and fun, it is certainly available. We all fell into our beds each night, pleasantly exhausted from sun, fun and adventure.
I have read some of the other reviews and yes, the resort is aging and needs a little TLC but that is a small issue from my perspective. If you are looking for sumptuous surroundings and being pampered hand and foot, maybe try Hawaii instead of Cuba. We met people who were at the resort for the 14th time and I totally understand why they keep coming back. The staff, the ambience, the food, the energy, and especially the utter beauty that surrounds you keeps people coming back.
And oh yes, I almost forgot, make sure to visit the spa while you stay, you won't regret it!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the Bahia de Naranjo Natural Park, in Playa Esmeralda, on the northern coast of Holguin province. Five-Star Ultra All Inclusive Eco-Resort with 354 rooms. Conceived only for adults aged 18 years or more. Maximum comfort and perfection in its private Royal Service area for a fabulous experience in a world apart. Recommended for weddings, honeymoons, incentive trips and wellness/spa.Guest Rooms 354 rooms: 254 Junior Suites, 24 Junior Suites Deluxe, 16 Junior Suites Deluxe Ocean View, 2 Suites Deluxe, 36 Master Junior Suites Royal Service, 14 Master Junior Suites Ocean View Royal Service, 6 Master Junior Suites Luxury Royal Service, 2 Garden Villas Royal Service. Dining: 8 Restaurants (A la Carte, Buffet), 5 Bars. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort And Spa
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Hotel Holguin
- Paradisus Hotel Guardalavaca
- Rio De Oro Paradisus
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Cuba
- Hotel Paradisus Rio De Oro
- Paradisus Rio De Oro Resort & Spa Cuba/Holguin