“A little paradise, but with improvements to be made” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa

You added Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa to your Saves list
Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa
5.0 of 5 Resort (All-Inclusive)   |   Playa Esmeralda, Crta Guardalavaca, Holguin 007, Cuba   |
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Holguin
Uccle, Belgium
“A little paradise, but with improvements to be made”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We stayed for 6 nights in a Junior Suite and we really had a very good stay. The room is very nice, comfortable and spacious, although the bathroom could be modernized. The food in the buffet restaurant was very good, sometimes a bit more variation could do good. The quality of the specialized restaurants was below the 5 stars of the hotel. The menu they served actually is just using the food that is in the buffet restaurant, we also had in one restaurant (where we had the late service) the experience that our food was each time reheated in a microwave. Most people of the staff are very kind. The quality of the drinks served in the bar is high. The quality of the drinks at the pool could be improved (a pity that often it wasn’t possible to have a mojito there).

But for a 5 star hotel they should improve several items: some of the outdoor lights in our building were broken, the outdoor light on our terrace was missing so in the evening you didn’t see a thing. On practically morning we had difficulties to have clean towels, the pool bar was out of stock and new ones only arrived at +/- 10h30, totally not done I believe! Letting guests lay down on dirty towels isn’t 5 start quality. The way to the tennis courts is used a bit like a dump: old sun umbrellas, dirt, etc.

So there are surely improvements to be made as the hotel needs to keep up with their 5 stars. But in general we were very satisfied with our staying and would definitely recommend it. Oh and the spa is a bit overpriced! Even more expensive then in Belgium.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 1, 2014
Dear Jolijnvan
We really appreciate you recommend Paradisus Rio de Oro in TripAdvisor. It is true that there are some things that need to be reconditioned, for instance the swimming pool, which will be renovated in the near future and bathrooms that are already in the modernization process. Sometimes we have some troubles with suppliers that are beyond of our possibilities, but it only occurs in rare occasions. Thank you once more for all the suggestions you made, we would love to welcome you back soon.
All the best,
Lorenzo Rubio

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (879)
  • Polish first
Bournemouth, Dorset
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

We have just returned from the Paradisus (7th Jan 2014) and had an amazing time.

The hotel is lovely as are the staff and the food. Ok some of the rooms could do with a bit of polishing up (particularly the bathrooms) but nothing horrendous. On arrival we were met with a glass of champagne and a cold flannel and then taken to our room by golf buggy.

We actually moved room as it had twin beds - as it was Christmas the hotel didn't have any double rooms available that night but moved us the next day which was fine.

The beach is lovely as is the pool area. we actually spent most of our time on the beach - but beware it does tend to lose the sun by about 4pm. Just a good excuse to walk to the pool bar and grab a drink before getting showered and changed for dinner.

We took shoes to wear in the water (thank to whomever reviewed that) and they were great. The snorkelling is amazing at the main beach and you don't have to go out very far to see loads of fish - take a bread roll from breakfast and you'll be surrounded. There are some rocks not very far out and the best fish are around there - you can still stand up (hence the shoes being great).

All of the restaurants were good - the buffet is amazing but particularly on Xmas Eve and NYE, they really went to town with their desserts!

We liked all of the restaurants eating in the Japanese twice, Mediterranean twice and the Cuban twice. You have took them in advance but that's easily done via the separate desk in the lobby - you can book 3/4 days in advance. Be warned though if the hotel isn't full they don't open each restaurant every night. The one we didn't really rate so much was El Patio - but that could have just been a bad experience. The food was nice but the service wasn't as good as in some of the other restaurants.

On NYE we managed to upgrade to the Royal Service. We had wandered up there to see what it was all about - it really is like a separate hotel within a hotel. It has its own bar, and restaurant as well as 3 tier infinity pool and private beach - which you can only use if in RS.

How anyone can say its not worth the upgrade is beyond us. The room is bigger with a big outdoor shower (Brilliant). Thanks to Roger our amazing bellboy who showed us a room on Boxing Day (so that we knew what we would be getting if we did manage to get an upgrade) we actually got a private villa with a fountain out the back. When we turned up on NYE morning to see if they had any rooms free Norma (RS Manager) told us they had availability but were waiting for the travel agents to allocate the rooms back to them. We were very polite and said not to worry if they couldn't upgrade us. Roger came and found us mid afternoon to say that they had a room free if we wanted it! We spent 6 happy days in RS - but you can still use all the facilities of the main hotel as well.

We ate in RS restaurant on NYE - a 5 course dinner that was lovely but too much for us! The special gala menus (Xmas & NY) were the same in all the a 'la carte restaurants.

WE loved the beach bar - they come to your bed with drinks and bring round canapés - the guys are really chatty and very polite.

We also organised one of the small boats from the main beach to come and take us from the RS beach out to the reef for some snorkelling (thanks to the lifeguard for this recommendation). I am not a very strong swimmer but life jackets were provided. We were out for an hour and gave the guy around 30 CUC's for his time as well as tipping the life guard.

We did 2 organised tours - 1 was the Catamaran trip and then the safari on Fidel Island - good fun although the snorkelling wasn't very goo - it was very cloudy. The safari was brilliant and you get to see Zebras, Antelopes, Buffalo and Giraffes!

We also did the jeep safari - not as well organised to start with but it was ok. You get to drive a jeep (we were with 2 Canadians). Be warned you do go through some small villages and the local kids come out for gifts. We didn't have anything but other people (there were 7 jeeps in total) had taken bags of lolly pops from home - make sure you have 1 dollar coins or notes or take some sweets with you from home if you want to do this trip. You really get to see how they live!

As part of the trip you get to drive a speed boat for 30 mins which was great fun. Then back in the jeeps. This was the bit that we didn't really enjoy so much - you get to go on horseback (I didn't and went in a horse and cart with another lady) but in our opinion its something of nothing.

You have a typical Cuban lunch with 1 drink included and then go to where Christopher Columbus landed - there is an Indian dance which they encourage you to get up and take part in (no thanks)

Then a bit more off roading before going back to the hotel.

We also took a taxi from the hotel to Guadalavaca market (every day other than Sundays) - there is nothing else there other than the beach so an hour is fine. We wandered the market and bought some jewellery and then went and had a drink on the beach. The taxi cost about 3 CUC's. We asked the taxi driver to take us into the "town" which he did on th way home - fascinating to see how and where they buy their food.

We both run our own businesses and were concerned about the Wi-Fi. You buy a Wi-Fi card for around 1.50 CUC and that gives you an hour - you can only use the Wi-Fi in the lobby area. Some days they ran out of cards and sometimes it didn't work but for what we needed it was fine! if you need to work a lot on a computer then it wont work for you!

You do get to see a lot of wildlife, geckos etc. but def. more in the RS area - we saw a massive crab on the path at night as well as a scorpion!!!

The only small negative on the trip and its just us is that the cups at the beach and pool bar are very tiny - a lot of people had taken larger chiller cups from home! But that's just us being lazy and having to get up and get drinks every 5 mins - its not a big deal in the scheme of things. Also you cant get Bacardi (although you can get local Rum).

We had a couple of power cuts and it did rain a lot but mainly at night.
I cant really recommend Cuba or the hotel enough - if there weren't so many other places in the world to see then we would go back!

Room Tip: Royal Service rooms are worth the upgrade in our opinion. The corner rooms in the main hotel blocks...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PRO_Managment, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Dear Helen S,

Thank you so much for your comments. It is great to know that you spend a beautiful time with us. Our staff is really proud because of your satisfaction, we work in order to make your holiday unforgettable.
Please it will be a pleasure for us to have you back, do not hesitate in contact us in advance and we will take care of all your booking datails.

With warm regards from sunny Cuba,

Lorenzo Rubió
Kitchener, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2014

I was there the first week in December of 2013. This was the first time I travelled alone. I was a little nervous at first. I have a thing that I do whenever I travel to exotic places - an urge to go toward the ocean and so I did as I always do. It's already dark out when I arrived at the resort. I used the flash light from my cell phone to navigate my way to the beach. There were couple of security guards - one at the entrance to beach and one at the boat house. So right away, I felt a little more at ease as I was assured that it's safe for me to walk the beach. I don't recommend go to the beach at night without any light source. The resort was built on a cliff with uneven surface so be careful.

I love the layout of the resort, it's absolutely stunning where the resort is situated. Take a walk around and take in the view. It will take your breath away.

I room is very spacious and clean. The only complain I have is the bed is bit hard. Oh and the bathroom could use some tender loving care. But everything works so no problem there.

I'd like to thank all of the staff at the resort from taking such good care of me. Worth mentioned are Donnie (from the entertainment centre), you rock! Thanks for the unforgettable 2 - half day trips to the ecological park and the seaside town. I've learned and gained so much appreciation for Cuban people. For those who are planning to go to this resort, I just want to bring to your attention that the resort has a few fascinating excursions that they run every day of the week and it's worth checking it out.

Many thanks to all of staff at the beach bar & restaurant and especially, Roberto. Thank you for all you do and for making my last day one of the most memorable moments of my life. Leaving a beautiful place in paradise was difficult enough, saying goodbye to the friends I've made was even harder. My friends and I are still keeping in touch and we could not wait to see each other again whether in Canada or planning another trip in paradise somewhere. Life is too short so live it up and enjoy the ride. I most certainly had an opportunity to experience what one of my friend would put it, "a magical madness!" Hope you enjoy yours...

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ping G,
We are so glad your staying at Paradisus Rio de Oro was memorable and we truly hope to have you back soon. We are already making some renovations in the bathrooms. Thank you so much for sharing your review in TripAdvisor.

All the best,
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2014

Would I go back to this hotel absolutely.
Food was absolutely fabulous. We visited all the restaurants and there all of them were great.
Service was great, pleasant.
Cleanliness nothing to say very clean
Beach... rocky but still nice -Weather was great.
Pool great
Staff is so friendly
We simply loved our vacation at that hotel.
My trip was from Dec 14 to Dec. 21. Due to the fact that there was bad weather in Toronto we were not able to return on Dec. 21st, 2014 but the staff of the hotel were very friendly about it and made us feel good.
All the guests we have met during these seven days were extremely pleased with the hotel services and would return.

Room Tip: All the rooms are great but we preferred to have a corner room the next time since balcony is much l...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
paradisusri0de0r0, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear JeannineLPT,
Thank so much for your review in TripAdvisor, we are glad you enjoyed your stay in the hotel. Sharing your experience with us and other travelers let us improve day by day. We would love to have you back soon, so let us know when make your mind up to arrange everything according to your preferences.
With kind regards from Paradisus Rio de Oro!
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Went out in October. Weather was amazing. Only rained twice (heavy), but lots of lightning shows. Unbelievable.

Our Thomas Cook rep was very good. He had brilliant English and couldn't do enough for us. Staff around the hotel were excellent. Always very polite and like to ensure you are satisfied. The entertainment staff were very good also. Aggie knew our names from the beginning and never forgot them. He would always pop over and say hello and make us feel welcomed.

The good is very good also, with a wide variety on offer across the buffet and restaurants.

Wide range of drinks on offer across the different bars inc the music bar. I think that place needs more advertising. It was brilliant when there was lots of people in. Also as a bonus it is air conned. A god send.

The ONLY down fall we had on the holiday was that we had money ttaken from our room on the first day. The head of security took swift action and done a download of our door access lock, to see if there had been any other keys used- which there wasn't. This was partly our fault as we were on first day madness, dumped our bags in the room and went for a stroll around the complex before sun down. 45 mins we returned to unpack and put our valuable things in the safe. 45 mins is all it takes I suppose. We later found out that the room door had to be pulled forcefully back to engage the lock, otherwise it looks shut, but can be pushed open. Like I said- first day madness. We were excited etc. but also you wouldn't expect it in a 5* in Cuba. Maybe a cheap hotel in magaluf.

Anyways, we didn't let it ruin our holiday. It's only money. The only complaint is that the hotel staff (general manager and head of security) were not very believing. Trying to make us feel bad about it happening in their hotel.
***The thief could have been staff but could have also been another guest. That's why I haven't marked down too much. To give fair judgement.

Exped wise. I would 100% recommend scuba diving and the sunset show with dolphins. Unbelievable!! That day was quiet possibly the highlight of the holiday. Totally surreal.

Overall I wouldn't say that the hotel was 5*. It needs a lot of modernising. We had a dodgey fusebox in our room and a loose wire had to be reinstalled on a number of occasions. -but I suppose that's part of Cuba!

• Stayed October 2013
PRO_Managment, General Manager at Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 14, 2014
Dear CashMc,
Thank you for your comments.
About your money loss, as you have stated, the corresponding security staff and authorities proved that no other persons have been in your room, so please, notice that it is not that we did or did not believe, as it was proved. And I have to point that our staff is very trustful and most of it has worked at our hotel for many years.
We have taken note of the rest of the comments and we have looked into them with our Departments. To all of us in Cuba hotels, your satisfaction is the most important thing, and with that goal we all proudly work.
Sincerely yours,

Killinghall
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

We simply loved our holiday at the paradisus rio de oro, we would love to return and would not hesitate in recommending to friends and family. Once again Trish at Number One Travel in Harrogate did not let us down, she gets lots of happy customers who stay here and we have just been added to the list! The fundamental thing that made our stay so lovely was the staff. Every single person from gardener to security guard made us feel so welcome and valued (and not for tips like in some countries). This friendliness in turn rubbed off on (most) guests. You will never please some people and this hotel is not a perfect 5* in relation to other countries but this is Cuba, if you want a perfectly pristine room with immaculate pool, don't book here but if you are prepared to overlook a few minor things and relax in the beautiful surroundings with great food and ambience, you WILL have a lovely time.

My only real gripe is the sunbed hogging by people from one particular country (who will remain nameless!). It clearly states that reserving sunbeds is not allowed, yet a lot of people disregarded this during our stay and would leave their towels on the best canopy beds from before sunrise (probably the night before) with no intention of using them sometimes until 3 or 4pm - this selfish behaviour does affect the experience of other guests and caused a few 'heated discussions' that were entertaining to watch!

All in all, the food was best 'all inclusive' we have ever had by a long way, the entertainment team were all very talented, the live music was fabulous and the beautiful beach and snorkelling made it paradise.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Keemabutch
Thank you so much for your review in TripAdvisor. We are happy you enjoy your stay in our resort and we would be very pleased to have you back soon. We are grateful you share your experience and recommend Paradisus Rio de Oro to other travelers. Our existence depends on our clients.
With kind regards,
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2014

Pros:
Quiet hotel
Great staff
Reefs to swim out to from the beach

Cons:
Big rocks and quite hazardous at times to swim out to the sea
Menus in the Royal Service restaurant monotonous as they only have a few choices and they are the same every day

This was our third visit to this resort having experienced both the Standard and Royal Service accommodation on previous trips and we were really looking forward to going back. We stayed over the Christmas and New Year period 2013 once again in the Royal Service.

I'll start with what is great about this Hotel and that is the staff who make the experience so good. I can't remember their names but the two ladies who looked after the Royal Service bar were exceptional, quickly followed by other members of staff at that bar and the room maids who did a fantastic job and made sure we got whatever we asked for. Unfortunately the beach at the main part seems to have been eroded somewhat since our last visit with many more rocks and boulders to avoid when getting into the sea. However, there are several small reefs to swim to from the main and spa beach areas which is great is you like snorkelling.

We preferred the Royal Service part as it is much quieter by the pool and has it's own beach and were looking forward to having that little extra special service which we had experienced previously. However, this is where we have noticed some decline from our previous visit. My husband was looking forward to his bottle of beck's at the bar and myself to the large perfectly cooked fillet steak at the RS Restaurant which we fondly remember from our last visit. Apparently they no longer have the beer imports and the quality of the beef in the restaurants had definitely dropped to a much cheaper cut. Overall the quality of the food just wasn't the same and we ended up eating at the restaurants in the main hotel much more frequently. The Japanese restaurant being the best followed by El Patio although the butler messed up one of our reservations by booking us into a restaurant that wasn't even open that day. We also found that the service was sometimes lacking by the Royal Service pool and had to wait a long time on several occasions to find someone at the pool bar to get a drink. We also went to the beach reserved for just the RS guests but noticed that a couple of people from the main hotel were also on the sun beds and had not been asked to leave. Not a problem in itself but when you are paying a lot more money for extra service and amenities coupled with a monotonous menu in the RS restaurant we started questioning whether paying the extra for the RS was really worth it and the answer is simply no.

During our stay we also experienced several power cuts affecting the accommodation, one of those lasting several hours so you may be advised to bring a small torch as after sunset there was no visible lighting in the rooms.

This hotel is for adults only and was one of the main reasons we booked for our first visit to guarantee a relaxing and quiet holiday so we were a little surprised this time to see a family with a small child in the RS and had heard that there were also a few in the main part as well. First and foremost, the family did not impact on our holiday at all and we only saw them a couple of times in the bar area and wandering around but when it is advertised as an adults only hotel you just don't expect to see anyone under the age of 18. We had heard that they had to let Cuban families stay if the hotel wasn't full which would explain this but really they should make that clearer when booking so you know that there 'may' be the occasional child.

This hotel is still good value for money if you stay in the main part of the hotel and we had heard from the other guests that some of the outdated rooms had been recently revamped. However, the Royal Service is no longer worth the extra that we would happily pay and we have made the decision to book elsewhere for our next beach holiday. The one thing we will miss about not going back is not seeing some of the exceptional staff who were so friendly and welcoming.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear AJWREI,
We thank you very much for sharing your experience in TripAdvisor.
Our hotel is only for adults, where you can see families sometimes is at the beach because we do not have private beaches in Cuba, but no matter occupancy, the hotel is only for adults. When there is a wedding there might be families as part of the group celebration, but just on the wedding date.
All our staff and I will love to see you again in our haven of piece for your next memorable holidays!
Sincerely yours,
Lorenzo Rubio
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holguin
The Westin Dawn Beach Resort & Spa, St. Maarten
Coral Sands Hotel
#5 of 10 in Harbour Island
4.0 of 5 stars 338 reviews
Hilton At Resorts World Bimini

Been to Paradisus Rio de Oro Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!